PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7 vs. 10 Contract Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one hell of an escalator. I wouldn't mind taking a ride on that thing.

That's one hell of an escalator. I wouldn't mind taking a ride on that thing.

Every time Peterson rushes for at least 2,000 years he will add $1,000,000 to his 2011 salary. Every time he scores 20 TDs he will add $1,000,000 to his 2011 salary.

When they traded back, knowing the significant cost savings, I couldn't help but feel we grabbed the LB we wanted AND the ability to re-sign Wilfork.

IMO, the Pats always had/have/will have the ability to re-sign Wilfork.

Every time Peterson rushes for at least 2,000 years he will add $1,000,000 to his 2011 salary.

2,000 years? Even Tom isn't that slow! :D

IMO, the Pats always had/have/will have the ability to re-sign Wilfork.

Well, you can pretty much say that about any player - because you can always cut other players to make it happen or manage the cap in other ways...

But managing the salary cap can't just be done with creative accounting - and freeing up a few million here and a few million there on a contract like this does minimize the tough decisions that might otherwise have to be made.

Will they try to re-sign Wilfork now while he is still under contract like other teams often do? I mean, with all the departures of our former stars, it appears they could have been signed for much cheaper before they hit the open market and got competing offers. If I am not mistaken, the only two exceptions of note are Sey and Tommy.

Last edited:
Well, you can pretty much say that about any player - because you can always cut other players to make it happen or manage the cap in other ways...

Bingo. If Wilfork is willing to agree to sign a price that the Patriots find acceptable the deal will get done.

But managing the salary cap can't just be done with creative accounting -
Extending Wilfork will not need creative accounting unless you consider the NLTBE move to be creative accounting. I do not.

Current Cap Total 110,900,000
Net Effect of signing Draft Picks 1,600,000
Players 52 and 53 and Practice Squad 1,230,000
Cushion for Replacing Injured Players 1,250,000
Estimated Cap Cost 114,980,000
Patriots Adjusted Cap 121,100,000
Cap Overage 6,120,000

The Pats will either use that 6 million to extend some players or push that cap space into future years.

and freeing up a few million here and a few million there on a contract like this does minimize the tough decisions that might otherwise have to be made.

As the graphic shows, the difference in the cap numbers in the 2nd year of those contracts is less than $200,000. The difference in the cap numbers in the 2 years of the players chosen at 78 and 164 is about 140,000. So the Pats saved about $60,000 in 2009 cap space with this trade. IMO, with the 2009 cap projected to be $123,000,000 60,000 is immaterial and certainly not a few million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back