PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

I could be wrong, but didnt Von Miller come into the NFL at 230lbs?

I swear Denver used him on 1st and 2nd downs as a 4-3 SOLB than on passing downs had him rush the QB.

Could/would BB and Patricia do that with Floyd? Id love to see it!

Just checked. 246lbs I'm afraid. But Von Miller was someone I thought of when watching Floyd. Trouble is, Dion Jordan is another I've thought. He was also in the 240s but was a couple of inches taller. Cameron Wake was 236 (now 270), but of course he wasn't drafted. Chris Clemons was 230ish at the draft (264 now) but he too went Undrafted.

History isn't good for Floyd as a pass rusher. For now I think he'd have to be an off the line linebacker who blitzes, much as we use Collins and Hightower. At least until he adds 15lbs or so.

Just checked. 246lbs I'm afraid. But Von Miller was someone I thought of when watching Floyd. Trouble is, Dion Jordan is another I've thought. He was also in the 240s but was a couple of inches taller. Cameron Wake was 236 (now 270), but of course he wasn't drafted. Chris Clemons was 230ish at the draft (264 now) but he too went Undrafted.

History isn't good for Floyd as a pass rusher. For now I think he'd have to be an off the line linebacker who blitzes, much as we use Collins and Hightower. At least until he adds 15lbs or so.

Watching Floyd reminded me of Collins back at Southern Miss. Long, Athletic guy.

Watching Floyd reminded me of Collins back at Southern Miss. Long, Athletic guy.

Hopefully confusion about what he is causes him to drop. Of course he could run a 4.5 forty an a 6.7 3-cone and shoot up the board.

So this conversation about Floyd got me thinking about something I heard on the radio yesterday...

It was Adam Jones, Bert Breer, and Hardy from the zolak and Bertrand show. They were talking about out of the big 3 D players ( Collins, Hightower, Jones) if you can only keep 2 out of the 3 which is it?

Surprisingly Breer and Hardy agreed you sign up long term Hightower and Jones ( completely disagree) and let Collins walk. Reasoning being Hightower can play whatever defense the Pats want to play and not miss a beat, and Jones because pass rushers are hard to come by, and every team is looking for one either in the 1st rd or ready to pay big money the rare time a premium pass rusher hits the FA market.

Breer theory is also elite edge rushers really only gpo in the first...

I can't possibly see BB signing up Jones, who's a good but inconsistent player to a big money deal. So I'm gonna base this as us retaining Collins and Hightower..but it got me thinking Breer right, big time pass rushers do go early. So if we let Jones walk, we need to get creative and take a chance on a guy.. Floyd because of his size, might be that guy. We can all agree if Floyd was 20lbs heavier with his tape and athleticism he'd be an early pick correct? Aren't we in a position where we can take a chance on a guy like him?

Ive felt BB gambled on Gronk, Collins, and Easley in the past. Injury concerns is what made Gronk and Easley fall, and with Collins was more a question mark of what position can he play in the NFL. But all things considered either they're tape, or combine !measurable we can all agree, if all 3 guys didn't have question marks, wouldn't they be top 10-15 picks?

This is just something that's crossed my mind...

So this conversation about Floyd got me thinking about something I heard on the radio yesterday...

It was Adam Jones, Bert Breer, and Hardy from the zolak and Bertrand show. They were talking about out of the big 3 D players ( Collins, Hightower, Jones) if you can only keep 2 out of the 3 which is it?

Surprisingly Breer and Hardy agreed you sign up long term Hightower and Jones ( completely disagree) and let Collins walk. Reasoning being Hightower can play whatever defense the Pats want to play and not miss a beat, and Jones because pass rushers are hard to come by, and every team is looking for one either in the 1st rd or ready to pay big money the rare time a premium pass rusher hits the FA market.

Breer theory is also elite edge rushers really only gpo in the first...

I can't possibly see BB signing up Jones, who's a good but inconsistent player to a big money deal. So I'm gonna base this as us retaining Collins and Hightower..but it got me thinking Breer right, big time pass rushers do go early. So if we let Jones walk, we need to get creative and take a chance on a guy.. Floyd because of his size, might be that guy. We can all agree if Floyd was 20lbs heavier with his tape and athleticism he'd be an early pick correct? Aren't we in a position where we can take a chance on a guy like him?

Ive felt BB gambled on Gronk, Collins, and Easley in the past. Injury concerns is what made Gronk and Easley fall, and with Collins was more a question mark of what position can he play in the NFL. But all things considered either they're tape, or combine !measurable we can all agree, if all 3 guys didn't have question marks, wouldn't they be top 10-15 picks?

This is just something that's crossed my mind...

I just dont see it. I might be wrong and we might let Collins move on but I am sure it wont be because of the reasons that they stated.

Chandler Jones might look on paper like an elite pass rusher but he has never shown any consistency throughout a season. I cant call someone elite if he has no consistency.

Honestly the only way we'd have enough draft capital to get Floyd and the much needed OT is with via a trade. Even getting just either one of those two is already pretty difficult.

Gotta wait for FA to make better guesses I think.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me, and better at analyzing the intricacies of the position, give an opinion on Nick Vannet, TE? He looks a really good blocker, and a good receiver, but there's not much tape on him as a receiver. Wasn't used much as a target.

Going through more Oline tape today. Have watched Jerald Hawkins, German Ifedi, and Parker Ehringer.
Might do a full report on Hawkins, but here are some thoughts.
Ehringer: solid player but limited athletically. Will struggle with speed. Has experience at both G and T. Probably guard in the NFL

Ifedi: Really quick at the snap, almost looks like he false starts. Wide base and long arms. Thick trunk to anchor and enough athleticism to get to the 2nd level. Upper Body is a mess. Lunges, leans, doesn't extend arms. Plays upright, exposing chest. Loads of potential. Boom or Bust

Hawkins: good feet and athleticism. Left Tackle measurables. Mirrors well and can get out to the 2nd level as well. Struggles with power. Can get pushed around. Not overly aggressive in run blocking. Struggles to move people, even smaller opponents. Not really the aggressor.

I like Hawkins the best. He plays with good technique, he just needs some time in an NFL strength program. Plays very similar to the Tackles the Patriots have now.

Ifedi: Really quick at the snap, almost looks like he false starts. Wide base and long arms. Thick trunk to anchor and enough athleticism to get to the 2nd level. Upper Body is a mess. Lunges, leans, doesn't extend arms. Plays upright, exposing chest. Loads of potential. Boom or Bust

The quick start + long arms really sound interesting in the late stages of the draft. Give him a full redshirt season under Scar and maybe he can catch up a little and be ready for TC 2017.

The quick start + long arms really sound interesting in the late stages of the draft. Give him a full redshirt season under Scar and maybe he can catch up a little and be ready for TC 2017.
I think the problem is Ifedi will go much higher than I would spend a pick on him. He falls into the same category as Le'Raven Clark for me, but I have seen his name linked to the 2nd round and that is way to rich for me.

I watched OT Tyler Johnston yesterday as well. Medical will be huge (tore same ACL 2 years in a row) If his medicals come back he could be a steal. He has the size and movement skills, he plays a little hunched over, which I don't like, but that could be bad habits from returning from injury. Needs to add strength, but could be a steal later in the draft.

I think the problem is Ifedi will go much higher than I would spend a pick on him. He falls into the same category as Le'Raven Clark for me, but I have seen his name linked to the 2nd round and that is way to rich for me.

Yowza.. that is definitely too expensive.. Based on your description I was thinking about late round 4, early round 5.. but anything day 2 might be too much of a gamble..

How about Leonard Floyd teammate at Georgia OLB/DE Jordan Jenkins?

Isn't as Athletic or explosive as Floyd, but is better at setting the edge and very productive.

Georgia has had some studs go on day 2 of the draft recently ( Justin Houston, Geno Atkins) Maybe Jenkins can be the next in line?

How about Leonard Floyd teammate at Georgia OLB/DE Jordan Jenkins?

Isn't as Athletic or explosive as Floyd, but is better at setting the edge and very productive.

Georgia has had some studs go on day 2 of the draft recently ( Justin Houston, Geno Atkins) Maybe Jenkins can be the next in line?

I like him, but see him as a Joker OLB in a 3-4 defense and as such I don't think BB will be interested.

I've found my draft Binky and a replacement for Mayo. He is right now supposed to go in the 6th round.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me, and better at analyzing the intricacies of the position, give an opinion on Nick Vannet, TE? He looks a really good blocker, and a good receiver, but there's not much tape on him as a receiver. Wasn't used much as a target.

I'm certainly not more knowledgeable than you are, but I am an avid Bucks fan and am familiar with TE Vannett.

He has very good size that is comparable to Gronk (6'6" and 260 lbs), but as you mention, he didn't see a lot of targets due to the fact that they relied VERY heavily on the combination of RB Elliot + the scrambling/rushing QB positions.

The same problem could be said for a guy like WR Braxton Miller. He just didn't get a lot of opportunities, and one of the bigger issues was HC Urban Meyer continuing to flip flop on who he wanted as his starting QB.

Vannett is a decent blocker who can continue to grow as a receiving target with more opportunities. He caught almost 50 balls as a high school senior and was rated as the 9th ranked TE in the country as a 4 star recruit. I'd be more than happy with him as a mid round pick.

Without having seen Vanett yet, Jerrell Adams is my TE of choice. One of the reasons why:

Jeff Howe and I = great minds :)

Reminds me of Pig Prather, the Miss St SS from the 2002 draft, who also went undrafted and whom
I also wanted Bill to sign as an UDFA. Naturally, he didn't.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back