PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

One stat I like to look at for CBs is the passes defended stat in light of BB's reported requirements for CBs (I did a post on this last year):

A good barometer for a corner is how often does he get his hands on the ball. Not just INTs but break ups too.

Defining The BB Defensive Back | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Now bear in mind that we drafted Darryl Roberts who had 17 PBUs last year.

So two names stand out to me.
  1. William Jackson III, Houston. 21 PBUs which is a big number and he's got excellent length at 6-1. I must admit, I didn't love his tape when I watched it but he's worth another look.
  2. Kalan Reed, Southern Miss. Reportedly 5-11, 195lbs but looks a little smaller than that. He has 17 PBUs on the year (I've seen 19 mentioned too). Looks more like a slot guy and plays more zone than press-man. Not an overly physical player, but looks to be a high effort guy with good hips.

And check out this interception:

Adam Bisnowaty is Pittsburgh's LT, is a RS Jnr that has applied for a draft grade and is listed at 6-6 and 305 lbs. the interesting thing about him is that he's a former wrestler (strength) and basketball player (athleticism). Watching some James Conner tape, both are evident. Interesting prospect though I'd like him to be 10-15lbs heavier.

As an aside, I love James Conner and it's such a shame about his cancer. I'd love him as a Patriot some time in the future.

Texas-San Antonio TE David Morgan was @Pff's highest graded TE this year and according to them was the best blocking TE. He also was chosen for the 2nd team All-American by USA Today. You can see some of that blocking prowess with this pancake (he's the guy in the slot that trips at the start of the play):

Ronald Blair, DE, Appalaichan State
6-3, 270lbs.

I'll let the tape speak for itself. Bear in mind this is against the number one team in CFB, Clemson.

Has a Shrine game invite so he's on the radar.

Apparently this is the time of year when Manx goes in to freak mode.

so impressive, keep it comin!

Ronald Blair, DE, Appalaichan State
6-3, 270lbs.

I'll let the tape speak for itself. Bear in mind this is against the number one team in CFB, Clemson.

Has a Shrine game invite so he's on the radar.

Kindve a mix between adalius thomas and Grissom. Having seen nothing else, will be interesting if he can play on his feet at all. Definitely has some power and length to his game.

Adam Bisnowaty is Pittsburgh's LT, is a RS Jnr that has applied for a draft grade and is listed at 6-6 and 305 lbs. the interesting thing about him is that he's a former wrestler (strength) and basketball player (athleticism). Watching some James Conner tape, both are evident. Interesting prospect though I'd like him to be 10-15lbs heavier.

As an aside, I love James Conner and it's such a shame about his cancer. I'd love him as a Patriot some time in the future.

When you think about replacing Blount, the idea of finding someone with a similar physical component is highly unlikely. Conner has all the size, but has the skill element to go with it. How he works over defensive players is similar to how Gronk operates.

All the best to his recovery, and I hope to see him back as soon as possible.

This is a guy I've been meaning to take a look at:

LeRaven, Clark, Texas Tech LT.

This is a guy I've been meaning to take a look at:

LeRaven, Clark, Texas Tech LT.

Love seeing his effort and enthusiasm there, but if he goes up against JJ Watt his arms might wind up like this guy's at the All-Drug Olympics.....

drug-olympics-o.gif

So a few players I found that I like so far.

WR - Sterling Shepard - At 5'10 he will probably be there in rounds 2 and 3 cause the bigger WRs are sexier but this guy is gonna be good. He honestly reminds me a lot of Edelman. His on field quickness is the real deal. He jukes hard and makes people tackle air. He has good on field long speed as well. The thing i like about him the most is he seems to have that scrappy and clutch intangible thing going on. He attacks the ball when needed. He fights for extra yards after contact. I would name him my first official binky of this years draft. I could really see him fitting in well on the Patriots. He does everything they like.

LB - Tyler Marakevich - He is smaller than we usually go for but we have gone this small before at 230. He can put on a little weight but his frame probably won't hold more than 240 comfortably. However I see him as a very complete LB potentially. I think he could play in a 4-2-5 in a pinch cause his skill set includes everything. He can pass rush, has a nose for run defense and is a very accomplished pass defender.

That is all I have for now but my first 2 binkies of the year! : )

Last edited:
Love seeing his effort and enthusiasm there, but if he goes up against JJ Watt his arms might wind up like this guy's at the All-Drug Olympics.....

drug-olympics-o.gif

Watt's a ****y. If Marcus Cannon can block him, anyone can.

#notentirelyserious

One stat I like to look at for CBs is the passes defended stat in light of BB's reported requirements for CBs (I did a post on this last year):

Defining The BB Defensive Back | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Now bear in mind that we drafted Darryl Roberts who had 17 PBUs last year.

So two names stand out to me.
  1. William Jackson III, Houston. 21 PBUs which is a big number and he's got excellent length at 6-1. I must admit, I didn't love his tape when I watched it but he's worth another look.
  2. Kalan Reed, Southern Miss. Reportedly 5-11, 195lbs but looks a little smaller than that. He has 17 PBUs on the year (I've seen 19 mentioned too). Looks more like a slot guy and plays more zone than press-man. Not an overly physical player, but looks to be a high effort guy with good hips.

And check out this interception:

Williams Jackson has been on my radar for awhile now as well.

Last edited:
This is big for the draft.

Wouldn't mind being in play for him next year.

Evan Engram is returning for his Senior year

A couple of tweets from a fellow Kevin Peterson fan:

The only WR that I've seen flat beat Kevin Peterson this year was Sterling Shepard.

After I tweeted him my Malcolm Butler comp for Peterson, he replied that "this one is spot on". He's just an amateur draftnik but I can see from following him on Twitter that he watches a lot of tape. There can't be many that have watched as much of Peterson as he has.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back