PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Look at The Jets Defensive Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>>>>>BOTTOM LINE
Deciding to be a smashmouth running team is the way to be easily beaten by the jets. Expecting Brady and his Bunch of receivers to win us the game is, well, the way to win the game. Just PROTECT the franchise. I do see a lot 2 TE sets.<<<<<<

Agreed. From week 1 A) The Ravens did very little on the ground against the Jets (CW says Ravens rushing game > Patriots). However, I watched Flacco move the ball in the air (CW wisdom says Ravens passing game < Patriots). Key: The Ravens gave Flacco the time to make the throws. Our OL gives Brady time and we will move the ball often and far.
B) On the other side of the ball I saw the Ravens allow little to the Jet rushing game (CW says Ravens rushing D > Patriots). Without being able to run the ball the Jets were offensively impotent. Key: Stopping the Jets rushing game.

It would be great to be able to run against the Jets but I have my doubts. My hunch is our running game will be, more often than not, keeping the defense honest. Otherwise the Patriots will, or will not, win this game through the air (and stopping them on the ground).......while not turning the ball over (which is always key).

...and how it can be effectively attacked.

Is it 4:15 on Sunday yet?

Well, I'm bored, chomping my nails off in anticipation of the coming matchup, and needed to kill some time. So, I took a look at some Ryan concepts, looked at his players, had some thoughts and sat down on my laptop with a coldbeer.

Let's start with the two most basic concepts behind Ryan's fundamental attack. His scheme relies upon attacking the blocking scheme of the offense and forcing a quick ball release. This is achieved through disguising the Mike backer, overloading a gap, and pressing receivers off of the line. In order to understand how this attacks blocking schemes, it is necessary to first understand the fundamentals of a pass blocking scheme.

Typically, the first call made after the offense breaks the huddle is the identification of the Mike linebacker. This is sometimes made by both the QB and center, othertimes just by the center. Think of the Mike backer as the strength of the defensive formation. Just as you would hear defenses call out "strong left", offenses will call out "52 is Mike". Almost everything in defensive football boiled down it it's most basic, fundamental level flows through the Mike linebacker. This is in large part because of the premium on the middle of the field. Look at how defenses are built. Nose, Mike and Will, SS. Everything from flow to the football to coverage to blitzing runs through the Mike. From 2-gap 34 to Ryan 34 to Johnson 43 to Tampa-2, it all places a premium on the alignment and responsibility of the mike. If he's not there to blitz or eat a blocker he is there to compensate for a weakened area. In the context of the passing game, he is your best key in the anticipation of a blitz or coverage. Take this read away and the offense is already in an anticipation disadvantage.

The next part of what makes Ryan's scheme effective is the overload blitz. This is again an attack on the pass protection concept. As a very general rule, most protections rely upon the blocker to defend a zone of closeness. Take the man closest to your face, and put a premium on defending the most direct line to the football. This is in response to stunts and loops that are designed to confuse man blocking scheme. For example; the offense is set in a singleback set with the TE aligned to the right of the formation. The defense is in a basic 43 call. In a very basic call the tackle is responsible for the weakside end, and the guard is responsible for the 3-technique. When the ball is snapped the 3-tech drives across the face of the guard, drawing him inwards. The defensive end accelerates towards the outside shoulder of the tackle, pulling him outwards in his drop steps. There is now a large rushing lane opened in the B-gap. The Will backer attacks the B-gap and the back steps up to block the Will. Tackle has outside responsibility, guard has inside responsibility, back has blitzer. Same thing would have happened if the 3-tech shot the B-Gap, and the Mike came through the A gap. Now, let's add a walked up free safety coming through the B-Gap off of the azz of the Will. No matter what the o-line does, someone is going to come free. This example isn't perfect nor absolute but it does a good job of illustrating my point.

When you know that someone is going to come to the QB, and do so in a hurry, the next logical progression is a quick release of the football. The most obvious counter to this is the slant, and other routes that attack the inside of the field. This is why the interior defenders in blitz mandated man coverage will often play inside technique and jam the receivers. Force the progression to take as long as possible and remove the obvious areas. It also helps to have corners with great ball skills as rushed throws are often errent throws (Cromartie and Wilson are both examples of this). This seems great in theory. Create indecision, force panic, force rushed plays, penetrate and attack to create negative plays. If done effectively, it shortens the field and greatly limits the potential of the offense. It's the inverse of great Belichick defensive football, but the desired result is the same. It's difficult to attack, but because it is a hard philsophy and not an adaptable concept it can be beaten.

The first thing you look at when scheming any defense is how are they going to attack you. We already know this. What follows is the identification of it's vulnerability. We know there are going to be zones vacated. We know that if blocked it is highly vulnerable. We know that the seams are going to be open. We know that their safeties are going to be in cover-0, or at most cover-1. You then look at what your own strengths are. Tight ends, passing game backs, slot receivers, and a flanker that must be respected. This is an interesting blend of strengths. It gives you the ability to spread the defense out and play the numbers and route game with your inside recievers. A valid option, but not necessarily absolutely prudent given the concession of immediate pressure in conjunction with press. You can also man up the tight ends and play the body positioning and physical mismatch game. Hmm, interesting. With two tight ends and your passing game back in there you can do a lot of things. You can line up your big tight end as the H and motion him towards the overload. He can chip the exterior defender and release to an uncovered seam. The back can pick up the interior defender. You will win this matchup every time. You can take your receiving tight end and play him in the seam as the Y draws the interior corner. I like that set. Then there's the option of the bunch formation creating your own overload. If they're in man, they are going to be forced to sell out their blitz or give it up all together. You are going to draw their outside man over the interior reciever in the bunch (especially if it is a TE) if they are going to play straight man. This will negate their overload. If they don't respect it and stick to the blitz, you have an easy hot hitch, or if you really want to get fancy an easy jet crack on the playside OLB and a quick toss that will outflank the blitz and is well blocked.

Well, this is a fun topic of conversation, and I hope that others can chime in on this geekout session. What I said obviously isn't perfect nor absolute, but is in my mind a pretty logical way of looking at things. If you have something to add or just think I'm an idiot please add on!

Oh man I am just marinating in this orgasmic intellectuality.

I would only add this- to factor in is the personality of the DC, Ryan. The man is nothing if not flamboyant. It is in his nature to inevitably go all in, so you know he will build to a point where he just wants to go all in, and rush 7 or 8 for the fumble or sack. He does not understand victory in increments.

I think that at all cost we must jump out to a lead, and from that point on his defense becomes more diagnosable because you know he will not sit still and play a game of chess, and at that point you know the overloads are for real and not disguises. He loves his safety blitzes, and you know they are coming on the outside slant, when he has stopped respecting the seam.

My educated guess is that we open in the no huddle/empty set because Ryan will try to cash in early, and hit hard and get the turnover to get his QB the ball asap, because he does not want Sanchez in the position of having to play from behind.

Hope to see much more of this. It's very rare when the intelligentsia on this board speaks out, but when that happens, it's pretty awesome.

Hey man, that was a great read. I like to think of myself as pretty educated with the little things in football, but I definately learned a few things from this thread. Thanks, man. Keep it up.

Great read Jay, love seeing what you have to say before the game and as it is going on. You have a great eye and mind for what is going on on the field. Please keep up the great work! Even when I disagree with what you are saying about a game I am quickly proven wrong by paying a little more attention. Appreciate the education man!

Everytime I read one of Jay's posts or talk to him I feel like my knowledge of how football works increased by a large, appreciable amount. It's just crazy, great work man.

This is why this website is best football forum anywhere. This had to be one of the most educational post ever for me. Compared to typical Jests 'Brady + Goat = Love' bs, this is intellectually sound post. Thank you and please keep them coming. Oh and I have to ask....on Patscast, when they say Jay, is it you? For some weird reason, I always thought it was Kontradiction....now that i see your name with this post....heh...

jays52 = Jay
Kontradiction = Sean

They've both been on PatsCast before, so maybe that's why?

Great OP!

On a secondary point that has taken hold on this thread: the Ravens are a run first team - it therefore makes sense that the Jets overloaded their defensive playcalling to compensate for this.

The Patriots are a passing team, therefore the running game has potential to be more effective simply because the D isn't scheming as hard against it.

Thats not to say the Patriots should come out in the I-form and pound the rock all day - just that a healthy run/pass balance could reap direct benefit aswell as pushing the Jets D away from a defense that focuses mainly on the ball being thrown every down.

Jay, can I just say - the moment I see your name on the message board, I feel I need to read your posts.

Much respect dude. Awesome thread.

By the way, do you mind if I re-produce this somewhere else?

After a week of Moss Babble, Brady Crowd Talk, "what happens if Revis" talk.. find this a remarkable post and a very nice breath of intelligent football... kudos, nice job..

This deserves a huge bump...

Last edited:
Great post. I particularly like your thoughts about what specific plays might prove effective against the various blitz packages.

Let's start with the two most basic concepts behind Ryan's fundamental attack. His scheme relies upon attacking the blocking scheme of the offense and forcing a quick ball release. This is achieved through disguising the Mike backer, overloading a gap, and pressing receivers off of the line.
When you know that someone is going to come to the QB, and do so in a hurry, the next logical progression is a quick release of the football. The most obvious counter to this is the slant, and other routes that attack the inside of the field. This is why the interior defenders in blitz mandated man coverage will often play inside technique and jam the receivers. Force the progression to take as long as possible and remove the obvious areas. It also helps to have corners with great ball skills as rushed throws are often errent throws (Cromartie and Wilson are both examples of this). This seems great in theory. Create indecision, force panic, force rushed plays, penetrate and attack to create negative plays. If done effectively, it shortens the field and greatly limits the potential of the offense.

The pyschology of the blitz, where the Franchise gets beat-up is an important element of this. Pain is a powerful motivator, and if your leader gets psyched out, the effect can cascade through the team, particularly the blockers whose job it is to protect him. That aspect of the Jets strategy will be much less effective than last year, when Brady had all of one game under his belt since a blitzer took out his knee. Much is made of the home-field advantage in the difference between two outcomes, and it is real, but I wouldn't overlook the timing of the two games either. This year, I expect Brady to be much more comfortable back there and much more comfortable taking a hit or two, and therefore will be more analytical and ready to dissect the Jets D, as you describe.

With two tight ends and your passing game back in there you can do a lot of things. You can line up your big tight end as the H and motion him towards the overload. He can chip the exterior defender and release to an uncovered seam. The back can pick up the interior defender. You will win this matchup every time.

I think this will be key, not necessarily the motioning towarrd the overload, but the ability of Gronk/Crumpler to chip and release. I'm not entirely sold on Gronk's skill development in this area. When I've watched him (admittedly a very small sample set), he hasn't seemed to get the cleanest release. I do think Alge will be the man today. The chip/release is not only a strength of his, but his experience should help him recognize the pass rush and not be as readily fooled by the fake rush, where the defender jab steps to fake a rush before dropping into coverage. He's also like having a third tackle on the field when he stays in to block or when the Pats run a draw.

I'm hoping we have some creative draw plays utilizing a motioning H-back to trap a penetrating Dlineman and spring a run a gap away from the overload. Not sure that Ryan's defense has strong enough tendencies to pull this off yet, but I'd still like to see them try. A couple 10 or 15-yard runs would be the best way to slow down the blitzers.

You can take your receiving tight end and play him in the seam as the Y draws the interior corner. I like that set. Then there's the option of the bunch formation creating your own overload. If they're in man, they are going to be forced to sell out their blitz or give it up all together. You are going to draw their outside man over the interior reciever in the bunch (especially if it is a TE) if they are going to play straight man. This will negate their overload. If they don't respect it and stick to the blitz, you have an easy hot hitch, or if you really want to get fancy an easy jet crack on the playside OLB and a quick toss that will outflank the blitz and is well blocked.

It will be intersting to see how the Pats mix spread and compact formations throughout the game. The fact that they can go 3 or 4-wide with a 2TE/2WR/1RB personnel grouping will give it a different look than the spread formations of the past three years. I expect the Jets would like to be in a 3-3-5 nickel with the Pats in a 3-wide, but if Gronk is split to the slot, Wilson would be in for an entirely new experience in press coverage :D. If they go heavier, to match-up with the TEs against run and pass, then a S would be over the split TE, leading to the problem you describe.

Less than 8-hours to game time. This is going to be fun. (This thread even has me looking forward to the post-game analysis.)

I just want to know how they are going to stop Woodhead

iam little concerned of matt light vs jason taylor..

iam little concerned of matt light vs jason taylor..

Taylor is useless, I keep forgetting he's even on the Jests. A shell of his former self.

The key to this game really is the blocking. One of my favorite plays against the blitz is the counter play. By using the defense's aggressiveness against it, and a little bit of misleading overload and misdirection, you can often rip off huge gainers in the run game. Once the defense has to respect the run, then you have the ability to go PA and get even bigger gainers.

The Jets are also missing Kris Jenkins which might affect their stoutness against the run. So I would test the underbelly of that Jets defense until they show they can stop the run. A good mix of solid run plays and smart pass plays and the Pats O could potentially shred the Jets D.

The Jets have talked about putting Revis on Welker to shut down the short safety valve while their defense applies pressure. I don't believe this will be entirely successful, but I suppose it's a better option for them then dying of a 'thousand paper cuts'. I just don't think Cromartie is up to stopping Moss. Tate, Edelman, Hernandez, and Gronk potentially could also have a field day.

As always, great post Jays. We've heard a lot about Revis on Moss, and now Revis on Welker. Welker was a huge key for us last season, but what do you think of Gronk's potential impact? I expect he'll help in the blocking game, but he'll also be a dangerous receiving threat. The Jets don't really have anyone who can match up with him either. I'm hoping for huge games out of all our TEs.

As always, great post Jays. We've heard a lot about Revis on Moss, and now Revis on Welker. Welker was a huge key for us last season, but what do you think of Gronk's potential impact? I expect he'll help in the blocking game, but he'll also be a dangerous receiving threat. The Jets don't really have anyone who can match up with him either. I'm hoping for huge games out of all our TEs.

If I'm the Patriots I'm praying they do that. Revis is out of shape right now and I want his ass inside where my biguns can hurt him. If they show me Revis on Welker, I'm going bunch and putting Welker off the line near Gronk and Hernandez. They love to blitz into the throw, as it clogs passing lanes. This mandates that their outside pressure is going to have to either abandon the overload or leave Revis in a two on one. They remain in pressure, I hit Welker on the hitch and instruct my TE's to punish Revis. Violently. They respect the bunch and I've got a mismatch with Gronk on a safety or Hernandez on an OLB. Hell, Maybe I don't even use Hernandez and leave Tate in the game with Welker, Gronk, Moss, and Faulk. I bunch up Gronk and Welker, motion Faulk into the weakside slot, and hit the vacated area. I can also keep Faulk in and run a simple drag with Tate working against Wilson. Wilson can't run with Tate, and a quick dump over the blitz into the zone cleared out by the cheated safeties and suddenly Tate is in a punt return situation.

Further, I know that they are going to be forced into doubling Moss with the safety over the top which allows Faulk to leak into the flat unmolested or one on one with a 34 OLB. I can also run directly at Revis and pull Neal over to kick him out off of a post block from Welker. Any way you slice it, if you put Revis in the slot against New England, you are either getting your defense or your corner hurt.

And that is really the beauty of the Pats offense this season. The emergence of Tate, and the additions of Hernandez and Gronkowski as real threats at TE just add so much more to what the Pats can do to attack a defense. Having Welker healthy is key because if the Jets decide to stop him, as they appear to have committed to for this game, then the rest of their defense looks awful leaky against our other weapons. Moss ain't no 'slouch' and if the Jets leave him in 1 on 1 coverage with Cromartie, look for us to take shots over the top and make big plays.

Dear Bill O'Brien: Please read this thread. Nice work in the first half. Second half I know you coulda seen this on your mobile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye