Welcome to PatsFans.com

3 PS players make more than the minimum

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Miguel, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The minimum salary for a practice squad player is $88,400. Mike Richardson, Antwain Spann, and Titus Adams are all making $150,000.
  2. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Good incentive to keep them on our PS rather than go to someone else's. What is the minimum for a rookie on a roster? Is $150,000 more than that number? Could also be a way for making a move to the last spot on someone else's roster less appealing.
  3. Miguel

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The minimum for a rookie is $295,000.
  4. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Well, there goes that theory!
  5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    Nice gesture by the Pats management effectively nearly doubling the PS salary to $150K. Gotta admit that when you 'only' make $150K, doubling that salary to $295K is an understandable decision. Ununderstandable to me is leaving a good team for a measley couple hundred K or million $ when you already have made millions. The marginal utility of incremental money is far less; pride is the driving personal value.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  6. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Miguel...Is that unusual OR are there usually a few that are more than minimum?? Great info.
  7. Miguel

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The past couple of years there have been a couple of PS players on the Patriots that have made more than minimum. Other teams have done the same thing. I have asked around. It would be interesting to find out if 3 is above average.
  8. Funktopus

Funktopus Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Is there any way to see if there is a tendency to pay over the rookie minimum for cities with a higher cost of living?
  9. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Totally agree.

But $150k is not huge money for an athlete who is living in temporary accommodation in an expensive city -- and (even in practice) is risking severe injury every time he goes on the field.
  10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    Well said.
  11. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

This argues for paying all our Practice Squad players more. no, these three have been singled out, as we did in the past with Yates. Actually, I am surprised that Richardson isn't being paid $295K.

And, BTW, is the Providence area really such a high priced area? Looking at Boston is misleading. The stadium is far from Boston.

12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually they don't automatically get the $295K. If another team picks them up, they have to keep them on the roster for a minimum of 3 weeks IIRC. 3/17 of $295K is $52K. By paying them the $150 K ( (62K more than the minimum) there is no incentive for them to go to another club that may dump them after three weeks when they can stay here and earn more money.....
  13. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Our $150K is not guaranteed any more than the $259K from another time. The $259K per season is guaranteed for 3 weeks, ours not at all. Should a player really give up a chance to make a team's roster and potentially earn the first year of their pension and other player's rights? Is our team so great that it is better to be on our Practic Squad than on someone else's 53 man squad? Nonesense!

The bottom line is that it is better to be paid $150K/7 a game rather than $80K/7. It is also better to be paid $259K/7 and have a chance to be on a 53 man roster.

Let's put it another way. How many players do you think have refused other team's offeres to be on their 53 after being cut by the patriots because they would rather wait and be on our Practice Squad?

14. PatriotNMP43

PatriotNMP43 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Thanks for the good info, i believe the Patriots take the practice squad players very seriously, much more than most teams, i remember reading that the practice squad player of the week gets to wear the black jersey.
  15. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Good point. I'm sure these players have assurances and a feeling that the Patriots have plans for them. The extra money is more good faith and nice to spend, of course.

I'm sure most players realize a relationship gives them a better chance than roaming from camp to camp and don't want that "often cut" designation attached to them.
  16. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think cost of living is all relative. It would be nice if a Patriot/Raider/Dolphin/Jet practice squad player made for than a Green Bay, Buffalo, or Vikings counterpart. Regardless, 88K is more than the average price for most professions and while it is low for a professional athlete...it is what it is.
  17. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Oh great Miguel, now you have me kicking myself! I did some DVR housekeeping last night and deleted the preseason games because I couldn't remember if there was a reason I had held onto them - seeing Titus Adams name on your list reminds me I wanted to watch his later preseason play to see if he looked any better to me, compared to the Baltimore game. :enranged:
  18. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Cost of living is a small issue compared to state taxes. In Texas and Fla, these guys are paying nothing after fed. But here in San Francisco and California, we pay 9.3% over 43k and 10.3% over 1M (highest in the country). Now compare 10M Baron Davis makes versus 10M Dwayne Wade makes. When Arod left the Rangers for the Yankees, he lost mucho discretionary income. In the NBA, with Canadian teams, it is a huge point of contention and I am sure the union over there have accounted for those fees the Canucks charge for....

Plus cost of living accounts for housing and food and gas and other items like that. But a rolex in NYC cost the same as a rolex in Wisconsin and same with Escalades and first class plane tickets and other luxury items that guys spend millions on.

Since a lot of athletes choose their permanent home and it is commonly not where they play, they have the flexibility to live where they feel comfortable paying for.
  19. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I thought he looked pretty good in the preseason. Was in on lots of ST units, too.
  20. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Mmm... sounds about $150K too much for Richardson.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm going now.
  21. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Not to change the subject. I just checked out Miguels pages, something I try to do weekly, and noticed that we have very few must sign UDFA next year. We should be in good shape depending on our cap space.
  22. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Well, two of our three three safeties are free agents after this season. Also, it is the time when we will need to consider extending Light, Seymour, and Wilfork. All have contracts that end after the 2009 season.

23. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How many players have been signed off the Pats PS in recent years by other teams? I know it doesn't happen that often but I'm curious whether the Pats have had more or less relative to the rest of the league.
  24. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#18 Jersey
    Housing is expensive in Providence compared to much of the country, especially as you move away from the coasts. The PVD market pretty much follows BOS up and down, and many people now commute from PVD to BOS on the train.

Anyway, I think N. Attelboro and the suburbs around there house more Pats than Providence or Boston. Though I have no idea about the PS players.
  25. Miguel

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A fellow amateur capologist who goes by the moniker of Sam Lynch replied to my request for info about PS players' salaries:
    "I just spent time on the NFLPA website checking the salaries of each
    of the PS players in the league.

Assuming I didn't miss anyone inadvertently, these are the players
    being paid more than $88,400:

MIA: A. Armstrong, $200,000
    MIA: R. Ninkovich, $445,000 (seems like an error, but that's what it says)
    NEP: T. Adams, $150,000
    NEP: M. Richardson, $150,000
    NEP: A. Spann, $150,000
    TB: C. Smith, $102,000

So this year, three teams, six players total"

which means that the Pats have 50% of the PS players making more than the minimum
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  26. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Very interesting. Thanks Miguel!
  27. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Could it be possible that as part of the original contract they signed there was a clause that if they got cut and then signed to the practice squad they would make $150,000.
  28. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

29. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Right about now I wish I was 25 years younger with a 4.35 40 time.
  30. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Interesting, but if they were cut, the contract would no longer be valid, would it? I suppose there could be a special agreement (does the NFL frown on this or prohibit it?), but mostly, what is the driving force?

A player about to be cut has no leverage to make such a deal, and why would the Pats do it? What incentive does it supply?

If the player was claimed, he has no choice, and if offered a spot on another practicec squad, would he say, no thanks, I'm going to wait in case the Pats want me for double the money?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.