PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers release Jon Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Un/fortunately, he has to go through waivers.

I just don't see how he could provide any value. Can he return kicks?

If he had become available earlier in the off season, so he could have attended OTAs and had more time learning the system, then I would have been more on board with signing him. If he is brought in now then he is behind his competition, and unlike other bottom of the roster guys, he is not eligible for the practice squad.

Baldwin would be on his third team in four years, and despite his once being a first-round draft pick, the fact of the matter is that in that time he has averaged just 15 receptions for 202 yards. While he is 6'4" and had great combine numbers, as a pro he has done nothing due to a combination of drops, poor routes, and apparently having an inability to pick up the playbook or make a commitment to being a professional football player.

The weakness in those latter areas would seem to make him a poor fit on a team that relies so very much on precise timing and positive mental strength as opposed to physical attributes to making the passing game succeed.

I'm afraid you're right jmt. Too bad, because we need help - and lots of it - at the WR/TE positions.

Didn't Bill advise Dimitroff to draft
Baldwin late in the first instead
Of moving up to draft Julio Jones?

He did, and with a strong coach and organisation behind him (oh, and something resembling a Quarterback) he may have become one of the elite WR's in the game.

Instead he got the Chiefs and Todd Haley, coupled with Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko and Kyle Orton. I don't believe SF is much better either, to be honest. Harbaugh may act tough but he's a whiny *****, and there are many on that roster that seem to be allowed to act like whiny *****es.

I don't doubt that Baldwin has acted like a complete ****, but young men with ego's need a proper direction in life and strong leadership. Otherwise you see things like this happen.

It's a shame as I think he could have been all-world.

Belichick was high on Baldwin pre-draft in 2011.

Jon Baldwin Released by 49ers | Bleacher Report

He might be worth a look, especially if Dobson is heading to PUP. I would even consider trying him as a Move TE.

Can Dobson even be put on the PUP now? He's been "practicing" (running timed sprints), hasn't he? Once someone practices, they are ineligible for the PUP.

Baldwin could not make it with two teams...you think he would make it with the Patriots?

Can Dobson even be put on the PUP now? He's been "practicing" (running timed sprints), hasn't he? Once someone practices, they are ineligible for the PUP.
He has been rehabbing not practicing with the team.

Yeah, but I'm a firm believer that coaches and organizations play a huge role in the development of players, which BritPat already mentioned. Atlanta would have been a great place to learn under Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez and Matt Ryan rather than that dysfunctional mess in KC.

Also, this isn't just Jones vs. Baldwin either. It's unfortunate Cleveland blew the draft picks as Cleveland usually does. They did well by trading up to get Phil Taylor by trading that first 1st from Atlanta. But then they drafted a WR who can't catch, a fullback (in the 4th!), then wasted their next #1 in 2012 on the oldest player ever drafted, Brandon Weeden, then sent the 4th-rounder as part of a deal to move up 1 spot to draft Trent Richardson. Yuck.

Meanwhile, obviously Julio Jones has been a great player. But has he really helped improve the team significantly? Atlanta finished 5th (25.9 PPG) in offense the season before trading up for Jones, and 7th the next two seasons (25.1, 26.2). He improved a strength incrementally, but would more depth have prevented last season's fall-off-the-cliff 4-12 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes