PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I started this thread just to share this video of 300b Baylor DT chasing down a RB from behind on a screen

https://vine.co/v/OiLJKlwrILX

Billings is one of the strongest men in CFB to boot

He is, after all, the top young powerlifter in the state of Texas. In 2012, he broke Mark Henry's 22-year prep record by maxing out for a total of 2,010 pounds (805 on squats, 500 on bench, 705 on dead lift) at the state meet. Today, Billings can bench press 430 pounds four times, squat 610 pounds five times, and hit five reps of 350 pounds on cleans.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/92538/freak-dt-billings-playing-big-role-for-baylor

Let the games begin, My Favorite '16 Prospects:
QB: Cook, Braxton Miller, Jeff Driskel (Not at QB)
RB: Byron Marshall, Keith Marshall, Dee Hart
WR: DGB, Caroo, Shepard, Mitchell
TE: Tyler Kroft, Jesse James, OJ Howard, Deaver
Hopefully it just seems this way looking at CBS and not including next season or next year's underclassmen but perhaps after 2 loaded classes, '14 and '15, '16 is left bare

Last edited:
Ohio State has a trio of sophomores that are really good. Everyone knows about Joey Bosa - DE. But, I was really impressed with Ezekial Elliot their rb and Keyshawn's nephew at WR Michael Thomas. The latest stud RB off the assembly line in Tuscaloosa is Derrick Henry.

A couple of defensive players flashing elite potential are Jaylon Smith - LB - Notre Dame and Jalen Ramsey - S - FSU. Also, keep an eye on Austin Johnson - DT - PSU. He was a red-shirt soph this year and steppin for DaQuan Jones and did a tremendous job. PSU had the top-ranked rush defense in the country. Hard to believe given how few scholarship players they are using. He's about 6'3 315. More of a run stuffer than a 3-tech. Zettel is their other DT and he could be a 3-tech prospect. 4TH year junior is very active and non-stop motor. He's prob 6'4 275-280. If he can get up to 300, he'll play in the NFL.

I only started this thread to show the video of Billings (have you watched it yet?) but if we're getting serious about 2016, the Pittsburgh Panthers have two impressive sophomores in James Conner (RB) and Tyler Boyd (WR). They are two of my favourites in CFB.

Also, he's a strong possibility for 2015 but Breshad Permian, a 6'3 WR from Central Florida is very interesting. I've seen him suggested for the 2nd round this year so certainly a potential first rounder in 2016.

Ohio State has a trio of sophomores that are really good. Everyone knows about Joey Bosa - DE. But, I was really impressed with Ezekial Elliot their rb and Keyshawn's nephew at WR Michael Thomas. The latest stud RB off the assembly line in Tuscaloosa is Derrick Henry.

A couple of defensive players flashing elite potential are Jaylon Smith - LB - Notre Dame and Jalen Ramsey - S - FSU. Also, keep an eye on Austin Johnson - DT - PSU. He was a red-shirt soph this year and steppin for DaQuan Jones and did a tremendous job. PSU had the top-ranked rush defense in the country. Hard to believe given how few scholarship players they are using. He's about 6'3 315. More of a run stuffer than a 3-tech. Zettel is their other DT and he could be a 3-tech prospect. 4TH year junior is very active and non-stop motor. He's prob 6'4 275-280. If he can get up to 300, he'll play in the NFL.
Joey Bosa has to be one of the top elite and my favorite prospects for '16, he'll be star in this league

I only started this thread to show the video of Billings (have you watched it yet?)

I watched it. Impressive motor and pursuit for a DT, though I'm not sure how often DTs will be in that situation, or how important it is compared to short-distance burst. But impressive without a doubt, and someone to watch for 2016.

I usually wait until January 15 to start my 2016 focus, once the 2015 underclassman declarations are set. But happy to get an early start this year.

Keep an eye on A'Shawn Robinson out of Bama. He is the ideal BB DE/DT. At 6-4 with 320 lbs and still growing. He can penetrate the gaps and ist stout against the run.

I am watching pursig an ot from Minnesota. He is 6 foot 9 inches and 320 pounds. If he improves the mobility, he could be a steal for us.

Keep an eye on Oregon DE DeForest Buckner. He's around 6'6"+ and 285-290#. His DC and line coach laud his work ethic, intelligence and technique. Not just an athlete, but he's unusually fluid for a guy his size. I don't think he'll declare this year. Probably a better prospect than Arik Armstead.

Keep an eye on Oregon DE DeForest Buckner. He's around 6'6"+ and 285-290#. His DC and line coach laud his work ethic, intelligence and technique. Not just an athlete, but he's unusually fluid for a guy his size. I don't think he'll declare this year. Probably a better prospect than Arik Armstead.

Been seeing some first round buzz for him even if he declares this year.

Been seeing some first round buzz for him even if he declares this year.

He's got some of Shawn Oakman's freakish athleticism and movement skills for his size, but not the questions about his motor. It will be interesting if he comes out, though I'm not expecting it.

He's got some of Shawn Oakman's freakish athleticism and movement skills for his size, but not the questions about his motor. It will be interesting if he comes out, though I'm not expecting it.

Did you see Oakmans cheap shot in his last game (knee to the face of a prone QB)? Thoughts?

Did you see Oakmans cheap shot in his last game (knee to the face of a prone QB)? Thoughts?

Missed it, so I can't comment for now. Will try to find it.

Edit: Just saw the video clip. Not particularly vicious (it seemed pretty low impact), but clearly a cheap shot and uncalled for. There's no place for that. Should obviously be discussed, and make sure that it is not part of a more pervasive pattern.

I haven't watch a VA game this year but last year as a freshman Eli Harold was a guy who really stood out on tape. If he can put on a little weight and not lose any short area speed and burst he has the size and wingspan to be an impact player.

Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Shane Ray's hit that got him ejected from the SEC championship game?

Definitely very late, but Von Miller did exactly the same thing last week against KC, and certainly didn't get ejected.

Keep an eye on A'Shawn Robinson out of Bama. He is the ideal BB DE/DT. At 6-4 with 320 lbs and still growing. He can penetrate the gaps and ist stout against the run.

Big performance today against Mizzou. DeForest Buckner and Arik Amsted also shined against Arizona.

Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Shane Ray's hit that got him ejected from the SEC championship game?

Definitely very late, but Von Miller did exactly the same thing last week against KC, and certainly didn't get ejected.

I haven't seen it. How did Marku Golden play?

I haven't seen it. How did Marku Golden play?

Here's the hit by Ray:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ouris-star-de-shane-ray-ejected-for-targeting

For comparison, here's an article with a GIF of Miller's late hit on Alex Smith:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article4299203.html

Miller wasn't fined for his hit. Travis Kelce was fined $11K for making an obscene gesture at Miller for the hit. :eek:

Golden did OK, but with Ray out Alabama focused more on him and was able to neutralize him fairly effectively.

Here's the hit by Ray:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ouris-star-de-shane-ray-ejected-for-targeting

For comparison, here's an article with a GIF of Miller's late hit on Alex Smith:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article4299203.html

Miller wasn't fined for his hit. Travis Kelce was fined $11K for making an obscene gesture at Miller for the hit. :eek:

Golden did OK, but with Ray out Alabama focused more on him and was able to neutralize him fairly effectively.

That was pretty late, I don't think one can argue too much against an ejection in that instance. Speaking of Shane Ray and Von Miller, did you see that Ray is starting to get some Von Miller comps?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...best-nfl-comparison-for-missouri-de-shane-ray

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back