PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A bigger impact for the defense: Dashon Goldson or Aqib Talib?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense to Tavon - but I'm hoping smokescreen.

Greg, any idea what the team thinks of Gregory's performance this year?

That;s what I thought. Patriots moved up to pick Tavon Wilson (which everyone said... who?).

Yet, Tavon shared Safety position with Gregory.

IMO - Gregory was average at best. He is definitely not a very good tackler...

I would just put Tavon in this entire season, and see how it goes. Then, sign a man/press CB, if not Talib, or any of the 3 remaining free-agents, go to the NFL draft route, and select Johnthan Banks in the 1st round. Analysts consider him to be a Talib-like CB.

Thanks for the followup, and I appreciate you checking into it. I still don't buy the idea that they're all for Wilson as the starter, though. They had to see the same Tavon Wilson we all did, because it seemed pretty clear that he's nowhere near ready. His snaps in the playoffs certainly indicate that they saw the same thing, and I don't see BB risking another season on subpar DB play.
I don't disagree with that, and like I said, I may have been smoke screened. But I don't think so.

When you look at the laundry list of needs on this team (WRs, CBs, backups all along OL, 3rd DE, DT) when you look at the depth chart -- something I'll do for Tuesday -- safety is well, well down the list. They have four. And I don't think they're bringing in anybody else unless other things fall through and there's good value.

Greg, would you agree that the safety position needs to be addressed? And if so do you see them splashing big on FA or draft?
In a perfect world would I like it to be addressed? Yes. On the list of things the team needs for next season, it's way down the list. There are positions way more thin than S, though they're not great there.

IMO CB,WR is a much bigger issue right now

Greg...I'm a Pats fan since DAY ONE...what the old timers want is a defensive edge rusher....someone on this team needs to get the QB's eyes DOWN as the game progresses...not head up lobbing passes to taller receivers over our smurf CB's. I was close to the field during the Ravens game and watched as the line was continually stymied, held up and moved around while Flacco played pitch and catch.

More pressure...less time for the QB to make decisions...the whole defense looks and plays better.

Of course I'm going to be wrong as per usual but I fully expect Belichick to take Matt Elam in the draft so I don't expect to see us sign anybody for that position in FA.

If that happens, I will drive to Foxborough & vomit down Bill's throat.

I don't disagree with that, and like I said, I may have been smoke screened. But I don't think so.

When you look at the laundry list of needs on this team (WRs, CBs, backups all along OL, 3rd DE, DT) when you look at the depth chart -- something I'll do for Tuesday -- safety is well, well down the list. They have four. And I don't think they're bringing in anybody else unless other things fall through and there's good value.

I think you (and the Patriots, if your source is telling it as the team really sees it) and I have a fundamental disagreement about the safety position, because I only see one safety worth starting, two safeties who are backups and no more, and one guy who made Sergio Brown look like Ed Reed in his prime by comparison.

Talib x1000 they are a different team with him. He works within their system they should do everything to retain him. Most likely they'll let him walk and replace him with Dunta Robinson who can get toasted like all the other scrap heap corners we bring in since we can't draft them worth CRAP and Bill refuses to spend money on them.

I think you (and the Patriots, if your source is telling it as the team really sees it) and I have a fundamental disagreement about the safety position, because I only see one safety worth starting, two safeties who are backups and no more, and one guy who made Sergio Brown look like Ed Reed in his prime by comparison.

Come now, nobody can be as bad as brown. The guy cost us two Super Bowls in two years.

In a perfect world would I like it to be addressed? Yes. On the list of things the team needs for next season, it's way down the list. There are positions way more thin than S, though they're not great there.

Thanks for responding back! I hope its a smoke screen and that's a position they upgrade...I love mccourty back there, but I don't see Tavon Wilson as anything special. Hope I'm wrong

Come now, nobody can be as bad as brown. The guy cost us two Super Bowls in two years.

Brown could get in the right area code, at least. Ebner.... not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results