PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Top 10 Defense Is Almost Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it is becasue the "problem" at OLB was largely illusionary at best.

We needed Run Defense and BB addressed that very amply in the off-season. Our Defense has to start producing sacks and pressures from the other positions, like they historically did. The ILB quota was way down, the D line quota was way down. The Secondary quota was way down. But G Warren, D Lewis, BSpikes, Mckenzie and PChung all help to address those issues directly.
:eek:

Maybe you're right, Az. In fact, I hope you're right.

??? My bad, I mistyped. I just saw it and edited.
Am I misreading this? You believe Murrell is our starting OLB and Green-Ellis our starting RB?Seriously?

Agreed...........

I dont care where people rate them but if they duplicate last years D result of allowing the 5th fewest points, thats fine by me.

I dont think Murrell has jumped over anyone on the depth chart just yet.
I agree that whatever the number of OLBs when we line up in a 34 Burgess is the last one on the list to play. However, depending on Cunninghams development he maybe first on the list in sub packages.
In a perfect world, to me, Cunningham wins the job opposite TBC. Ninkovich subs in for both in the base, Burgess subs in for both in the nickel/dime. TBC and JC play about 75% of the snaps each and Ninkovich and Burgess split up the other 50% (75+75+50=200 for 2 spots).
The only issue I see there is that it seems TBC and JC would each be better suited to get their rest in the base, which would leave Burgess out of the equation.
UNLESS???? I have always thought that the best use for Burgess would be INSIDE in the nickel and dime, rushing from over the G. He did that in Philly (I think he got a sack vs us the SB from that alignment IIRC) and I think he did in Oakland too. I would love to see BB try that.
If we have TBC-Wright-Burgess-JC across the DL in nickel/dime, that could be a very effective rush. Burgess moves seem to support that he doesnt need as much open space on the outside to operate as some DEs do.

I didn't say Murrell has leapfrogged Ninkovich as one of the starters at OLB, but he clearly has the inside track on him as of right now. As another poster has said, he's played with the first string for the last couple of training camp practices and started there in the first preseason game. Being that the first game as well as the practices are the only sample size we have right now, it's safe to say that Murrell has an edge on Ninkovich. Of course anything can happen though. Maybe Murrell looks terrible in the last couple of preseason games and Ninkovich looks good. Regardless, though, somebody stepping up at OLB to give Cunningham some time to REALLY learn the defense and save him from being thrown into the fire right away might just be for the best.

Maybe Brace pulled his hamstring while he was doing the conditioning test and he could not finish and can not retake it. Lots of Brace hate - why? Do you know something new or do you like to rush to judgment and throw players under the bus? Crable was cut - he has an issue. Brace was not cut - I think we should be balanced and wait to see the real reason why before posting so much hate.

No hate. I'm a Patriots fan and I just prefer guys that help the team. Let's say you're right, Brace hurt his hamstring. That doesn't mean he's helping the team. Got nothing against the guy, but he was healthy all of last year and hardly did anything.

When it comes to guys like Murrell, Sergio Brown and Deaderick, it is hard to supplant the status quo. The one instance I see this happening is with Brace... that doesn't make me (or him) a bad person. Wilhite and Ninkovich have earned their keep, Brace hasn't. Does this mean it is impossible for Murrell or Brown? No, but I will stick with guys that have produced.

That said, I don't think BB is the kind of coach to keep a guy around just because he is a 2nd round pick, so if Brace sticks, I will be very happy. Just don't think it's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back