PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

Conor McDermott is actually proving to be a competent, serviceable RT. Which is a breath of fresh air after what we’ve seen at the position this year.

Yeah, Wynn, talking about you.

I thought the same , he does seem to be putting some decent performances together. Could be at least a depth player.

Should we bring in Trai Turner next year as someone to compete at guard with Cole Skinny Jeans Strange? We should have brought him in this year. But Washington won. I don’t think we even tried.

He was drafted just before we picked in 2014 by the Panthers. I always thought we were going to draft him. That was the plan back then.

We traded our pick #93 to Jacksonville in response to his selection by the Panthers at 92.

I say bring him in next season.

Chasen Hines backs up Onwenu.

Last edited:
Give Patricia and Yates credit. This offensive line is no longer offensive. They have stabilized the situation. And the line is playing better. Especially the tackles. The trend is in the right direction.

Trent Brown, personally, has most penalties this year...

Conor McDermott is actually proving to be a competent, serviceable RT. Which is a breath of fresh air after what we’ve seen at the position this year.

Yeah, Wynn, talking about you.

I wouldn’t object to signing McDermott to a one-year deal at small money and have him compete for one of the backup Tackle spots.

Still need to do better than him as a starter, however.

Yep, with another one on Sunday…

His days as a Left Tackle, after Sunday in Barfalo, are Over.
He is nearly moving early several times. I thought he was going to be penalized more often than he was. Is he timing Mac's snap call somehow?

What is this Popovich stuff? Seriously. When he was here, our line was not very good at all. It was pretty bad.

And then he was fired and he was so well regarded that he ended up at.... Troy St? I mean, that's pretty low by NCAA standards. If this guy was a hot commodity, you'd figure he'd end up in a better place.
The Pats O-line was NOT "pretty bad" when Popovich was here. Popovich was an Asst. to Scarnecchia in 17&18. In 2019, BB put him as the Asst. RB coach. Moved him to Co- O-line coach in 2020. The 2020 O-line was in the top 10 in the league.

Troy is a D1 School. We're not talking about D3 here.
Troy finished 12-2, wining the Sun Belt Conference and their Bowl Game against UTSA.

Not sure why you have sand in your undies over Popovich, but you're stance is flawed on him.
Fun Fact: Popovich was a 4 year starter at OG for Fresno State from 2004-2007. Logan Mankins was his teammate in 2004.

going into next year, i say we need 2 OTs and a C either in the draft, FA, or a combo of both.

I think Kody Russey' is listed as a centre / guard but he has not really had much of a chance to impress...maybe next year.

I think Kody Russey' is listed as a centre / guard but he has not really had much of a chance to impress...maybe next year.
Who knows if Russey, Hines, Steuber, Cajuste or McDermott will contribute next year.

The Pats O-line was NOT "pretty bad" when Popovich was here. Popovich was an Asst. to Scarnecchia in 17&18. In 2019, BB put him as the Asst. RB coach. Moved him to Co- O-line coach in 2020. The 2020 O-line was in the top 10 in the league.

Troy is a D1 School. We're not talking about D3 here.
Troy finished 12-2, wining the Sun Belt Conference and their Bowl Game against UTSA.

Not sure why you have sand in your undies over Popovich, but you're stance is flawed on him.
Fun Fact: Popovich was a 4 year starter at OG for Fresno State from 2004-2007. Logan Mankins was his teammate in 2004.
Can't believe you're serious. Please, please, please don't prop up Troy as any kind of good football school. That's just crazy.

He gets no credit for being an assistant to Scarnecchia since Scarnecchia was a force unto himself.

Who knows if Russey, Hines, Steuber, Cajuste or McDermott will contribute next year.

Yep… Stubby NEVER should’ve been drafted, and Cachoo’s had his chances and blew all of them.

Last edited:
The decision to move Trent Brown over to LT and move Wynn to RT was a strange move. Why was it done?

The answer probably has to do with protecting Strange, who needs to bulk up. Wynn is unprecedentedly small in size.

My guess is they didn’t like the two of them side by side.

But clearly the experiment backfired when Wynn started not caring as a disgruntled RT. And Brown’s LT days are over.

That’s when the line became so bad—the play of the tackles.

Throw in Thanksdad at center for an injured Andrews and the expected growing pains of Strange, and it was an unacceptable 2022 from the offensive line.

The poor play of that line contributed in the Patriots being last in red zone efficiency.

Solutions:
Make a priority of drafting a quality LT like Maryland’s Jaelyn Duncan.

In a mid round draft a RT.

Time to do a Wohlabaugh. The center position is in need of an adequate backup and future starter. Gotta draft a guy like Parcells did back then.

And a dedicated pair of coaches to the unit is necessary. Probably Yates and Patricia.

The decision to move Trent Brown over to LT and move Wynn to RT was a strange move. Why was it done?

The answer probably has to do with protecting Strange, who needs to bulk up. Wynn is unprecedentedly small in size.

My guess is they didn’t like the two of them side by side.

But clearly the experiment backfired when Wynn started not caring as a disgruntled RT. And Brown’s LT days are over.

That’s when the line became so bad—the play of the tackles.

Throw in Thanksdad at center for an injured Andrews and the expected growing pains of Strange, and it was an unacceptable 2022 from the offensive line.

The poor play of that line contributed in the Patriots being last in red zone efficiency.

Solutions:
Make a priority of drafting a quality LT like Maryland’s Jaelyn Duncan.

In a mid round draft a RT.

Time to do a Wohlabaugh. The center position is in need of an adequate backup and future starter. Gotta draft a guy like Parcells did back then.

And a dedicated pair of coaches to the unit is necessary. Probably Yates and Patricia.
My thinking was that part of why Wynn and Brown swapped sides this season compared to the one before was contractual.

Brown is signed through next season, so moving him to left tackle provided a starter at an extremely expensive position for a cheap price. Moving Wynn to right lowers his potential salary because right tackles make more than left ones. If it had worked then they probably could have had one of the best bargains in terms of hit against the cap in the league at o line.

Problem was Brown is too slow for left tackle, and Wynn is just trash. I lost so much respect for Wynn when he came into camp looking uninterested. Sure he could have been upset about switching sides and that lead to a decrease in effort, but to me that shows he’s mentally weak. Even if you he was annoyed by the switch his next contract was on the line and he still acted like he didn’t care. Even if they switched him back to left tackle he wasn’t going to perform their either with that lack of pride/determination.

I’m hopeful that Strange bulks up, Brown plays better at right tackle and the team adds a new left tackle in free agency. I also think Andrew’s slipped a little this season so getting his long term replacement solidified this offseason is huge.

I don’t think we can underestimate the factor of poor play design in the line looking bad this year. If you run all verticals against the blitz with no hot routes available there is no way the line will hold up. The Pats need to get back to complimentary football, where the play calling helps the line, the qb helps the line by getting the ball out quick and the guards help the tackles when teams run stunts. Even though the tackles were bad this year there are so many improvements they could make to help the line in addition to just getting new tackles.

don’t think we can underestimate the factor of poor play design in the line looking bad this year.
Yep. Forgot to mention the disaster of trying to become an outside zone running scheme during training camp, which typically features lighter, more athletic players.

Not Brown and Onwenu, that’s for sure.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back