#23, #34, #47, #58

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
That's a nifty basket of day-1 picks, especially this year. Off the top of my head, I'd be mighty happy if they could end up with at least 3 players from this list of a dozen:

CB Alphonso Smith
CB Darius Butler
CB/S Sean Smith
DE Tyson Jackson
DE Jarron Gilbert
LB Connor Barwin
LB Clint Sintim
OT William Beatty
OG/C Max Unger
OG Eric Wood
S Louis Delmas
WR Brian Robiskie

Anybody else care to offer a dozen?

That's a nifty basket of day-1 picks, especially this year. Off the top of my head, I'd be mighty happy if they could end up with at least 3 players from this list of a dozen:

CB Alphonso Smith
CB Darius Butler
CB/S Sean Smith
DE Tyson Jackson
DE Jarron Gilbert
LB Connor Barwin
LB Clint Sintim
OT William Beatty
OG/C Max Unger
OG Eric Wood
S Louis Delmas
WR Brian Robiskie

Anybody else care to offer a dozen?
Before I pitch in with a dozen, it occurs to me that Mike Wright has not been signed or even mentioned so far in Free Agency. If this influx of new cap room was used to bring him back, along with James & Lewis Sanders (and maybe extend Woods), the draft dynamics would shift greatly. I would then be looking for "special" talents with those four picks.

CB Alphonso Smith
CB Darius Butler
DE Jarron Gilbert
LB Connor Barwin
LB Clint Sintim
OT William Beatty
OG/C Max Unger
OG Eric Wood
S Louis Delmas

In addition to those you mentioned:
WR Hakeem Nicks
S Patrick Chung
OT Jamon Meredith

Aaron Curry, Jason Smith, BJ Raji, Eugene Monroe, ... :D

OK, seriously. Add Alex Mack and Eben Britton to your list, and possibly DJ Moore, William Moore, Clay Matthews and Aaron Maybin (though I'd have to see more from them). Ochmed would add Max Unger, though I think he plays soft and don't want him.

Before I pitch in with a dozen, it occurs to me that Mike Wright has not been signed or even mentioned so far in Free Agency. If this influx of new cap room was used to bring him back, along with James & Lewis Sanders (and maybe extend Woods), the draft dynamics would shift greatly.

Yep, I happily look forward to scuttling my draft board after the Pats make some fabulous FA moves. :)

Many of the names you & Mayo suggest were tough cuts from my initial 12. All in all, it leaves me feeling very good about the prospects for a big haul of quality players.

Before I pitch in with a dozen, it occurs to me that Mike Wright has not been signed or even mentioned so far in Free Agency. If this influx of new cap room was used to bring him back, along with James & Lewis Sanders (and maybe extend Woods), the draft dynamics would shift greatly. I would then be looking for "special" talents with those four picks.

CB Alphonso Smith
CB Darius Butler
DE Jarron Gilbert
LB Connor Barwin
LB Clint Sintim
OT William Beatty
OG/C Max Unger
OG Eric Wood
S Louis Delmas

In addition to those you mentioned:
WR Hakeem Nicks
S Patrick Chung
OT Jamon Meredith

I wondered the same thing about the three players you mentioned above.

Hopefully, with the Cassel situation being resolved so quickly, the above

players can be retained. Paxton and Gaffney just received super offers.

Pats could easily pick

23 24 and 34 if they wanted to package 47 and 58

I don't see them picking 4 players

3 virtual 1st rounders would be pretty nice.

They could leap frog 34 into the first round by just throwing in a 3rd as well.

Expect some wheeling and dealing.

I doubt they go that route but a lot is possible.

Even though a low 1st or second is basically the same player, as fans we would be going crazy with the thought of having 3 third round picks.

23: Barwin/Matthews
34: Sean Smith
47: Max Unger
58: Patrick Chung

I would be pretty happy with this draft :D

23: Barwin/Matthews
34: Sean Smith
47: Max Unger
58: Patrick Chung

I would be pretty happy with this draft :D

How about:

23: Barwin
34: Sean Smith / Alphonso Smith
47: Louis Delmas
58: Eric Woods / Jarron Gilbert

Patchick, here's your requested dozen, and the first 4 picks to save you time. :rofl:
CB Alphonso Smith
CB Darius Butler
DE Jarron Gilbert
LB Connor Barwin
LB Clint Sintim
S Patrick Chung
S Louis Delmas
OT William Beatty
OT Jamon Meredith
C/OG Eric Wood
C/OG Jonathan Luigs
WR Brian Robiskie

But seriously, I'm fairly confident you'll get 3 players from your list. :)

Laurenitis was a very productive college player. He looked like a beast vs. Texas.

Throw out the 40 time. He is a stud. He could add 15 pounds and be our other middle LB no problem.

How about this for a move.

Sign Gabe Watson NT and offer to switch first round picks with AZ vs giving them a second.

We could also throw in a 3rd. (I don't know if its Allowed)

Then you have pick 31 and are hoping for pick 32 next year. Just sign Peppers and be done with it. Let them have those 2 1st.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, with 23 + 34 we could trade up to around #9 or 10 according to the trade value charts. Not that I think it would happen, but if we found a Mayo-like value in the 1st its something to consider. We would still have #47, 58, 89 and probably 97 in that scenario. Not bad.

Those picks will wind up being 3 this year and a high 2 or late 1 next year. I don't mind this trade. We just gave up a former 3rd Rder in '97 (91st) and a former 7th Rder in '05 (230) for #34 in '09.

I don't know about you but I think that's progress. The only thing is, I beg you BB, don't draft a WR or TE.

I am thinking Asante was a 4th rounder, and this year we end up with a 3rd for compensation for our loss,

It's like we never used that draft pick, it's even better than ever using that draft pick

Way to play the system,,,,

Those picks will wind up being 3 this year and a high 2 or late 1 next year. I don't mind this trade. We just gave up a former 3rd Rder in '97 (91st) and a former 7th Rder in '05 (230) for #34 in '09.

I don't know about you but I think that's progress. The only thing is, I beg you BB, don't draft a WR or TE.

Laurenitis was a very productive college player. He looked like a beast vs. Texas.

Throw out the 40 time. He is a stud. He could add 15 pounds and be our other middle LB no problem.

Throw out the 40 time? He ran a 4.8 40 at 240 lbs. How will he run with an extra 15 lbs? 4.95? I'm wary of Laurinitis. I don't like to drop players too far on athleticism alone but I think he's down to a 2nd round pick on my board and strictly as an ILB. I'm not sure that ILB is big enough of a need to spend a 2nd rounder on.

how do you guys feel about laurenaitis?

Dude should of came out last year. He was a top 15 pick for sure. Without Gholston on that front line this year wrecking havoc he became just a good college player. He could become a real good pro but for now his intangibles and workouts just don't stick out like a 1st rounder should. Bad Advice from his agent. He'll be lucky to be drafted 32.

Patchick, here's your requested dozen, and the first 4 picks to save you time. :rofl:
CB Alphonso Smith
LB Connor Barwin
S Patrick Chung
C/OG Eric Wood

So kind of you! :) Yeah, I'll take that. I'll round out your draft with Juaquin Iglesias, Jasper Brinkley, Lydon Murtha, Sammie Lee Hill and Tom Morestead, then we can call it a weekend.

Everett Brown
Cushing or Matthews
Patrick Chung
wm Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back