PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

Maybe having Patricia handle offensive coordinator and offensive line has something to do with it...

I mean if he's doing both how much time can he really devote to the offensive line, fundamentals etc.

Bill really screwed up this coaching staff. Having the smallest coaching staff in the NFL, putting Patricia and Judge into roles they aren't good at and never done before. Either its pure arrogance or extremely negligent. But both are not good.

All for what, to save a few bucks on salary because these guys are being paid by the teams that fired them?

They stunk up the joint on Christmas Eve trying to open up running lanes. You can tell by the extreme up and down play of Strange69 that the coaching by Patricia and Yates is nothing special.

Strange is more and more proving to have been a first round reach. I know his RAS is exceptional but he played against inferior competition. At best after three seasons he’ll be on Thuney’s level, a player in hindsight we should have resigned, come hell or high water.

And the criminal ineptitude by Belichick not bringing in a veteran to give competition to the greenhorn is something Kraft should remember for the end-of-the-year performance review.

Maybe having Patricia handle offensive coordinator and offensive line has something to do with it...

I mean if he's doing both how much time can he really devote to the offensive line, fundamentals etc.

Bill really screwed up this coaching staff. Having the smallest coaching staff in the NFL, putting Patricia and Judge into roles they aren't good at and never done before. Either its pure arrogance or extremely negligent. But both are not good.

All for what, to save a few bucks on salary because these guys are being paid by the teams that fired them
BB outsmarted himself by putting too many square pegs in round holes. I think he might be better off by: getting rid off Achord and move Judd to special teams; bring back Cole Popovich to coach Oline; move Patricia to Ernie Adam’s position (hidden away somewhere); getting new OC and QB.

bring back Cole Popovich
He is a legit coach for the big boys up front. Troy had a great season. The offensive line play was advanced.

Popovich was the smarter of the two when he and Carmen Bricillo took over for Dante. That was my understanding.

The snake McDaniels pilfered Bricillo from us. We desperately need to upgrade the coaching for this unit.

Popovich=the anointed one.

Patricia and Yates ain’t coming close to cutting it. Especially when these boneheads implemented the outside zone scheme in training camp. Didn’t they even look who they had? Onwenu and Trent Brown? Square peg into a circle much?

He is a legit coach for the big boys up front. Troy had a great season. The offensive line play was advanced.

Popovich was the smarter of the two when he and Carmen Bricillo took over for Dante. That was my understanding.

The snake McDaniels pilfered Bricillo from us. We desperately need to upgrade the coaching for this unit.

Popovich=the anointed one.
If McD gets fired we should instant bring popovicj back
Patricia and Yates ain’t coming close to cutting it. Especially when these boneheads implemented the outside zone scheme in training camp. Didn’t they even look who they had? Onwenu and Trent Brown? Square peg into a circle much?
Exactly on point
Onwenu and brown are gap/power scheme linemen
Strange And Andrews fit together in Zone schemes but the line in general does not look like the players are all suited for the same blocking schemes to their strength

Haven’t posted on this thread in a while. Love the OL discussion from posters who seems to know what they are talking about (I would guess there are a number of fellow high school OL posting on here)

Loved the point about Mac’s deep drops. Seemed like there was a bunch of times Mac got sacked because the ends ran wide around our tackles and probably would have run by Mac if he wasn’t so deep. For the record I blame Patricia for that. The length of the drop is determined by the play design, so either the play was designed poorly or Mac was incorrectly instructed on how to run the play. I also blame Patricia for all the times that our tackles have tried to cut block and whiffed. Why you would ask a tackle as big as Brown to cut is beyond me.

If teams are going to rush wide and mac drops so deep that he’s beyond the pocket there isn’t much the tackles can do.

I do blame Mac for the sacks that have resulted due to unblocked rushers. It seems like he has completely forgot how to find his hot receiver. Identifying the blitz pre snap is something the coaches should drill into a QB but in the end it’s on the qb to do.

Earlier in the year I thought the team needed two new starting tackles but I’ve come around on Brown being a solid right tackle. They just need to find the next left tackle in the draft (I hope they invest multiple picks to find that guy).

I feel good about Onwenu and I think Strange will be a player if he can bulk up in the offseason (even if his play has been uneven this year).

Since I feel good about our guards other than tackle the biggest need long term is a center replacement for Andrews (I don’t think his body will last much longer in the NFL).

McDermott has been a turnstile. 10x worse than Cajuste and Wynn. If he takes on of the spaces next year, it's a waste
Bringing a player to camp doesn't really use up a space on the roster.

With some actual coaching, he might be fine on the Practice Squad, or even competing for the 4th OT roster spot.
===========
As far as 2022 performance, McDermott came here with little preparation by coaches to replace players who couldn't get on the field.

They stunk up the joint on Christmas Eve trying to open up running lanes. You can tell by the extreme up and down play of Strange69 that the coaching by Patricia and Yates is nothing special.

Strange is more and more proving to have been a first round reach. I know his RAS is exceptional but he played against inferior competition. At best after three seasons he’ll be on Thuney’s level, a player in hindsight we should have resigned, come hell or high water.

And the criminal ineptitude by Belichick not bringing in a veteran to give competition to the greenhorn is something Kraft should remember for the end-of-the-year performance review.

Just read that Thuney made the AFC pro bowl squad - again - as top backup to starters Joel Bitonio (who should've been drafted here) & Quentin Nelson...

BB outsmarted himself by putting too many square pegs in round holes. I think he might be better off by: getting rid off Achord and move Judd to special teams; bring back Cole Popovich to coach Oline; move Patricia to Ernie Adam’s position (hidden away somewhere); getting new OC and QB.
What is this Popovich stuff? Seriously. When he was here, our line was not very good at all. It was pretty bad.

And then he was fired and he was so well regarded that he ended up at.... Troy St? I mean, that's pretty low by NCAA standards. If this guy was a hot commodity, you'd figure he'd end up in a better place.

Haven’t posted on this thread in a while. Love the OL discussion from posters who seems to know what they are talking about (I would guess there are a number of fellow high school OL posting on here)

Loved the point about Mac’s deep drops. Seemed like there was a bunch of times Mac got sacked because the ends ran wide around our tackles and probably would have run by Mac if he wasn’t so deep. For the record I blame Patricia for that. The length of the drop is determined by the play design, so either the play was designed poorly or Mac was incorrectly instructed on how to run the play. I also blame Patricia for all the times that our tackles have tried to cut block and whiffed. Why you would ask a tackle as big as Brown to cut is beyond me.

If teams are going to rush wide and mac drops so deep that he’s beyond the pocket there isn’t much the tackles can do.

I do blame Mac for the sacks that have resulted due to unblocked rushers. It seems like he has completely forgot how to find his hot receiver. Identifying the blitz pre snap is something the coaches should drill into a QB but in the end it’s on the qb to do.

Earlier in the year I thought the team needed two new starting tackles but I’ve come around on Brown being a solid right tackle. They just need to find the next left tackle in the draft (I hope they invest multiple picks to find that guy).

I feel good about Onwenu and I think Strange will be a player if he can bulk up in the offseason (even if his play has been uneven this year).

Since I feel good about our guards other than tackle the biggest need long term is a center replacement for Andrews (I don’t think his body will last much longer in the NFL).
I agree with you in the sense something is really wrong.

We seem very disjointed when it comes to picking up edge rushers. Too often the tackles are doubling guys engaged with the guards and leaving edge rushers free.

But we've also seen players not know the plays multiple times (Kevin Harris comes to mind). Mac does himself no favors as he is very poor when it comes to ball fakes. The defense is almost never fooled by any of this.

We need players to carry out the subtle details with more energy, with more dynamic urgency. We need them to know the play. Be unified.

I feel confident that Patricia can get the job done as an OL coach. But it’s been filled with growing pains. Like watching Cole Strange. But he can’t do both that and be OC.

That is insane on its face.

Well said. I may be biased. Because I agree with every word, except I had higher hopes for Trent Brown. He is now firmly a RT. Even if Dante were here.

I heard someone say in the media that the Patriots didn’t want to leave Wynn next to Strange since they’re both undersized.

Strange is susceptible to the bulk rush by a powerful dude. He needs to add bulk.

I like my O linemen to have big butts. Onwenu is marvelous in that regard. Sand in the pants, man!

Mac was sacked once against Arizona... once. And it was on an all out blitz by the defense.

Almost the entire first half the offense went four wide with little TE blocking help, if there was a TE in there he was usually running a route. Go watch the highlights again.

On Mac's interception he held the ball 5 seconds before it was tipped as he threw. It was a five man blitz with Buddha Baker blitzing on the outside, but it was picked up pretty well. Mac had Thornton wide open running up the seam on the right side at the 3 second mark, he had Marcus Jones running a crossing route all alone just inside the sticks immediately after that... Mac was locked in on Bourne or Agholor (his outside WR) and never looked off him. That tipped interception was on Mac, he was a statue with multiple guys wide open.

The offensive line is the whipping boy for Mac's poor play and gets absolutely none of the leeway for "bad coaching," like the rest of the offense does. A large percentage of sacks Mac has taken this season have been the result of holding on too long and taking the sack rather than throwing an errant ball for a pick... something I'm sure his coaches drilled into his head after he returned from injury and after seeing Zappe play near flawlessly as a starter.

They started this season throwing the ball downfield... Mac led the entire NFL in interceptions... so they stopped.

He averaged over 8 yards per attempt in those first three games, since he returned from injury he's averaged 6.9 yards per attempt and only turned it over once before last week's game. Zappe averaged 9 yards per attempt in two starts and was sacked once per game.

Since Mac's return they've been trying to get him to play more like Zappe. Mac's playing better now, it's still not great. The defense really helped him out last week.

Another thing on that play I noticed while watching the video, look at how he doesn't even try to sell the PA. He heads back and almost immediately begins to turn around before even reaching the RB. The LBs watch him and don't bite. i don't think Mac is comfortable with the UC PA that everyone is blaming Patricia for not calling more.

I guess I should've said 2.83 since 3.28 didn't work.

What is this Popovich stuff? Seriously. When he was here, our line was not very good at all. It was pretty bad. Troy St? I mean, that's pretty low by NCAA standards. If this guy was a hot commodity, you'd figure he'd end up in a better place.
First assertion is false. Second is also false. Troy not State at the end, even if it’s a beautiful word. They will finish in the top 25 having beaten a top 25 team in a bowl, UTSA. Not a slouch program.

Popovich is a talent as an OL coach. It’s so even if you don’t see it.

If it weren’t for the Chinese virus and the ensuing panic, he’d still be here. Assuming the snake McDaniels didn’t poach him like his side kick. And better at his job than Patricia was this season.

First assertion is false. Second is also false. Troy not State at the end, even if it’s a beautiful word. They will finish in the top 25 having beaten a top 25 team in a bowl, UTSA. Not a slouch program.

Popovich is a talent as an OL coach. It’s so even if you don’t see it.

If it weren’t for the Chinese virus and the ensuing panic, he’d still be here. Assuming the snake McDaniels didn’t poach him like his side kick. And better at his job than Patricia was this season.
You're whole entire schtick is false and pathetic

happy New Year

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back