8-year-old Jets fan assaulted at Browns Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC Eagle

Rookie
Reaction score
This is completely disgusting and uncalled for

Report: 8-year-old New York Jets fan tackled in Cleveland - ESPN New York

An 8-year-old New York Jets fan was tackled by an adult Browns fan after Sunday's game, according to a television station in Cleveland.

The boy went to the game at Cleveland Browns Stadium in a Jets jersey with his father, who was born in New York. Much to the chagrin of the local crowd, the Jets rallied for a 26-20 overtime victory. The boy's mother, identified only as Danielle by ABC affiliate WEWS because she didn't want to reveal her last name, said the fans in the stadium were great, but things got out of control after the game.

"Calling him a bad word, to my husband and to my son, throwing food at them," she said, according to WEWS.

When the family reached the parking lot, the situation got uglier.

"As [my husband] was walking, holding my son's hand, a guy from behind tackled him. A drunken Browns fan tackled him and pulled him out of his dad's hand. He was on the ground crying," Danielle said, according to the station.

The boy was left with a scraped and bruised ankle. The mother said her husband didn't call police, opting instead to quickly get in the car and leave. When reached by the television station, Browns vice president of media relations Neal Gulkis called the situation unfortunate and disappointing and said the team is looking into the matter.

Gulkis said the scoreboard displays a number fans can text message to alert security to disorderly fans. The city of Cleveland, which operates the parking lot where the alleged incident took place, previously had added extra security.

The boy's mother had been nervous about her son attending the game, but believed "kids are off limits. Clevelanders are such great people. I knew that they would never hurt an 8-year-old kid, never."

The boy might be seeing his next Jets game in New Jersey.

"My husband asked him, 'Did you have a good time?' He said, 'Yes.' He said, 'Would you want to go back sometime?' And he said, 'No, I don't like Browns Stadium.' Who could blame him?" the boy's mother said.

I hate the Jets, but this is asinine and unneccessary.

Since the piece of trash responsible wants to be a football player so bad, put him on the field without pads and let him get smashed into at full force.. Repeatedly.

Also, if I were the dad, there's no way in God's name that guy would have walked out of there in one piece. I'd have knocked the drunk piece of crap unconscious if he even TRIED to put his hand on my kids.

Re: This is completely disgusting and uncalled for

So much for the myth of the 'great Browns fans'.

As bad as what the one drunken Browns fan did, what may be even worse is (apparently) none of the other fans stopping him or doing anything to the idiot. Assuming that was the case, their decision to not respond was the equivalent of silently condoning what that idiot did.

Edit: I started to read through the comments and my suspicions about Browns fans seem to be true. So far most of what I see are them blaming the people for taking a kid to a game, accusing them of fabricating the story, 'no big deal, the kid probably deserved it', etc.

Last edited:

As bad as what the one drunken Browns fan did, what may be even worse is (apparently) none of the other fans stopping him or doing anything to the idiot. Assuming that was the case, their decision to not respond was the equivalent of silently condoning what that idiot did.

Indeed. If this had happened outside of Gillette, with a Pats fan tackling an eight year old Jets fan, I would have been throwing fists with the Pats fan that did it. Simply wrong to go after a kid. Though, I did get a chuckle out of the article title, for some reason.

To be fair to the dad in this situation, he somehow stayed clear headed enough to probably realize that if he gets in a scrap and more people jump in, he can no longer protect his kid which is why he got in the car and took off. I have no kids, so I can't say whether I would stay that clear headed or not in that situation, but I have to imagine it was a very difficult choice.
Kontra I'd be right with ya. An 8 year old doesn't know that the Jets suck, it's not his fault. You don't attack a kid. Hell, you don't attack a person just because they are a fan of another team, it's ******ed, but a child? That's above and beyond reprehensible. Definitely deserves a good curb stomping.

Agree completely.

Edit: I started to read through the comments and my suspicions about Browns fans seem to be true. So far most of what I see are them blaming the people for taking a kid to a game, accusing them of fabricating the story, 'no big deal, the kid probably deserved it', etc.

Yeah, it's "no big deal" that some drunk fool decided to be cute by attacking an innocent kid.

And what exactly did the kid do to "deserve it"? Wear an opposing team jersey? I hate the Jets as much as anyone, but to attack an opposing fan, let alone a kid, for wearing their jersey reeks of high degree stupidity.

Oh and yeah, it's a crime that the parents decided to get their kid in to football at an early age by taking him to a game.. Way to rationalize the idiotic behavior of a dumb fool Cleveland.. And you wonder why your city has such a crappy reputation?

What really bites is that unless someone snitches on him, the guy probably won't get caught. The victim's dad simply got him out of there rather than calling for police or security, and I can't say I blame him; but then obviously there's almost no way to ID the attacker anymore.

Having been to away Pats games at numerous stadiums, I'll admit you're asking for some grief - but nothing like this garbage. Any Browns fan who stands up for the guy who did this should get kicked square in the crotch.

wow, thats weird. All the games i've been to have been nothing but enjoyable. Good natured ribbing from the opposing fans. Kids are always treated in a nice manner, even by the drunks. Thats just too bad the kid had to see the worst kind of person up close.

A grown man tackling a kid for wearing an opposing team jersey..not much to say about that except WTF? A fan should be able to take their kids to see their team play, whoever the team is, without having to deal with crap like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back