PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 PS players make more than the minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to change the subject. I just checked out Miguels pages, something I try to do weekly, and noticed that we have very few must sign UDFA next year. We should be in good shape depending on our cap space.

Well, two of our three three safeties are free agents after this season. Also, it is the time when we will need to consider extending Light, Seymour, and Wilfork. All have contracts that end after the 2009 season.

Not to change the subject. I just checked out Miguels pages, something I try to do weekly, and noticed that we have very few must sign UDFA next year. We should be in good shape depending on our cap space.

Let's put it another way. How many players do you think have refused other team's offeres to be on their 53 after being cut by the patriots because they would rather wait and be on our Practice Squad?

How many players have been signed off the Pats PS in recent years by other teams? I know it doesn't happen that often but I'm curious whether the Pats have had more or less relative to the rest of the league.

This argues for paying all our Practice Squad players more. no, these three have been singled out, as we did in the past with Yates. Actually, I am surprised that Richardson isn't being paid $295K.

And, BTW, is the Providence area really such a high priced area? Looking at Boston is misleading. The stadium is far from Boston.

Housing is expensive in Providence compared to much of the country, especially as you move away from the coasts. The PVD market pretty much follows BOS up and down, and many people now commute from PVD to BOS on the train.

Anyway, I think N. Attelboro and the suburbs around there house more Pats than Providence or Boston. Though I have no idea about the PS players.

A fellow amateur capologist who goes by the moniker of Sam Lynch replied to my request for info about PS players' salaries:
"I just spent time on the NFLPA website checking the salaries of each
of the PS players in the league.

Assuming I didn't miss anyone inadvertently, these are the players
being paid more than $88,400:

MIA: A. Armstrong, $200,000
MIA: R. Ninkovich, $445,000 (seems like an error, but that's what it says)
NEP: T. Adams, $150,000
NEP: M. Richardson, $150,000
NEP: A. Spann, $150,000
TB: C. Smith, $102,000

So this year, three teams, six players total"

which means that the Pats have 50% of the PS players making more than the minimum

Last edited:
A fellow amateur capologist who goes by the moniker of Sam Lynch replied to my request for info about PS players' salaries:

which means that the Pats have 50% of the PS players making more than the minimum
Very interesting. Thanks Miguel!

Could it be possible that as part of the original contract they signed there was a clause that if they got cut and then signed to the practice squad they would make $150,000.

Right about now I wish I was 25 years younger with a 4.35 40 time.

Could it be possible that as part of the original contract they signed there was a clause that if they got cut and then signed to the practice squad they would make $150,000.
Interesting, but if they were cut, the contract would no longer be valid, would it? I suppose there could be a special agreement (does the NFL frown on this or prohibit it?), but mostly, what is the driving force?

A player about to be cut has no leverage to make such a deal, and why would the Pats do it? What incentive does it supply?

If the player was claimed, he has no choice, and if offered a spot on another practicec squad, would he say, no thanks, I'm going to wait in case the Pats want me for double the money?

...and now it's 4 out of 7! I'm baffled why more teams don't do this as a below-cap way to strengthen depth (not to mention raise morale).

SamLynch just updated his research:
"I just went through the database again. While it is possible that
there have been raises given since the last time I checked, it seems
pervasive enough that I question the quality of the initial data,
especially on the Eagles and Saints.

In addition to the six players listed above, all of whom still have
the same salaries as shown previously, the following players make more
than the minimum:

CLE: P. Holland, $119,000
PHI: T. Williams, $176,800
PHI: J. Collins, $102,000
PHI: A. Studebaker, $102,000
CHI: Z. Bowman, $102,000
NOS: S. Green, $102,000
NOS: L. Hamilton, $102,000
NOS: D. Roach, $102,000
NOS: T. Duckworth, $102,000
NOS: R. Ayeodele, $102,000
SEA: J. Kent, $176,800

So the total is 8 teams, 17 players."

Erick Ainge of the Jets is a practice squad member,

Ainge is making 295K in salary this season and also received a signing bonus. I estimated it at 165K based on his slot in the draft, which would mean he'd make about 460K total this year.
So it does happen.

Erick Ainge of the Jets is a practice squad member,

Ainge is making 295K in salary this season and also received a signing bonus. I estimated it at 165K based on his slot in the draft, which would mean he'd make about 460K total this year.
So it does happen.

Erik Ainge is listed on the Jets website as being a member of the 53-man roster.

Official Team Roster : New York Jets

Erik Ainge is listed on the Jets website as being a member of the 53-man roster.

Official Team Roster : New York Jets
===============================================

Oh, My bad.

Lets see, Jets have Brett, Clemmens, Ratliff and Ainge on the active roster, I thought Ainge was PS.

Thanks for setting me straight Miquel.:)

How many players have been signed off the Pats PS in recent years by other teams? I know it doesn't happen that often but I'm curious whether the Pats have had more or less relative to the rest of the league.
Not sure league wise how often it happens ...for the Patriots in 05--RB Kory Chapman was claimed by Indy..In 04--S Russell Stuvaints was claimed by Pitts; a few weeks later S Curry Burns was claimed by NY Giants. Also, in 02 LB Brandon Moore was taken by the Niners...he got a big contract a few years after that, but was cut this year..picked up by Arizona.
Four players...not all that often. And I do not remember when the Pats have signed a player off another team's PSqd duting the season.

Not sure league wise how often it happens ...for the Patriots in 05--RB Kory Chapman was claimed by Indy..In 04--S Russell Stuvaints was claimed by Pitts; a few weeks later S Curry Burns was claimed by NY Giants. Also, in 02 LB Brandon Moore was taken by the Niners...he got a big contract a few years after that, but was cut this year..picked up by Arizona.
Four players...not all that often. And I do not remember when the Pats have signed a player off another team's PSqd duting the season.
Was Chapman signed off the squad or claimed off waivers? Seems like 2005 or so I recall a LB on the Denver PS turning down the Patriots to stay in Denver, must have been needing to be near his Mum.

Not sure league wise how often it happens ...for the Patriots in 05--RB Kory Chapman was claimed by Indy..In 04--S Russell Stuvaints was claimed by Pitts; a few weeks later S Curry Burns was claimed by NY Giants. Also, in 02 LB Brandon Moore was taken by the Niners...he got a big contract a few years after that

There it is people...THE reason that the Pats 21st Century Dynasty has been derailed...PS poaching of our young talent!

Was Chapman signed off the squad or claimed off waivers? Seems like 2005 or so I recall a LB on the Denver PS turning down the Patriots to stay in Denver, must have been needing to be near his Mum.
He was claimed off teh Practice Squad before the Pittsbutgh game (Game 3) in 05. He may have been waived after that and brought back..but he started on the PSqd in 05 and went to Indy from there. I also remember that that wasn't too good as the Pats were thin at running back. That was the year that Dillon was banged up, Kevin Faulk had a foot problem for a lot of the year, Pass was banged up. I think he may have gotten teh call up if he wasb't taken by Indy...the next week they brought in RB Zereoue. As far as a LB in Denver..staying, that is quite possible..although I don't remember the details. (And would have remembered...it's sometimes good to have old Excel sheets with info on the,...)

Seems like 2005 or so I recall a LB on the Denver PS turning down the Patriots to stay in Denver, must have been needing to be near his Mum.
3what about any of these Denver LBs...ring a bell??
05--Josh Bugl 04--Louis Green 06---Cameron Vaughn ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots