PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 Plays I Simply Cannot Understand- I need an Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he's not going to call out the refs in the media.

No he won't. He was asked repeatedly about how upset he was. He simply answered, "I asked for a timeout."

"But you seemed animated out there talking to the referees."

"I was calling a timeout."

Nothing. Not even a hint an issue with him! He ignored the implications that he had a problem with them. Probably saving it for the usual weekly communication with the league.

I'm pretty sure I saw him mouth "That *-ing guy" as he was talking to the sideline ref referring to the other ref.

At the end of the day the whole team needs to perform, we can blame the officials, Brady for the unlucky INT's, Ocho or even Belichick for the team today.

If all of these incidents were reversed we would be celebrating a win and praising Ocho for getting the touchdown. Let's just dust ourselves down and start again.

1. He did hit him in the face mask, when watching the replay the helmet jerks, you can tell there was a blow to the helmet. Replay was a poor angle of his right arm.

2. It was pass interference... he was not playing the ball, he was all over him, whether or not he knew it was underthrown, that was pass interference if I ever saw it.

3. We didn't lose the Timeout, we called it to stop the clock, else the clock would have started immediately.

1) He didn't hit him in the facemask. The head "jerks back" because of the hit across the shoulders. I DVRed it and looked at both angles shown..

2) Brown doesn't have to "play the ball". What you miss is that the offensive player is the one who initiates the contact. Not the defensive player. And that is OFFENSIVE pass interference. Plain and simple. The fact that it was under-thrown actually underscores that it was offensive pass interference.

3) The clock shouldn't have started immediately as the clock was not set to the correct time to begin with. It was never reset by the Ref the way it was supposed to have been.

When you're up 21 pts you should NEVER loose. Somebody's head should roll for this debacle.

When you're up 21 pts you should NEVER loose. Somebody's head should roll for this debacle.

Ocho's and defence........Brady was unlucky with the interceptions, he gave Ocho a touchdown on a silver plate but dropped it :eek:

Defence needs a whole re work with a good defence co ordinator!

Ocho's and defence........Brady was unlucky with the interceptions, he gave Ocho a touchdown on a silver plate but dropped it :eek:

Defence needs a whole re work with a good defence co ordinator!

The pass Brady threw to Gronk at the goalline was not an unlucky INT, he forced it into double coverage which had Gronk perfectly bracketed over the top and underneath.

Three plays I simply cannot understand.

1. Ridley rushes for 8 and then 4 yards but then the Pats go empty backfield and Brady throws a pick. I don't mind that they passed but isn't this the perfect place for play action? I bet the coverage isn't as deep and he has an easy throw.

2. Both runs by Julian Edelman. I'm assuming this won't be repeated.

3. Ridley rushes for 3, 5, 8, 4, 16, 6 and 2 and yet BJGE was given the ball again. Why not ride the hot hand?

The stars were aligned against the Pats. The refs were bad, Brady was bad, we had a lot of injuries, and the Bills got lucky on some of the calls. The good news is we did not lose because we were the worse team, and the other goods news is that the Phins lost and the Jets are losing by two TDs with 8 min to go in the fourth. I think the gameplan was good, and if we got even one or two breaks, we would have won, but all the breaks went to the Bills especially in the second half.

Last edited:
1. Ridley rushes for 8 and then 4 yards but then the Pats go empty backfield and Brady throws a pick. I don't mind that they passed but isn't this the perfect place for play action? I bet the coverage isn't as deep and he has an easy throw.

I contend that this sequence was the catalyst for the loss. Ridley's 1st down put them in the red zone if I'm not mistaken. It's early-mid 3rd quarter. The run is working, the clock is ticking, you're up 11. Who knows maybe they fumble next play but that INT was killer.

I have no idea what angle you guys were watching on TV, but that #2 play in the end zone was right in front of me, and it was about as clean a pass interference as I can imagine. Brown was not looking at the ball at all, and when the receiver stopped to move back toward the ball, Brown just stopped him. It was a horrible play by Brown especially because Fitzpatrick threw up a duck that was ripe for intercepting. You gotta turn your head around there.

The roughing the passer call was BS...never know when they'll call that. But how about that personal foul call against the Bills on that hit on Welker? That was equally bad of a call, so those two calls offset each other, really. The pass interference call on Brown in the endzone was legit; it was also incredibly untimely. The refs will call that every single time.

I have no idea what angle you guys were watching on TV, but that #2 play in the end zone was right in front of me, and it was about as clean a pass interference as I can imagine. Brown was not looking at the ball at all, and when the receiver stopped to move back toward the ball, Brown just stopped him. It was a horrible play by Brown especially because Fitzpatrick threw up a duck that was ripe for intercepting. You gotta turn your head around there.

Brown on TV looked to be a rebounder in basketball boxing out. He had his back to the receiver with his arms spread out so he couldn't run around him. IMO the defender had position and didn't need to move.

The roughing the passer call was BS...never know when they'll call that. But how about that personal foul call against the Bills on that hit on Welker? That was equally bad of a call, so those two calls offset each other, really. The pass interference call on Brown in the endzone was legit; it was also incredibly untimely. The refs will call that every single time.

How the hell do you figure the helmet to helmet hit by Byrd on Welker was a bad call? Byrd lowered his helmet and hit Welker with the Crown of his helmet against Welkers. That is, by definition, Helmet to helmet..

Brown on TV looked to be a rebounder in basketball boxing out. He had his back to the receiver with his arms spread out so he couldn't run around him. IMO the defender had position and didn't need to move.

He initiated contact. His arms were forward.

He initiated contact. His arms were forward.

the replay showed that the Offensive player actually initiated the contact and actually wrapped his arms around Brown..

the replay showed that the Offensive player actually initiated the contact and actually wrapped his arms around Brown..

Brown was awful at notre dame .Another great pickup

That might have worked had the vector of Brown's momentum not still been going out of the EZ. As it is as excerable as it is, that's the same way the refs have been interpreting the flawed PI rules for years. We weren't singled out here.

Brown is not playing well.

Last edited:

You're exactly right....Brown never turned towards the ball.....he had no idea it was even thrown.You can't grab a guy attempting to come back on an underthrow.....very poor and crucial mistake by Brown:bricks:

The stars were aligned against the Pats. The refs were bad, Brady was bad, we had a lot of injuries, and the Bills got lucky on some of the calls. The good news is we did not lose because we were the worse team, and the other goods news is that the Phins lost and the Jets are losing by two TDs with 8 min to go in the fourth. I think the gameplan was good, and if we got even one or two breaks, we would have won, but all the breaks went to the Bills especially in the second half.

Brady wasn't bad...he was snakebit. Wish we had the time back between the wasted TD throw to Ocho and the eventual TD to a focused WR... or McCourty had situational awareness down the stretch...

Have to agree with you. The offensive player can't run through a defender back turned or not. The receiver initiated the contact. Then it did not matter which way Brown was facing.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference