PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

85 AFC Championship Game on youtube, just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent, I will watch that during next week. I remember the season well, the Superbowl was a huge letdown but that was one great Bears team that year.

Bob Costas looks like he's aged about 1 week since that game.

i wasn't around in 85, but just watched the 1st half:

its really really really cool to see a game from back then, some notes

-the olinemen seem to EXPLODE from the ball, its amazing, i have never before seen anything like it, today they jump off the ball, establish position, and THEN drive the d line back (or not) but in this game they completely throw themselves at the d line from the start, its incredible to watch

-playing D lineman at 37 years old really is something, how does one do that? lol

-i have never before seen a game of dan marino's, just a highlight here or there, he never won a SB, so he was always lower on my best ever list....but i see why hes in the discussion after watching only a half game of his, the guy could throw, and was an incredible passer...his resemblance to Peyton Manning is incredible, including his average to bad playoff stats

question: how come eason was playing instead of grogan? was he injured? he was dressed on the sideline

p.s. the 85 bears are today thought of as monumental as a defense, but it seems fromt he commentators that the Pats defense wasnt all that bad itself...kinka makes me think that defense wasnt all its cracked up to be today

Those uniforms destroy the current ones. 2nd best unis ever behind The Chargers powder blues.
January 1986, 1st Pats victory in The Orange Bowl since November of 1966.
I was a 19 year old sophomore in college at that point. Their previous win, I was 2 months old.

And you think The Bills losing streak to The Pats is long. It ain't nothing compared to this road one.

And The Dolphins were the only team to beat The Bears that year.

Pete Axhelm, the guy who was on NBC's studio team, at halftime of The Super Bowl, said,"It's men against boys out there, Bob."
I wanted to reach through the t.v. and strangle him.
He was a freaking horse handicapper, in the model of Jimmy The Greek, whom NBC brought in to play that oddsmaker role.

Anyway, that AFC Championship game was the sweetest moment of 40 years of Patriots football. Too bad everybody under 40 on this board is convinced they blew every year. You'd think that's some bazaar twist on reality the way everyone reacts to the throwback unis. Do your research. I suggest Pro Football Reference website.
1976-1988- 13 consecutive seasons. 11 winning ones, one even one, and ONE losing season. How does that sound? What? Your stats don't go back before Dod Rust & **** McPhereson? That was like 5 years worth.

BTW, the defense needs to effing come of age tonight. 2007 was a long, long time ago. I'm getting sick of them always losing in prime time. When the whole nation is watching, the Patriots have not beaten a marquee team since the 2007 season AFC Championship game. 2008- losses vs. Pitt and in San Diego. 2009- in Indy & New Orleans. And the playoff blowout vs. Ravens. Am I missing or leaving out another or two? I dunno. It's 5 in the morning and I can't sleep again. Hi Patjew. lol.

That was the 1st of 5 consecutive AFC Championship Game wins.
85- At Miami
96- vs. Jaguars (who upset the afc favorites in Denver the week before)
01- At Pitt
03- vs. Indy
04- At Pitt (What? Again? bwah. We need a damn repeat performance tonight)

6-1 overall. That freaking rules. Only Steelers & Cowboys been to more Super Bowls. We're even with Denver, but we win the tiebreaker because we're 3-3 and they're 2-4 in the big game.

i wasn't around in 85, but just watched the 1st half:

its really really really cool to see a game from back then, some notes

-the olinemen seem to EXPLODE from the ball, its amazing, i have never before seen anything like it, today they jump off the ball, establish position, and THEN drive the d line back (or not) but in this game they completely throw themselves at the d line from the start, its incredible to watch

-playing D lineman at 37 years old really is something, how does one do that? lol

-i have never before seen a game of dan marino's, just a highlight here or there, he never won a SB, so he was always lower on my best ever list....but i see why hes in the discussion after watching only a half game of his, the guy could throw, and was an incredible passer...his resemblance to Peyton Manning is incredible, including his average to bad playoff stats

question: how come eason was playing instead of grogan? was he injured? he was dressed on the sideline

p.s. the 85 bears are today thought of as monumental as a defense, but it seems fromt he commentators that the Pats defense wasnt all that bad itself...kinka makes me think that defense wasnt all its cracked up to be today

Eason was the starter in 1985 at that point. Grogan started 5 or 6 games but I think it was due to Eason injuries. Eason started almost all of 1984 and 1986, too. 1987 became a clusterfart of QBs and by 1988 Flutie was starting most games.

Ahh... good memories. Thank you.

I'd forgotten what its like to watch a game where the player(s) don't dance after every play.

Last edited:
thank you: great !

what a game !

Eason managed at best the play-off run

Last edited:
Wow,,thankyou for that. Great memories for me while studying in London. Thats when i really became an avid fan. Cheers.

Eason was the starter in 1985 at that point. Grogan started 5 or 6 games but I think it was due to Eason injuries. Eason started almost all of 1984 and 1986, too. 1987 became a clusterfart of QBs and by 1988 Flutie was starting most games.

Yep. IIRC Eason started the year and got benched. Grogan played great and then broke his fibula. Eason played pretty well actually down the stretch. He was a caretaker QB but with that running game and defense, he didn't need to be Drew Bledsoe and chuck it 40 times a game.

That defense was vastly underrated. When Ken Sims decided to play, he was an absolute wrecking machine. Veris was an excellent pass rusher on the interior. The secondary was full of ball-hawks. The LBs need no introduction. Next to the Giants and Bears they had the best unit in the NFL IMO.

**** Steinberg deserves a ton of credit for assembling that talent. He was an outstanding personnel guy.

Last edited:
For those of us who grew up watching in the 197s, I can't even begin to describe to you what the win at Miami felt like--in the championship game no less.

That Orange Bowl was a house of hell for the Patriots for eons. They just couldn't win down there, and more than anything that factor kept the franchise down. Winning in the AFCCG released a bunch of demons.

Here's a question about QBs:

You're in the Super Bowl, you have one QB to chose from between Elway, Manning and Marino, who do you take?

My answer: Marino--and it's an easy decision.

Aye. Thanks for posting that. I was born one year later so I wasn't around for this one. I'll be sure to watch.

This team meant so much to me, just like the 1986 Celtics did. I was 12 when this game was played and it was basically my whole life. Sports teams are so important to kids that age. The 2001 Pats will always be my favorite team of all time, but I can't say they meant as much to me as the 1985/1986/1987 Pats and Celts.

Here's a question about QBs:

You're in the Super Bowl, you have one QB to chose from between Elway, Manning and Marino, who do you take?

My answer: Marino--and it's an easy decision.

I don't think it's easy at all. But I'll play along.

As great as he is, Marino didn't win any so when comparing him to two guys who have won SBs, hes out.

So Elway or Manning. Real tough one. Both have won SBs and lost SBs. Elway has lost 3 times vs vastly superior teams- but also won twice with one coming in an upset and the other in a spectacular performance. Peyton played well vs a tough Bears team and choked vs the Saints.

Since Elway won his last two SBs and Peyton choking in his last, I'll go with the hot hand. :p

I don't think it's easy at all. But I'll play along.

As great as he is, Marino didn't win any so when comparing him to two guys who have won SBs, hes out.

So Elway or Manning. Real tough one. Both have won SBs and lost SBs. Elway has lost 3 times vs vastly superior teams- but also won twice with one coming in an upset and the other in a spectacular performance. Peyton played well vs a tough Bears team and choked vs the Saints.

Since Elway won his last two SBs and Peyton choking in his last, I'll go with the hot hand. :p

You played great in this game!

Oh the memories. That was a sweet run beating Jets, Raiders and then Fins. The first wildcard team to win three on the road. I was just a newly married kid and had a big Superbowl party in my new house. We were happy for about 5 minutes during the party. It was just the Pats luck to finally get to a SB only to face the most dominating D ever.

I do miss those old days of running the ball down teams throats. Back then, it seemed you'd never see a team pass on 3rd and 2.

I was at the game, and had an electronic megaphone. It was so loud, I couldn't hear my own words coming out of the megaphone. Loudest of any stadium at which I've ever been. The Dolphin fans were very gracious after the game.

You played great in this game!

Thanks...:D

As it turned out, Duper and Clayton found themselves overmatched against Clayborn.

“Clayborn was unbelievable that day,” Nelson said. “We left him in man coverage against whichever receiver they sent to his side and Raymond shut down everyone he was up against. I don’t think anybody caught a ball on that side of the field all day.”

Before Super Bowls, Pats’ AFC title win over Miami in ’85 was franchise’s crown jewel | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Love to see more games like that, but if Grogan does not get hurt against the jets that year, we would have have a bye and finish 13-3 that year.. Eason choked against Miami in the reg season..Grogan was not appricated enough in his years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST