PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

Regarding Wynn, I think the issue was not moving him to RT, but picking up his option previously. His performance the few times he felt like it in prior seasons was average to good, never great, and his overall record of availability was lousy. What I saw from him was, in my (very uninformed) opinion a guy that didn’t love playing football. Moving him this season, for whatever reason, was never going to work because he lacked both the talent and attitude to make it work. Maybe if they hadn’t fallen love with Strange’s potential and moved Wynn to LG (and drafted a young OT early) it would have gone slightly better; I have no reason to think so other than seeing the crapfest he put out there the few games he did actually play this season. My prediction: Wynn signs with a team in the Southeast, gets a signing bonus, shows up, gets injured in preseason, and retires.

I put the blame for the OL situation on Belichick, McDaniels, Patricia, and the group of OL coaches for not recognizing the reality at OT for the past 4 years, wasting money, time, and roster space on Wynn, Cajuste, Herron, Eluemunor, Cunnningham, and all of the other JAGs they brought in. They need to move on from the philosophy they had where Scarnecchia could make chicken salad out of chicken poop, and bring in people that were not with them and thus were not caught up in that philosophy and have demonstrated the ability at the NFL level to mold raw talent into dependably good performance, and then draft and sign younger FAs who the new OC and OL coach believe in.

In my own management career I have seen this scenario a few times, you have someone great filling a crucial role, you trust and rely on them and over time focus more on other elements of your responsibilities. One day they leave and even when you think you had a succession plan, you don’t want to change and so you fill the role with the best match you can find. It doesn’t usually work unless you yourself as the leader change your expectations and your pattern of responding. That’s how I see things with BB, McD, and MP relative to the OL coaching. They got lucky in some respects when Scar unretired, it got them another championship, but ultimately put off the inevitable.

I‘m a BB fan but like many of us here I am approaching this offseason and next season with the feeling that he will be greatly challenged to get this right. If he doesn’t than I’m not falling into the pattern of disregarding all that he did here for almost 23 years (the “he’s a 0.500 coach without Brady” point of view), I will admire him and greatly appreciate his accomplishments but will be in the “time for a new direction“ camp. I suspect Robert Kraft is also not thrilled with the prospect of moving on but I hope he and his sons are doing some serious and quiet due diligence to be prepared for what is also inevitable for the franchise.

The decision to move Trent Brown over to LT and move Wynn to RT was a strange move. Why was it done?

The answer probably has to do with protecting Strange, who needs to bulk up. Wynn is unprecedentedly small in size.

My guess is they didn’t like the two of them side by side.

But clearly the experiment backfired when Wynn started not caring as a disgruntled RT. And Brown’s LT days are over.

That’s when the line became so bad—the play of the tackles.

Throw in Thanksdad at center for an injured Andrews and the expected growing pains of Strange, and it was an unacceptable 2022 from the offensive line.

The poor play of that line contributed in the Patriots being last in red zone efficiency.

Solutions:
Make a priority of drafting a quality LT like Maryland’s Jaelyn Duncan.

In a mid round draft a RT.

Time to do a Wohlabaugh. The center position is in need of an adequate backup and future starter. Gotta draft a guy like Parcells did back then.

And a dedicated pair of coaches to the unit is necessary. Probably Yates and Patricia.
So, the solution is to draft 3 OL's who can start this year or next?

Sure, pass on free agency and count on three starters from the Draft, always a reliable way to find 3 starters. ???

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back