PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 out of the 6 losses

To your point, yea I'm right with you. It was funny to meme all over Buffalo, and dunk on them with "We passed 3 times and won LOOOLLL" jokes, but it could've easily backfired. And there were plenty (at least 5) good spots to try a play-action fake or even just a quick screen.
The weather played a huge factor to their favor. Buffalo moves the ball through the air and doesn't have a legit ground game. Pats are a ground first team. With that being said, only passing 3 times was risky and it came down to a final drive that I know Bill would’ve taken heat for had the D not held up. This is brought up because they didn’t have that luxury against Indy or Buffalo’s second meeting.

Nope; you can also become #1 by fattening your stats when you play the Little Sisters of the Poor…
They play pretty much the same schedule as everyone else.
But again, show me 3 defenses that have a done better.

This board would’ve erupted had they lost to the Bills in the 1st meeting as the Bills were driving in their territory for a most likely game winning TD.

I was worried the running all game strategy was going to backfire. I don’t think throwing a couple screens or quick passes here and there wouldn’t have hurt.

The 50mph winds was the real winner in that game.

But again, show me 3 defenses that have a done better.
This is an interesting question for the board because it’s seems defenses for some time are Jekyll and Hyde each week. I can’t name one defense that doesn’t have a glaring weakness. I can’t name one defense that’s the “best”.

This is an interesting question for the board because it’s seems defenses for some time are Jekyll and Hyde each week. I can’t name one defense that doesn’t have a glaring weakness. I can’t name one defense that’s the “best”.
Well there is always a best. The problem is people rooting for the defense that is playing the best expect it to be perfect and compare it to an unreasonable expectation.
“Eye tests”, supporting statistics and opinions about how good any players are, is bs when you have actual results to use to compare.
The 2 measures that are far and away the best measurement of defensive performance is how many points you allow and how many times you take the ball away. Everything else is just noise, overridden by those 2 measurements.
The Patriots have allowed the fewest points in the NFL. (Tied with Denver). No team other than Denver and Buffalo are less than 45 points behind. Patriots and Denver have allowed 260, Buffalo 264.
Patriots have 27 takeaways
Bills have 29 takeaways
Denver has 19 takeaways.

Seems pretty clear the performance of these defenses are
1) Buffalo
2) Patriots
3) Denver
and no one else is worthy of a top 3 ranking.

Almost every single .500ish NFL team every year is a few drives going differently away from having a much better record. This isn’t special. It also ignores the unforced mistakes that the Cowboys, Bucs, Bills made themselves that even kept the Pats in the game.

Pats are 9-6 and deserve to be.

Mostly agree with this, though I do think point differential is important to understanding the strength of a team. Their point differential indicates they’re a top 5 team. But QB play tends to screw up point differential expectations as well. You often see teams like the Packers and Chiefs winning more games than expected. The better QBs tend to have an advantage in closer games since they run the best two minute offense when passing becomes even more critical.

I believe he’s saying their ranking of #1 defense is overrated as those rankings tend to be.
Hmm? I think they are as good as any defense. Of course, they will look better against worse teams. For most of the year they have been great. Hopefully they will make a few more plays to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down in the next 6 games. ;)

Aren't you the one who called me all kinds of names for saying we shoulda passed more? Or was that someone else

I am not the name calling type and don't remember a conversation about passing more. Too bad for me. Sounds like I should get out more and have some fun.

The team built around the run game and defense loses when the defense can't do it's job. I don't see how this is newsworthy.

The team built around the run game and defense loses when the defense can't do it's job. I don't see how this is newsworthy.
Your comment got me thinking (not very deep, I admit) that it is all about perspective. Is our team doing bad or is the other team outplaying us? After the first Buffalo game there was an excuse making Bills fan on here saying that his team made too many mistakes and gave the game to NE and that if "everything' didn't go wrong they would have won. Very little credit, if any, was given to the NE defense. Actually, more credit was given to the wind than the NE defense. After the second game we blame the defense for choking and not stopping the Bills offense, which is true to a point, but I have to say, the Bills offense made multiple high-pressure plays and played a near flawless game. Granted the Pats defense could have tackled better and won more battles at the point of attack. But the bottom line is the Bills outplayed our boys this past Sunday and the Pats need to play these next 6 games like their life depends upon it, because it is not going to be easy to go on the road in the playoffs and get to the SB. The Bills played that way this past week and it showed up on the scoreboard. NE needs to play the game on their terms and not ****yfoot around waiting for someone to provide an opportunity for them, they need to make their own way. Hopefully the Jags at home will be a confidence builder and the Miami game will be the momentum builder we need going into the playoffs. Should be fun.

BINGO. Finally. Someone that's honest. Yes we were outplayed AND outcoached. That's why we lost.

Your comment got me thinking (not very deep, I admit) that it is all about perspective. Is our team doing bad or is the other team outplaying us? After the first Buffalo game there was an excuse making Bills fan on here saying that his team made too many mistakes and gave the game to NE and that if "everything' didn't go wrong they would have won. Very little credit, if any, was given to the NE defense. Actually, more credit was given to the wind than the NE defense. After the second game we blame the defense for choking and not stopping the Bills offense, which is true to a point, but I have to say, the Bills offense made multiple high-pressure plays and played a near flawless game. Granted the Pats defense could have tackled better and won more battles at the point of attack. But the bottom line is the Bills outplayed our boys this past Sunday and the Pats need to play these next 6 games like their life depends upon it, because it is not going to be easy to go on the road in the playoffs and get to the SB. The Bills played that way this past week and it showed up on the scoreboard. NE needs to play the game on their terms and not ****yfoot around waiting for someone to provide an opportunity for them, they need to make their own way. Hopefully the Jags at home will be a confidence builder and the Miami game will be the momentum builder we need going into the playoffs. Should be fun.
There's only 2 games left. That's all that's guaranteed.

BINGO. Finally. Someone that's honest. Yes we were outplayed AND outcoached. That's why we lost.
Are people actually arguing against that statement?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back