PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers already knocked out of the game against the Bills

What is the Jets cap situation? Isn't Rogers' salary still on the books? How can they afford to pay a serious QB while remaining under the cap.

What is the Jets cap situation? Isn't Rogers' salary still on the books? How can they afford to pay a serious QB while remaining under the cap.
It’s an absurdly backloaded contract with a cap hit just under $9M. The intention was for him to play two years at ~$9M and ~$17M cap hits and then figure out a way to deal with the $49M dead money after he’s gone. That dead money isn’t going away unless he passes on guaranteed money by retiring, but now they’re paying big on the 2025-2026 caps for an essentially lost season in 2023.

Why would Rodgers settle for less? His bonus is guaranteed. Am I missing something?

Yes it's guaranteed, but the team could look to recover money, if Rodgers just gave up.

I'm not even sure of how it works, and the Jets could let it pass, but Rodgers got guaranteed money based on expectations that could be argued were not fulfilled.

But I don't really know.

I don't need to, extending plays by ignoring your options kills time on the clock. One of the Patriots greatest talent was game time management. There is no accountable metric available that can account for time wasted by Fraudgers or saved by Brady, but if you're in a game during crunch time, more often than not Roger lost.

The biggest stats IMO are points per game and turnovers. These can vary over short term but less so long term. Supporting cast plays into it as well but again, over a long career, that often equalizes to a great extent.

Rodgers has a better passer rating than almost any QB all time and yet points per game and winning pct (even adjusted for defense) are not close to where they would be if they correlated with QB rating.

What’s the missing stuff?

1. Sacks/Rushes. Career high sack percentage (holding the ball) and when he scrambles that’s going to be over time much less efficient than passing. This isn’t unique to Rodgers (see: Wilson) but it’s why there’s such a split between traditional passer rating and more analytical stats.

2. Conservatism/Non Risk. This one is unique to Rodgers where he is an outlier in NFL history with an anemic amount of 4th Q comebacks when weighed against his losses and expected performance. It’s almost unfathomable that his comebacks/loss pct is so many levels below other elite QBs and actually lower than average QBs. No other QB is so paradoxical. It’s statistical evidence of the eye test that he truly, absolutely a front runner who pads his stats and won’t risk throwing an INT even if the situation requires it. When he’s beaten by a defense, he’s beaten. There’s no other tool, other scheme, etc. He’ll play conservatively to avoid a high volume of inefficient stats and then pad them when the game is out of reach and he gets a soft zone.

Yes it's guaranteed, but the team could look to recover money, if Rodgers just gave up.

I'm not even sure of how it works, and the Jets could let it pass, but Rodgers got guaranteed money based on expectations that could be argued were not fulfilled.

But I don't really know.
Yeah, there are all kinds of details we can't/don't know, but since injury is such a common and perhaps likely thing I would think that Rodgers is on very safe ground when it comes to collecting his guaranteed bonus in full. There is a few mil in guaranteed salary that may be more of a challenge IMO if doesn't appear to be trying to come back, but it's relatively minor compared to the bonus.

If I’m Rodgers, I tell the Jets to restructure me again to give me the majority of that $35M without needing to show up and let me retire and cease being a distraction. Otherwise I’ll show up to camp overweight and back up Zach Wilson for $35M and retire a year later.

i dumbass drafted him in fantasy
I did too, as my backup to Tua. I was the last guy to draft my starter. Also grabbed Mac with my final pick just for fun. Rest of my league said my QBs sucked.

After the weekend, I had the #1 and #2 QBs in the league in Tua and Mac. Works for me. Bye Rodgers.

For anyone thinking about Brady coming back to the Jets or anywhere else, did you see the retirement ceremony? He suddenly looks to me like an old man. Not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying.

Bills are toast. Their supporting cast is exactly the same, they rely on Diggs. Josh Allen runs around too much. Their D isn't very good specially Poyer and Hyde. They got roasted in the run game.
Were I a Bills fan, I'd shudder to think what the team would look like if Diggs were to want out. Even if Allen were to make it through the regular season intact, it really does feel like it's do or die for them this year.

For anyone thinking about Brady coming back to the Jets or anywhere else, did you see the retirement ceremony? He suddenly looks to me like an old man. Not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying.
Brady started looking old last year but can he still play? I think he declined some last year but still could have played at a higher level this year. Jets would welcome him in a heartbeat but he's done.

I don't trust these new types of accounts. Same with "JPA Football". It's a fan role playing as an NFL insider. He doesn't have any sources or news to break. Just rephrases and reposts others' breaking news, and mixes it up by tweeting fan speculation and/or plausible headlines like that one, because every now & then, 1 in 100 will hit.

Last edited:
I don't trust these new types of accounts. Same with "JPA Football". It's a fan role playing as an NFL insider. He doesn't have any sources or news to break. Just rephrases and reposts others' breaking news, and mixes it up by tweeting fan speculation and/or plausible headlines like that one, because every now & then, 1 in 100 will hit.
I think MLF has some sources but he does stir the pot just to get reactions.

I did too, as my backup to Tua. I was the last guy to draft my starter. Also grabbed Mac with my final pick just for fun. Rest of my league said my QBs sucked.

After the weekend, I had the #1 and #2 QBs in the league in Tua and Mac. Works for me. Bye Rodgers.
I have goff and Mac now
I thought goff would light the chiefs defense without jones up but it was meh

This guy called it before the game!!

uploads1694539636635-F51j1zHXYAAtTrB.jpg

I didn’t think he looked old at all. In fact, I thought he looked really good. What I did notice is that he has dropped weight. So he is definitely not in any type of football shape.

Can I just say, what a JETE way to not win their games against NE... AGAIN?

Is timing important? I thought they try to get pictures before the swelling gets real bad, at least i thought i read something about that

im certainly no doctor
When I saw a picture from the injury I was guessing left Achilles before they announced which leg it was.

You can see the calf balled up.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back