PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

One guy I haven't watched yet is Pharoh Cooper. Has anyone seen him? Thoughts?

I dont think its out of reach either..

Not to jump ahead, but i dont see McCaffrey with his size being a top 20 pick.

I've not watched him particularly so can't say. Intriguing talent for sure.

I must. Admit, Matt Forte and Jonathan Williams appeals. Gives Williams a chance to recover properly.

Draft Jonathan Williams this year, Christian McCaffrey next???

Sounds like a good deal!

Man, I have dreams of him playing on the Patriots. He would be a matchup nightmare!
I've not watched him particularly so can't say. Intriguing talent for sure.

I must. Admit, Matt Forte and Jonathan Williams appeals. Gives Williams a chance to recover properly.
I dont think its out of reach either..

Not to jump ahead, but i dont see McCaffrey with his size being a top 20 pick.

That weight is not a problem at all. Christian McCaffery is a pure throughbread Athlete and Football player. Not only are his genes athletic, they're also Smart. His dad was a very successful WR who won 3 Super bowls in his career. His Mother, who his father meet while both at Stanford, comes from an olympic Sprinting background. To describe his speed, he supposedly ran a 10.2 100 meeter dash, in HIGHSCHOOL. To compare that, Usain Bolt's world record is 9.58. To put it lightly, McCaffery has speed in all phases.

Its not just his athletic ability. I have never seen a kid so fundamentally sound, who uses proper technique, patience, vision, Football IQ to combine it with elite athletic ability, at the collegiate level. A small example is how he frequently switches football carrying arms like a calculated robot. Its just a little example of the many amazing things he does. Its truly a privilege watching him play football. You also can't forget, he is only 19 years old. HE SHOULD HAVE WON THE HEISMAN!

Supa, you are an OSU fan right? You must've watched most of his games. Can you tell me what you think of my concerns/verdict on him? These notes are from 3 full games on youtube and memory from what I saw of him during the year:

Ezekiel Elliott
Pros
Reaches 2nd Gear speed quickly
Natural pass catcher
Quickly reaches edges when cutting outside
Sheds tacklers at 2nd level
Nose for the endzone
Great blocker & strong in pass protection

Cons
Comes from Spread-Option Offense - Will need to adjust to running in formations other than shotgun
Needs to be more decisive at line of scrimmage
Character concerns - Called out coaching staff following a loss
Less effective runner between the tackles
Vision could stand to improve
Lacks elite initial burst
Conclusion: Effective in Space/edges, Pass Catcher type RB, Mid-RD 2
Player Comparison: Ahmad Bradshaw

Elliott's blocking/receiving ability is awesome and will translate at the next level. I'm just not sure on his ability running between the tackles in a pro style offense.

I can appreciate the concern from playing in a spread offense where he's used to running out of the shotgun. I think that's a valid concern.

I disagree with making too big of a deal about complaining about not receiving many carries in their only loss of the year. It was the last game at home for many of the players, and it was a very odd game plan for a 17-14 loss which occurred in a torrential downpour. Going away from the run at such a crucial point in the season seemed very strange, and emotions were running high since that ruined their shot at a championship repeat. There were several players who whined in the locker room after the game, but quickly backtracked a couple of hours later. That's pretty much the extent of Elliot's comments.

The "inability to run between the tackles" case was made for such players as Emmitt Smith as well, so it's difficult to know how that will pan out. At 225 lbs, I'm not seeing as much concern as some others, but I'm no draft guru. Perhaps @manxman2601 can give his opinion, as that may be more helpful to you? One thing I disagree with is the 2nd round grade given here. I don't envision any scenario where he lasts past 20, let alone gets out of the first round.

I can appreciate the concern from playing in a spread offense where he's used to running out of the shotgun. I think that's a valid concern.

I disagree with making too big of a deal about complaining about not receiving many carries in their only loss of the year. It was the last game at home for many of the players, and it was a very odd game plan for a 17-14 loss which occurred in a torrential downpour. Going away from the run at such a crucial point in the season seemed very strange, and emotions were running high since that ruined their shot at a championship repeat. There were several players who whined in the locker room after the game, but quickly backtracked a couple of hours later. That's pretty much the extent of Elliot's comments.

The "inability to run between the tackles" case was made for such players as Emmitt Smith as well, so it's difficult to know how that will pan out. At 225 lbs, I'm not seeing as much concern as some others, but I'm no draft guru. Perhaps @manxman2601 can give his opinion, as that may be more helpful to you? One thing I disagree with is the 2nd round grade given here. I don't envision any scenario where he lasts past 20, let alone gets out of the first round.

I've not studied Elliot because he won't be available to us. Best I can say is that he lacks the explosion of Gurley but is about as well rounded a back as has come out in a while. Definitely a top 20 pick and could well go top 10 if a team really likes him. Projects as a top 5 NFL back.

Fair points. He definitely was emotional following that game so I think I can give him a pass.

Elliott should go top 20, maybe to the Texans. I devalue RBs in general and wouldn't draft one that high unless I was sold he would be a star. I'm sold he'll atleast have NFL success though.

Melvin Gordon was terrible his rookie year yet was a consensus 1st round pick and went 17th overall. Such a weird position to evaluate.

One guy I haven't watched yet is Pharoh Cooper. Has anyone seen him? Thoughts?
Not a ton, but I was watching the LSU/South Carolina game today. (was focusing on Jalen Mills) and Cooper caught my eye. He seems really shifty in his movements good speed. He did a bunch of different things, reverses, bubble screens. Mostly short stuff but he makes a lot of plays after the catch with his shiftiness.

Eight minutes in to watching Leonard floyd and I want him bad! Some lucky team is going to get a really good player. Would be an ideal compliment to Hightower and Collins. Fantastic in coverage, very twitchy edge rusher. A sub 7 second 3-cone guy?

Rashawn Scott, WR, Miami
6-2, 205

Must admit I hadn't heard of him until today. Very impressed with his hands in this one cut up. Throws a killer cut block too. Apparently has had some injury issues throughout his career.

Eight minutes in to watching Leonard floyd and I want him bad! Some lucky team is going to get a really good player. Would be an ideal compliment to Hightower and Collins. Fantastic in coverage, very twitchy edge rusher. A sub 7 second 3-cone guy?

I like Floyd manx, I really do, but can we see BB drafting a 220lbs LB?

I like Floyd manx, I really do, but can we see BB drafting a 220lbs LB?

I like him a lot too, just never felt he would be there when we pick. I pray.

He's listed at 231lbs isn't he? But probably not.

Thing is, when I look at him, I see a player with a frame that can at least gain 20 lbs. You can easily play ILB linebacker at 240

I know he's a OLB, but with a trio of Hightower, Floyd, and Collins, you have the ability to change it up in all kinds of ways. Thats doesn't even touch up on the other Front 7 players we have.

I like him a lot too, just never felt he would be there when we pick. I pray.

Thing is, when I look at him, I see a player with a frame that can at least gain 20 lbs. You can easily play ILB linebacker at 240

I know he's a OLB, but with a trio of Hightower, Floyd, and Collins, you have the ability to change it up in all kinds of ways. Thats doesn't even touch up on the other Front 7 players we have.

I agree on his ability to add weight. I've put him n01 on my Pats big board so far ahead of Bullard (and I really like Bullard).

AP weighed 217.
Jamal Charles was 200lbs coming out.
Ladainian Tomlinson was 219.
Thats just a few of the many names.

215lbs is just fine in most cases. I Especially believe this to be true if its here in NE ,where he will most likely be in a time share with at least 1 or more players. Obviously I think about health concerns when scouting a player, and this is what lead me back to getting a little refresh on his fathers career. See, I do remember some of it, but I was very young at the time so its hard to remember things in detail like health. What I discovered about his Father (Fred Taylor) was that he was often injured, this was the main issue with him not getting the recognition he should have during, and especially after his career. His father rushed for over 1,000 yards in a season seven times in his 12-year career, all while only playing two full 16-game seasons.

Fred Taylor started 12 of 15 games in 1998 for the Jaguars as a rookie, rushing for 1,223 and 14 touchdowns, a career high, while also catching 44 passes for 421 yards and three touchdowns. Taylor's best year came in 2003. Taylor started all 16 games for the Jaguars and set a career high with 1,572 yards rushing on 345 carries for six touchdowns. Taylor was still snubbed from the Pro Bowl that season because the league had inflated numbers from its running backs. Now If we could get even get half of that production out of a pick where Kelvin Taylor is projected to go, it would be a worthwhile pick. Now, lets remember his father was drafted number 8th overall, much higher.
Now In terms of Career body of work, Fred Taylor ranks above Hall of Famers John Riggins, OJ Simpson, and Larry Csonka. He is only 534 yards behind Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas and 580 behind Hall of Famer Franco Harris. Fred Taylor is also ranked above players such as Eddie George, our own Corey Dillon, and even Ricky Watters, all of whom are potential Hall of Fame candidates.

Now if you're wondering why Im talking about his father so much, well its because what I discovered when I turned on the highlight tape of his father after watching Kelvin Taylors highlight video, It was like I was watching an identical player. They run the same, in so many ways. Just take a look for yourself.

For example, look at the clip at 1:28

Then go and look at the clip at 1:07 in the second video.
That is just one of many plays.

Now the potential of Kelvin being a player like his father are great enough to where Im willing to consider drafting him, but his potential for injury do concern me. That's why I suggested double dipping on RB's like we have in the past. I think if you could come out of this draft with both Prosise, and Taylor, you have the potential to be set at the RB position for the next 4 years. Remember, Prosise was also a WR, and is a a excellent special teams player, so worse case you get a player with a high chance of at least preforming on his rookie contract.

Taylor has sleeper potential as a RB. I'm a Gator fan. He really didn't have much room to run behind that OL, especially when Treon had to take over as starting QB.

I know, I watched a lot of Florida games the past 2 seasons. Ive just always enjoyed the team and the talent it has been producing for years.

However, I went a watched pretty much all the tape I could find on him. DBD doesnt have any videos for him personally, so I went a watched other Florida prospects. Man I really really like what I see in terms of potential.

HIS NUMBER IS #21

I used draftbreakdown.com video from Jake McGee

Demarcus Robinson

OH BTW, Robinson can't catch a ball without using his body.

He also has many impressive games from the 2014 season, which you can watch by watching Draft breakdown videos on D.J Humphries. I like watching scouting videos of RB from other player positions. You get a better sense how the player was utilized. For instance you see the percentages of workload and situations the RB gets in a time share, not just the plays that that RB ran. I find it helpful.

He really looked good last year against some tuff teams. Its hard not to like what you see

Humphries CL

He's listed at 231lbs isn't he? But probably not.

I could be wrong, but didnt Von Miller come into the NFL at 230lbs?

I swear Denver used him on 1st and 2nd downs as a 4-3 SOLB than on passing downs had him rush the QB.

Could/would BB and Patricia do that with Floyd? Id love to see it!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back