PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 Plays I Simply Cannot Understand- I need an Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
the replay showed that the Offensive player actually initiated the contact and actually wrapped his arms around Brown..

The player was trying to come back toward the ball, and Brown ran right into him. That's a flag.

Let me explain, refs calls are part of the game and shouldn't matter if you are clearly the better team on the field. What needs explaining is, blowing a 21 point lead against a cut and dried, plain as day less talented team.

I totally agree with you, but this was the worst officiated game I've ever seen since 2007. Even the announcers were clueless on what AND WHO the call was for. It's was blatant mistakes which should have no place at this level in football (but it does for presumptuous reasons).

3) I really don't understand why every one has such trouble with this play. I guess it's because the announcers were confused. Announcers don't understand clock management and clock rules. Ignore them.

Once the TD was called back, Belichick called the time out. He did so because if he had not, the clock would have started to run as soon as the umpire placed the ball on the field for ready to play.

Once the TD was called back, they treat it like a completed catch. Since it was in bounds, the clock would begin once the reply overrule happens.

Belichick called the time out to keep the clock from starting. He was hoping that the Bills would be stupid and try to score on the next play, preserving 1:40 for the Patriots. If he hadn't called time out, the refs would have placed the ball, winded the clock, and it would have ticked down to 1:10 or so.

The reason Belichick was going crazy was that the clock operator had run off a lot of time after the TD call, which was true but ultimately irrelevant.
This is a 100% spot on analysis of exactly what happened. I was screaming at the TV over how much of a moron Rich Gannon was for totally not understanding the situation and being critical of Belichick for calling the timeout. (On a side note to Gannon: It's been 10 years. It was the right call. Get over it.)

The only thing I can add is to mention to one of the other posters that a coach can call a timeout in conversation with a ref. He doesn't have to physically signal a "T" with his hands.

Last edited:
2) After a review, teams are supposed to be given a chance to get players on the field without the clock starting, but with the :40 second clock starting. Especially when the clock is supposed to have been reset.

I believe in the case of a wrongfully stopped clock (that is a clock that is stopped because the call on the field is one that stops the clock when it should not have) the refs wait until the teams are lined back up and then wind the clock at the umpire's ready to play, with the play clock where it was when the umpire was buzzed or :25, whichever is longer.

If it's impossible to recreate the time on the play clock, they will put :25 on it and wind it at the ready to play. Either way, they give the teams time to get back on the field.

Last edited:
I have no idea what angle you guys were watching on TV, but that #2 play in the end zone was right in front of me, and it was about as clean a pass interference as I can imagine. Brown was not looking at the ball at all, and when the receiver stopped to move back toward the ball, Brown just stopped him. It was a horrible play by Brown especially because Fitzpatrick threw up a duck that was ripe for intercepting. You gotta turn your head around there.

I disagree. The reason Brown didn't know the receiver stopped and started to come back is because he WAS looking back for the ball. No he did know where it was, but his head did turn and look back.

Not that it matters, that play is called defensive pass interference 95% of the time, whether is was defensive or offensive.

Last edited:
I understand that the NFL wants to protect the QB's but this is getting on the verge of ridiculous. I have no doubt that this crew will be getting a bad review but that does nothing to take away those bad calls.

1) He didn't hit him in the facemask. The head "jerks back" because of the hit across the shoulders. I DVRed it and looked at both angles shown..

2) Brown doesn't have to "play the ball". What you miss is that the offensive player is the one who initiates the contact. Not the defensive player. And that is OFFENSIVE pass interference. Plain and simple. The fact that it was under-thrown actually underscores that it was offensive pass interference.

3) The clock shouldn't have started immediately as the clock was not set to the correct time to begin with. It was never reset by the Ref the way it was supposed to have been.

1) The helmet shifts on the head insinuation a hit to the helmet of some sort, the entire head didn't move, the helmet shimmies on the head.

2) Unless the rules have changed, when a ball is under thrown and the DB isn't playing the ball and the WR tries to slow down to get the ball and the DB just bodies him up and prevents that... It's Pass Interference.

Did anyone see the PI call on the Bills final drive, where it looked like the defense stopped them for a 3 and out? I never got to see a replay of it, anyone have any video?

Oh I thought the three were you were talking about were:

drafting a Vereen

drafting ridley

drafting mallet

everyone knows brady, hoyer, law firm, woodhead and faulk (before he got hurt) did so horribly last year.

Aren't you all just so cute and clever? If you can't provide an explanation, then save your sparkling repartee for another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back