PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A little piece of history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I have never heard it before.

I was just watching a piece from NFL films about Ernie Accorsi, the GM of the Giants and used to be of the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Colts. Accorsi is the GM that drafted John Elway even though Elway said he would never go play there. A couple of days before the draft Accorsi received a telephone call from Chuck Sullivan offering John Hannah and a first round draft pick for Elway. I was surprised when I heard that.

What would have become of the Patriots organization if that trade had gone through? They had some pretty good teams mid to late 80's, with a HOF QB would they have won a Super Bowl in that time frame? Would Elway have come here? There would have been no Bledsoe.

Maybe no 1-15 and 2-14 seasons, which means Parcell probably never would have ended up here, and in turn no Belichick.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
What would have become of the Patriots organization if that trade had gone through? They had some pretty good teams mid to late 80's, with a HOF QB would they have won a Super Bowl in that time frame? Would Elway have come here? There would have been no Bledsoe.

Maybe no 1-15 and 2-14 seasons, which means Parcell probably never would have ended up here, and in turn no Belichick.

Well, there's that, and the Pats organization would have had to manipulate the salary cap, in order to get other great players and keep existing great players in order to win a SB with Elway... then we'd have gotten fined by the NFL etc... woulda been a mess... :p

was there a salary cap in 1983?

Na_polian said:
Well, there's that, and the Pats organization would have had to manipulate the salary cap, in order to get other great players and keep existing great players in order to win a SB with Elway... then we'd have gotten fined by the NFL etc... woulda been a mess... :p
my take on it is tthat elway would have gotten trampled behind the weakned patriots offensive line and gotten shell shocked. like jim plunkett.
besides i don't think elways dad would have let him go to the patriots either. not if he'd met any of the sullivans.

ilduce06410 said:
my take on it is tthat elway would have gotten trampled behind the weakned patriots offensive line and gotten shell shocked. like jim plunkett.
besides i don't think elways dad would have let him go to the patriots either. not if he'd met any of the sullivans.
Not to mention the weakened defense with Tippett out in those days. They were dark days, indeed. There was Andre Tippett, Garin Veris, and another starter out for season in the last exhibition game. Any one remember who the third player was? Anyway, it always reminded me of the plane crash when Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and The Big Bopper Clarence "Frogman" Henry went down.

jczxohn1 said:
Not to mention the weakened defense with Tippett out in those days. They were dark days, indeed. There was Andre Tippett, Garin Veris, and another starter out for season in the last exhibition game. Any one remember who the third player was? Anyway, it always reminded me of the plane crash when Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and The Big Bopper Clarence "Frogman" Henry went down.

Ronnie Lippett was the third, I believe.

Ain't got no home...

jczxohn1 said:
Anyway, it always reminded me of the plane crash when Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and The Big Bopper Clarence "Frogman" Henry went down.
:eek: Sorry, the anal-rententive 'Joel Whitburn' in me just has to interject... I hope it was a typo but, Clarence Henry and The Big Bopper ([size=-1]JP Richardson) were not the same person. "Frogman" was still alive and performing, to my knowledge, as recently as March of 2005.
[/size]

T-ShirtDynasty said:
:eek: Sorry, the anal-rententive 'Joel Whitburn' in me just has to interject... I hope it was a typo but, Clarence Henry and The Big Bopper ([size=-1]JP Richardson) were not the same person. "Frogman" was still alive and performing, to my knowledge, as recently as March of 2005.
[/size]
Right you are.........

a ponytail hangin' down

Last edited:
jczxohn1 said:
Not to mention the weakened defense with Tippett out in those days. They were dark days, indeed. There was Andre Tippett, Garin Veris, and another starter out for season in the last exhibition game. .... it always reminded me of the plane crash when Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and The Big Bopper ... went down.

Clear Lake, Iowa.

The Day The Music Died.

Na_polian said:

No salary cap back in 1983. I believe it started in 1992 or later, well into Elway's career. Elway wouldn't have played for the Pats I believe. He was making the choices, and I bet the Pats weren't on his list.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
:)

A wiggle in her walk and a giggle in her talk

Damn, TSD, are you that old?? Perhaps you were in the caveman league with NEM??

Great history lesson, but BB was "born to be my baby....." ;)

scott99 said:
No salary cap back in 1983. I believe it started in 1992 or later, well into Elway's career. Elway wouldn't have played for the Pats I believe. He was making the choices, and I bet the Pats weren't on his list.

im glad we didnt get him

jczxohn1 said:

That was 1989 when the starters went down in the final exhibition season. 1983, the year Elway was drafted, the Pats were 8-8. '84-'88 they had a winning record, with a couple of 11-5's in there. Elway could have quite possibly sent them over the top.

Way OT :)

Bill's Girl said:
Damn, TSD, are you that old?? Perhaps you were in the caveman league with NEM??

Great history lesson, but BB was "born to be my baby....." ;)
:rofl: Actually, I'm not that old. Just as luck would turn out, I cut my teeth in the radio business playing songs that were popular before my birth, a year or two playing "oldies" and quite a few years in the "Classic Rock" genre before I ever got to "my" music. I ended up loving The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly as much as I loved Bon Jovi (well at least the early stuff). To this day I'm still a musical encyclopedia and musical schizophrenic, a typical mixed CD of mine will go from Neil Diamond to Metallica to Rod McKuen to Jefferson Airplane to Limp Bizkit with a bit of Vivaldi mixed in. Most people hate to be stuck in a car on long trips with me, I'll cover the entire history of recorded music between Portland, Maine and Port Jarvis, New Jersey, including highly boring factoids and stories about each band between songs. :D

jczxohn1 said:

I thing it was Tim Goad.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
:rofl: Actually, I'm not that old. Just as luck would turn out, I cut my teeth in the radio business playing songs that were popular before my birth, a year or two playing "oldies" and quite a few years in the "Classic Rock" genre before I ever got to "my" music. I ended up loving The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly as much as I loved Bon Jovi (well at least the early stuff). To this day I'm still a musical encyclopedia and musical schizophrenic, a typical mixed CD of mine will go from Neil Diamond to Metallica to Rod McKuen to Jefferson Airplane to Limp Bizkit with a bit of Vivaldi mixed in. Most people hate to be stuck in a car on long trips with me, I'll cover the entire history of recorded music between Portland, Maine and Port Jarvis, New Jersey, including highly boring factoids and stories about each band between songs. :D

HA!! Good stuff, but I probably would have kicked you out of the car around Wells, maybe York.....you wouldn't have made it into New Hampshire, the factiods would have been the last straw! :D

Way off topic, but it is hard to imagine BB rocking out to Bon Jovi......my girlfriends and I spent endless days in front of MTV drooling over him when we were 16, you know with our big hair tied up in bandanas like the one Jon used to wear in the Wanted Dead or Alive video? I wonder if BB ever wore a bandana? :D

brian holloway?

DaBruinz said:
I thing it was Tim Goad.
tippett, lippett, and holloway?
was tony collins on those teams?
what about pete brock?

ilduce06410 said:

Hannah was not the only great OL on those lines.

Bill Lenkaitis, Leon Gray, Pete Brock, Brian Holloway, Steve Farrell,, and quite a few other decent OLs played alongside Hannah.

DaBruinz said:
I thing it was Tim Goad.
Lippett was the right answer. Goad, incidently was the NT that BB was probably thinking of when he signed Klecko. 6'2", 285 lb and a rock in the middle.

:)
Lord, makes the world go 'roun,'roun, 'roun.......

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Here's one for you TSD--The best song Elvis ever recorded was on the flip side of "Heartbreak Hotel". What was it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back