PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A bit concerned about our D-Line...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We gave up over 100+ yards to a mediocre team, this was poor performance by our D-Line inside and out and of course our linebackers didn't do a good job.
Also with Dominique Easley being injured, its a big blow to our D-Line...this was supposed to be the year he could have proved himself to be worthy of the round 1 pick....we will see if he is sidelined for an extended period of time.

At this time we have no one on our roster to fill the big void Vince left us...hopefully one of these guys can have a breakout year and prove to us they can be the next Wilfork for our D....

I think it was at least partly a preparation issue. They didn't look prepared for the DeAngelo Williams they got tonight. He has a lot more burst than I remember.

Serious? We had multiple rookies playing on the dline, and didn't play all 3 LB that much. We clearly wanted to stop the pass more than run. Obviously setting the edge and other errors will occur, its the first friggin game. This is probably the best and deepest dline in quite some time. Our front 7 has a bunch of potential. Hopefully easley doesn't get IR, and can return to add to that depth and talent.

I thought it was interesting to see Easley and Brown start and play somewhat extensively as DTs (until the injury, of course), with Ninkovich and Jones at DE. After going back and forth as to whether or not Siliga was "rotational" or a starter, it appears as though the coaches were fine with giving Brown a chance as the bigger bodied DT. I kind of saw this coming with the high round pick, but I've got to admit that I think I feel more comfortable with Siliga starting and Brown being the rotational player.

As far as Easley goes, those hip injuries can be serious, so let's hope for the best. It would be a blow for sure.

I don't know what we can take from this first game, aside from the fact that neither the DL or the secondary looked too hot (in my opinion). It could have been the scheme for the game, some poor play, or a bit of both.

Still waiting for full-game snap counts, but @pff_natejahnke gave them for the first half. In the 33 first-half snaps, there were 26 combined snaps from the three big bodies (mostly Brown plus a little Branch and Siliga) and 8 from Easley before he got hurt. That's 34 snaps from the DTs in 33 defensive snaps, basically an average of one per snap. All the other "interior" snaps were going to Grissom and Jones.

For some snaps in the second half, the Pats were putting defenders in what would have looked like a 3-4 alignment, except that the DEs were Jones and Sheard (who aren't 3-4 DEs) and one of the ILBs was Chung. The Pats dared the Steelers to run, and they had success on the stat sheet but not a ton of success turning it into consistent scoring drives.

If there's anything to be worried about, it'd be that they weren't getting consistent pressure (although it appeared to be better late in the game) even though there were 3 or 4 DEs on the field at a time. Against the run, this looked awfully like the 2013 Broncos game, not ideal but pretty much expected.

I'm guessing he means 100+ yds on the ground, specifically.

If that's the case, they are one of the best running teams in football, so it's wrong. The Steelers could have the best (statistically speaking) offense in the league come playoff time. If the Patriots change personnel and go bigger to stop the run, they probably give up a lot more through the air. I mean, yeah, defense wasn't great, but they weren't bad considering the opposition.

I think people are seriously underrating the Steelers offense. Ben had 2 6-TD games in-a-row last year. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have another this year. So you have to sell out and stop the pass. It's frustrating to watch, but the defense has to play small and back on the Steelers. Pressuring Roethlisberger is a lot easier said than done.

We gave up over 100+ yards to a mediocre team, this was poor performance by our D-Line inside and out and of course our linebackers didn't do a good job.
Also with Dominique Easley being injured, its a big blow to our D-Line...this was supposed to be the year he could have proved himself to be worthy of the round 1 pick....we will see if he is sidelined for an extended period of time.

At this time we have no one on our roster to fill the big void Vince left us...hopefully one of these guys can have a breakout year and prove to us they can be the next Wilfork for our D....
Pitt may end up 8-8 -- certainly in the realm of possibility -- but that's hardly a mediocre *offense* you faced tonight. D. Williams is a rejuvenated back with some actual talent (particularly now that he's back at a good playing weight), and Pitt's offensive line is a good unit. Both fan bases should be cautious not to overreact about their defenses, as not every offense will be like New England's (or Pittsburgh's).

That said, I was a bit surprised that Pittsburgh got a consistent push in the run game. But you all have a lot of young (and talented) players in that front 7...I imagine it will be very different later in the year.

pitts offensively is not a mediocre team. Some of the throws ben made today were amazing.
If that's the case, they are one of the best running teams in football, so it's wrong. The Steelers could have the best (statistically speaking) offense in the league come playoff time. If the Patriots change personnel and go bigger to stop the run, they probably give up a lot more through the air. I mean, yeah, defense wasn't great, but they weren't bad considering the opposition.

I think people are seriously underrating the Steelers offense. Ben had 2 6-TD games in-a-row last year. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have another this year. So you have to sell out and stop the pass. It's frustrating to watch, but the defense has to play small and back on the Steelers. Pressuring Roethlisberger is a lot easier said than done.

No, just to clarify--I'm not meaning to be a smart ass in the least. I simply thought there was a misunderstanding as to what the OP was implying with his "we gave up 100+ yards" comment. He should've said "100+ yds on the ground."

I certainly realize the error in his comment about a "mediocre" team and agree that PIT is a top level NFL offense. I wasn't addressing that in my attempt at clarification, that's all.

No, just to clarify--I'm not meaning to be a smart ass in the least. I simply thought there was a misunderstanding as to what the OP was implying with his "we gave up 100+ yards" comment. He should've said "100+ yds on the ground."

I certainly realize the error in his comment about a "mediocre" team and agree that PIT is a top level NFL offense. I wasn't addressing that in my attempt at clarification, that's all.

I really didn't take into account that I was technically responding to you with my post. I knew what you meant. My mistake.

I'd like to see Sheard take more snaps, he has potentials and can easily make an amazing duo with Jones on the other side, but in order for this combo to work we need our interior defensive tackles to do a better job clogging up the middle.

And yes I meant 100+ yards on the ground, hopefully we do a better job next week against the bills or we going to be in trouble against shady and the gang.

I really didn't take into account that I was technically responding to you with my post. I knew what you meant. My mistake.

No worries, man. I just didn't want you to think I was trying to be a smart ass, that's all :)

I'd like to see Sheard take more snaps, he has potentials and can easily make an amazing duo with Jones on the other side, but in order for this combo to work we need our interior defensive tackles to do a better job clogging up the middle.

And yes I meant 100+ yards on the ground, hopefully we do a better job next week against the bills or we going to be in trouble against shady and the gang.

I think it was probably a lot of specific game planning due to attempting to take away big plays (which didn't really work that well, although it's hard to argue with 14 pts in "real" game time).

I would expect a totally different approach next week @ Buffalo, although I agree that all parts of the defense need to make improvement if we can base anything off of tonight.

Ninko had an awful night in the edge tonight

Yes, I'm sure that will be a point of emphasis for Belichick and the front seven coaches this week.

Ninko had an awful night in the edge tonight

He's my favorite player on the defense, but he has had a lot of trouble containing since last year. Really, the Carolina game was the first time I've seen him look that bad. It seems that, once a game, we see him slowly chasing a QB to the outside with zero ability to actually catch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes