PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revised DW Toys 3 round Mock Draft with trades and why

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chance to sign a reasonable LT to a 5-year contact doesn't happen often. Such an opportunity is worth some scrambling.

Perhaps. You could be right.
DW Toys

Why these draft picks DW Toys? Cousins, they are all serious football guys, study their craft and dedicated. Think BB.
1-23 New England-Rey Maualuga MLB USC-I have vasilated on this one. We have a speed ILB, Now we need a stuffer. Mayo is great but does get pushed back strait on.
2 -34 K.C.>N.E.-Sean Smith CB Utah-Smooth and imposing. A Cromartie type defender with a little more beef. They will throw Hobbs way yet again. Maybe a shut down kid.
2 -47 New England-Louis Delmas FS Western Michigan-Two months ago, nope. Then I saw him play. The more I see this kid the more I see a Polamalu and Bob Sanders. A couple more pounds of muscle and there is your SS.
2 -58 New England-James Casey TE Rice-Said to be maybe the safest pick in the draft. Versatile at WR/S/FB as well. With Thomas gone, Watson with limited receiving ability and Baker more on the slow side, our "Cover 2" weapon.
3 -89 New England- Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State 6-5 287. Wright might not be resigned. This kid has great pass rush potential. Enough speed for ST duty.
No Barwin?We got Gocong! P.S. C/G Eric Cook as our 3rd Round Comp. pick

Looking at your draft scenario, I throw out both of your trades as unrealistic, and come up with the following:

23 - William Beatty, OT. Chance to get a 10 year pro-bowl calibre LOT is too good to pass up.

34 - Connor Barwin, OLB. I love Sean Smith, and if we got Gocong I could understand your reasoning, but I don't see it happening, and a pass rushing OLB is a higher priority given the options at S in the 2nd round.

47 - Louis Delmas, S. Perfect hit. Needs to add 10 lbs. Lack of incredible physical upside may allow him to slip this far.

58 - Hakeem Nicks, WR. Don't believe he will fall this far, but would jump all over him if he did. Reminds me of Jerry Rice.

89 - Jarron Gilbert, DE. If we actually got Nicks at 58 and Gilbert at 89 I would be in 7th heaven. It won't happen, but I'll keep dreaming for now. I see more realistically trading this pick with #58 to move up to around #43 if Nicks is still available.

The only really major need that I would like to see addressed in addition to these picks would be an SILB to go along with Mayo and Guyton, but you can't have anything. And you have my preferred SILB candidate, Robert Ayers, going #11.

Throw in an OG at #97 and a DT backup for Vince Wilfork in the 4th round, and we would be pretty well set.

Can't see the Pats trading Thomas or Maroney, especially Maroney. Taylor isn't fourth behind Maroney. Taylor is second behind Morris, or first ahead of Morris. Faulk is thrid down back. Why would you think Maroney is ahead of Talyor on depth chart?

Maroney is fourth and he costs almost nothing. I know it is popular to call him a bust, but he gains clsoe to 4 ypc and the Pats will never get a cheaper, better RB for the fourth slot.

Same resoning applies to Thomas. He is cheaper than any other TE on the roster excpet Devrees (who is nothing compared to Thomas), and the best value backup there is.

i like the draft you put together. and if it turns out the way you have put it then i can see that there is alooooot ov value anywhere for the pats 1st 3 picks

Looking at your draft scenario, I throw out both of your trades as unrealistic, and come up with the following:

23 - William Beatty, OT. Chance to get a 10 year pro-bowl calibre LOT is too good to pass up.

34 - Connor Barwin, OLB. I love Sean Smith, and if we got Gocong I could understand your reasoning, but I don't see it happening, and a pass rushing OLB is a higher priority given the options at S in the 2nd round.

47 - Louis Delmas, S. Perfect hit. Needs to add 10 lbs. Lack of incredible physical upside may allow him to slip this far.

58 - Hakeem Nicks, WR. Don't believe he will fall this far, but would jump all over him if he did. Reminds me of Jerry Rice.

89 - Jarron Gilbert, DE. If we actually got Nicks at 58 and Gilbert at 89 I would be in 7th heaven. It won't happen, but I'll keep dreaming for now. I see more realistically trading this pick with #58 to move up to around #43 if Nicks is still available.

The only really major need that I would like to see addressed in addition to these picks would be an SILB to go along with Mayo and Guyton, but you can't have anything. And you have my preferred SILB candidate, Robert Ayers, going #11.

Throw in an OG at #97 and a DT backup for Vince Wilfork in the 4th round, and we would be pretty well set.

Ding, Ding , Ding we have a WINNER!!!

Wow this is exactly the draft I would love that Pats to have as of right now. I know everybody has DB or OLB as the top priority but due to value (and great pick up draft picks #34 and #48, thanks KC and SD) we can fill our DB need there and OLB as well. With the loss of Gaffney I love Hicks as a WR we could plug into WR3 and be the replacement for Moss eventually. Gilbert I must admit I have not seen enough film on so I am just going on this write ups and the video of the pool stunt:D:D. I hope to do some homework (and find some game film on this guy) to have a better opinion on Gilbert in the near future.

Last edited:
Ding, Ding , Ding we have a WINNER!!!

Wow this is exactly the draft I would love that Pats to have as of right now. I know everybody has DB or OLB as the top priority but due to value (and great pick up draft picks #34 and #48, thanks KC and SD) we can fill our DB need there and OLB as well. With the loss of Gaffney I love Hicks as a WR we could plug into WR3 and be the replacement for Moss eventually. Gilbert I must admit I have not seen enough film on so I am just going on this write ups and the video of the pool stunt:D:D. I hope to do some homework (and find some game film on this guy) to have a better opinion on Gilbert in the near future.

Gilbert dominated in the Shrine game. He was like a man among boys.
DW Toys

Gilbert dominated in the Shrine game. He was like a man among boys.
DW Toys

The reason for that is that he was playing among boys in the Shrine game. :D Not exactly NFL-level competition.

I'm fine with Gilbert and like him a lot, only (1) I don't see him lasting to #89 by any stretch of the imagination and (2) there are a lot of other players who I think offer similar if not better value at #58. He's one of several I would be ok with, but I'm not ready to go all out to get him - and neither are you if you have him lasting to #89.

Can't see the Pats trading Thomas or Maroney, especially Maroney. Taylor isn't fourth behind Maroney. Taylor is second behind Morris, or first ahead of Morris. Faulk is thrid down back. Why would you think Maroney is ahead of Talyor on depth chart?

Maroney is fourth and he costs almost nothing. I know it is popular to call him a bust, but he gains clsoe to 4 ypc and the Pats will never get a cheaper, better RB for the fourth slot.

Same resoning applies to Thomas. He is cheaper than any other TE on the roster excpet Devrees (who is nothing compared to Thomas), and the best value backup there is.
Well his CAP is approx. $2.5m. He is at his highest value right now. and I do not say he is first string RB. My point was that they did not get Morris to sit in fourth. I think Taylor and Morris share. In any trade, you have to give to get. The Eagles need a TE and RB. We can't offer Devrees, right? In my Mock we take the safest pick in the draft, Casey, TE from Rice to replace Thomas.
DW Toys

The reason for that is that he was playing among boys in the Shrine game. :D Not exactly NFL-level competition.

I'm fine with Gilbert and like him a lot, only (1) I don't see him lasting to #89 by any stretch of the imagination and (2) there are a lot of other players who I think offer similar if not better value at #58. He's one of several I would be ok with, but I'm not ready to go all out to get him - and neither are you if you have him lasting to #89.

You are right. He could go higher. This is not a perfect science so we leave it as a guess, I guess.
I like him to replace Wright for now.
DW Toys

I think the lack of good 3-4 end prospects will make this kid go higher then he should or we would put value on to pick him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back