PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

24 hours later

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First of all, glad to see the site is accessible again.

Without drinking the kool-aid or p1$$ing in the punch bowl...

1) Brady is having a good season, and the numbers and wins should bear that out in the end. The inability of the O-coordinator to adjust during the game has made him look bad at times. BB may consider moving McDaniels upstairs where he can call the plays from the booth, to get a calmer, more circumspect look at the action. That may allow him to think more clearly and adjust without the poor sight angles and hectic nature of the sidelines to distract him. Many O-coordinators prefer the calm of the booth. There are great advantages to being on the sidelines as a coordinator, in the trenches, in the heat of the action... but not everyone has the stomach for it like Charlie did. Both Weis and Sean Payton were relieved of play-calling duties while O-coordinators, and it eventually helped their development. That is a last resort option if the "booth plan" fails.

2) Ty Warren, playing the strong side as DE, is more important to this team, right now, than Richard Seymour. I did not say "Warren is a better player"; but most teams run to the strong side 2/3 of the time or thereabouts. Against the Jets, Ty's absence cost the Pats dearly, more than Seymour's would have, because J. Green can play so effectively on the weak side in Seymour's absence. If Warren is out for an extended period the pressure on Brady and McDaniels could become intolerable, as the D could begin to implode a bit. IMO Warren's extended absence could lead to the worst case scenario, the 10-6, 9-7 season doom-and-gloomers are already trembling about.

3) Looking at the offense... How many players on the O actually played on the SB teams? 1) Brady 2) Light 3) Koppen 4) Neal 5) Dillon 6) Graham. But Neal is injured; Graham is ALWAYS injured; Dillon is at the end. That means only Brady, Light, Koppen and Dillon are past champions making an impact on this O. Everyone else is young, developing, a cast-off from another system. After this year, it is likely that only Brady and the O-line trio will be holdovers from the SB teams. I liken this team right now to the '85-87 49ers. The first 49er dynasty, the Dwight Clark dynasty, ended; It took 3 years for the Jerry Rice dynasty to learn how to win, and win big games, again. Reloading a dynasty is not as easy as building the first one... ask Pittsburgh how hard it is.

4) Patriots fans are spoiled, sore losers. The Jets showed great heart and guts out there with an average roster. They played a smart and gritty game. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to an opponent for admirable play. I was impressed by how much that victory meant to their players. They were jumping around like little kids at the end. Many of them had NEVER beaten the Patriots in their whole career.

5) The season is barely half-over, and the Patriots won't be the only playoff-caliber team to hit a rough spot. Injuries will mount on other contenders; pretenders will collapse; older teams will falter; younger teams will hit a wall or surge. The Patriots could still go 13-3, if the team shows more heart, faith, courage and determination than this fickle, sometimes embarrassing fan-base. It's a well known proverb of war, that when two armies face each other in battle, at some point both generals will believe that all is lost; the leader whose will is broken at that moment brings disaster on his men; the leader who holds firm in the face of failure often wins in the end. The Pats are at that point now. Here is where the leadership of Brady, Seymour, Bruschi, BB and MCDANIELS needs to prove its mettle. If they rise to the occasion, I have every confidence the team will soar into the playoffs. If they listen to the naysayers in the press, the nattering nabobs of negativity, and the whispers of doubt in their own hearts, hello 9-7. The outcome will be determined not by elaborate schemes but by will, toughness and grit.

Last edited:
Well said,Pony E,lets see how the rest of the season plays out,the potential is there to have a 13-3,12-4 season and finish strong going into the playoffs.Thats what counts,if that happens,all this will be quickly forgotten.

I'll agree with the limited experience of the offense right now. I firmly believe that is where the majority of the issues reside. The offense is committing too many turnovers, has caused the defense to be on the field too much. There isn't much contuinity on the offense lately.

The offense goes through periods where everything is clicking and then they hit speed bumps and kill the continuity.

I think they want to be a pwer team but totally commit to being a power team. Why run Maroney on the inside so much as opposed to ustilizing his speed on the outside? Where have the simple screens gone? At least send the receivers deep to pull the safeties deep and open up the udnerneath.

As for Warren I totally agree. The one thing that completely baffled me was the frist game against the jets they played a 4-3, the second game was exclusively 3-4, especially on the goal line. Wilfork must have been worn out.

I'll agree with the 49er comparison. The team is definitely morphing and losing a bit of the magic. The one thing you have to wonder is McDaniel the answer at calling plays with his limited experience?

When are they going to give Andrews a shot at punt return and pull out all the guns? They seem to play conservative at the wrong times and when they go big they do it at wrong times causing int's. The play calling does not appear to keep a defense off base.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
4) Patriots fans are spoiled, sore losers. The Jets showed great heart and guts out there with an average roster. They played a smart and gritty game. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to an opponent for admirable play. I was impressed by how much that victory meant to their players. They were jumping around like little kids at the end. Many of them had NEVER beaten the Patriots in their whole career.

I wouldn't classify myself as 'sore' but I believe all Pats fans are spoiled by no fault of their own. We went 4 years without losing to the Jets or losing 2 in a row. We've developed really high expectations for this team and it does make victories less 'exciting'.

You're right, I can't remember the last time we were THAT excited to win. Many players have commented on going out there every week and "expecting to win". Kinda hard to exceed expectations with that attitude.

My analysis of the offensive inconsistency:
1) McDaniels is a sharp tactician. Otherwise he would never have caught BB's eye (not to mention Saban's eye at MSU). As evidence we have the Minnesota game. However, McDaniels is experiencing the classic trials and tribulations of inexperience. When his brilliant game plans are not executed well, he lacks a nuts and bolts, blood and guts feel for the game. Some plays seem to be run by rote, according to a preconceived plan not dictated by on-field conditions. The Red Zone possessions over the last two weeks are examples of that tendency. He reminds me of a sharp young infantry LT who still needs to mature. Scharnechia, the salty Staff Sgt, is trying to "edumecate" him under fire... but maybe McDaniels should be upstairs in the booth for the time being, to gain a different perspective.

2) There is no "go-to", pro-bowl caliber offensive outlet for Brady under duress. This accounts for failures in two minute situations and 3rd down situations. Caldwell is becoming a solid #2 option; Watson is on pace to finish 2nd among all NFL TEs in yardage receiving, behind Winslow, but won't be a consistent clutch option, if ever, till next season IMO. There is no solution to this problem this season, and even next season may be up in the air, depending on the progress of Jackson and Watson. Here is where Branch is missed. Without such an option for any QB, in this era of parity and close games, a SB championship is far-fetched, but not impossible.

3) The home-field turf hurts Maroney's game, stripping him of his best qualities, quickness and slashing cut-backs. So be it... he will have to adjust, and he is trying to do just that, like the team player he is. I am very pleased with his progress, and most importantly, the fact he HASN'T FUMBLED ONCE! That is worth several TDs IMO.

4) There are almost too many pieces on this offense. The swing passes that go to Faulk IMO should go to Maroney. The passes to Graham should go to Watson. The passes to Gaffney et. al. should go to Jackson. Many of these issues will be eliminated come next season, when Maroney, Watson and Jackson are more established. Until then I suppose we have to endure this confusing mish-mash, this lack of identity and personality, which breeds inconsistency.

Last edited:
My reason for offensive inconsistency:

FIELD POSITION

We have had some good games where we gain tons of yards and still dont score. The offense has turned it over to give the other team good field position and most importantly the special teams units have given the opposing team great field position the last few weeks. Its much easier to be consistent when you have good field position. Win the field position game and the turnover battle and the game is much easier.

PonyExpress said:
First of all, glad to see the site is accessible again.

Without drinking the kool-aid or p1$$ing in the punch bowl...

1) Brady is having a good season, and the numbers and wins should bear that out in the end. The inability of the O-coordinator to adjust during the game has made him look bad at times. BB may consider moving McDaniels upstairs where he can call the plays from the booth, to get a calmer, more circumspect look at the action. That may allow him to think more clearly and adjust without the poor sight angles and hectic nature of the sidelines to distract him. Many O-coordinators prefer the calm of the booth. There are great advantages to being on the sidelines as a coordinator, in the trenches, in the heat of the action... but not everyone has the stomach for it like Charlie did. Both Weis and Sean Payton were relieved of play-calling duties while O-coordinators, and it eventually helped their development. That is a last resort option if the "booth plan" fails.

1) I'm the most die hard Brady defender on this site, and even I don't think he's having a good season. Difference is I think there are several reasons that have more to do with personnel than personal. Josh has never struck me as flustered, and I doubt Charlie was - not sure about Payton. I think all to often when a coordinator loses his play calling duties under a HC who designed the basic parameters of his offense it's because his players aren't executing but can't be as easily replaced. Brady and McDaniels are being asked to run a mature championship offense with a high percentage of affordable albeit immature or aging or cast off personnel. One of whom got benched last night while another went MIA yet again for endless stretches. Brady said it wouldn't be easy, but no one listened. I think BB though he was being melodramatic, otherwise he would have dumbed it down as much as he'd hate to because that would be a tacit admission that his value chart might be a hair off. Although if the story the Branch camp told was true, and he asked TB to deliver an 11th hour message to Branch, he's acknowledged as much privately.

2) Ty Warren, playing the strong side as DE, is more important to this team, right now, than Richard Seymour. I did not say "Warren is a better player"; but most teams run to the strong side 2/3 of the time or thereabouts. Against the Jets, Ty's absence cost the Pats dearly, more than Seymour's would have, because J. Green can play so effectively on the weak side in Seymour's absence. If Warren is out for an extended period the pressure on Brady and McDaniels could become intolerable, as the D could begin to implode a bit. IMO Warren's extended absence could lead to the worst case scenario, the 10-6, 9-7 season doom-and-gloomers are already trembling about.

For $10M a year I think BB expected Seymour to handle the RDE position. Instead he got cuffed around and they took his lunch money. And his NT seemed to struggle as well, Of course after 93 got benched BB found out the six figure backup DE couldn't do any better. And now Big Sey's feelings are hurt worse than his elbow. Hope he channels that anger towards GB and da Bears and not BB. And now that he's locked in for 3 more seasons at $30M hope he doesn't internalize it either. He does have a memory like an elephant for insults real or perceived according to some pundits.

3) Looking at the offense... How many players on the O actually played on the SB teams? 1) Brady 2) Light 3) Koppen 4) Neal 5) Dillon 6) Graham. But Neal is injured; Graham is ALWAYS injured; Dillon is at the end. That means only Brady, Light, Koppen and Dillon are past champions making an impact on this O. Everyone else is young, developing, a cast-off from another system. After this year, it is likely that only Brady and the O-line trio will be holdovers from the SB teams. I liken this team right now to the '85-87 49ers. The first 49er dynasty, the Dwight Clark dynasty, ended; It took 3 years for the Jerry Rice dynasty to learn how to win, and win big games, again. Reloading a dynasty is not as easy as building the first one... ask Pittsburgh how hard it is.

I fear you may be right. I had hoped we could do a rolling transition reloading the secondary and LB positions while the offense held the fort - now I hope Brady is still upright in 2008. Retaining Branch (or signing Mason in 2005) might have eased that transition, ditto retaining AV or resigning Ty Law. But they didn't want to remain here on BB's terms. And it is the his way or the highway system. And I think more players than fans realize resent the system tag that comes with succeeding here.

:agree:

5) The season is barely half-over, and the Patriots won't be the only playoff-caliber team to hit a rough spot. Injuries will mount on other contenders; pretenders will collapse; older teams will falter; younger teams will hit a wall or surge. The Patriots could still go 13-3, if the team shows more heart, faith, courage and determination than this fickle, sometimes embarrassing fan-base. It's a well known proverb of war, that when two armies face each other in battle, at some point both generals will believe that all is lost; the leader whose will is broken at that moment brings disaster on his men; the leader who holds firm in the face of failure often wins in the end. The Pats are at that point now. Here is where the leadership of Brady, Seymour, Bruschi, BB and MCDANIELS needs to prove its mettle. If they rise to the occasion, I have every confidence the team will soar into the playoffs. If they listen to the naysayers in the press, the nattering nabobs of negativity, and the whispers of doubt in their own hearts, hello 9-7. The outcome will be determined not by elaborate schemes but by will, toughness and grit.

That pretty much sums it up. Reality is some of those players are questioning the system today, and it's creator is questioning some of those players. I have no doubt BB will hold firm - he is what he is. Not so sure there are enough players willing to or capable of playing balls to the wall football when they have festering doubts. And then there are all those new players who don't know WTH is happening and don't have personal experience and or stored memory to fall back on.

I am in awe of your profound wisdom, NEM. I am amazed by your insight, impressed with your prolific volume of posts, look forward to every new and original thought you share with the posting public. Any comments you make I ponder, and often find my own opinions have been altered due to the subtle impact your words. You are indeed the King of this board, and your wit is almost as impressive as your encyclopedic knowledge. Still, your comments about McDaniels surprise me, I am grateful to see a "new" NEM emerging. I am excited, anticipating more original and candid ideas from the fountain of your brilliance. All that being said, I am adding you to my "ignore" list.

NEM said:
Please do, because people like you who are afraid to read the truth never have the ability to learn. So, keep yur mind closed to what is factual and you can continue to be the , usual, football dunce.

But, of course, you wont see this post because you now have found the "ignore" button.

Pity, because you had so much to learn.
Gotcha! Just kidding. :D I'm still learning, you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News