PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

I have not found my binkie yet this year either, although I am behind this year because of a crazy fall with work. After this weekend I should be able to devote more time to scouting.
If he does come out, Kareem Hunt out of Toledo is a RB that has really caught my eye. A lot like Booker out of Utah or Dixon from LA Tech but I like the way he runs with power. He has great balance and good hands as well. Has fought some injuries but could be a nice get in the middle rounds with lead back potential.

I have not found my binkie yet this year either, although I am behind this year because of a crazy fall with work. After this weekend I should be able to devote more time to scouting.
If he does come out, Kareem Hunt out of Toledo is a RB that has really caught my eye. A lot like Booker out of Utah or Dixon from LA Tech but I like the way he runs with power. He has great balance and good hands as well. Has fought some injuries but could be a nice get in the middle rounds with lead back potential.

Have you watched Alex Collins yet? Reminds me of a stronger Ridley - has the quick feet to get through holes inside. In fact, they should just draft the Arkansas duo and then not worry about the RB position for four years. Michael Williams may be the better talent than Collins but he has a foot injury which hopefully will be reflected in his stock.

Edit: Just seen your reply in the other thread.

Those of you who liked Nelson Agholor last year should take a look at Colorado State's Rashard Higgins who is a similar prospect. He's only a junior but he's an exciting talent at WR.

I was looking at engram as well. He reminds me of Aaron Hernandez minus the off the field issues. They both are pretty athletic and have an uncanny ability to make the first defender miss. And I think that should be the type of TE we should look for to compliment gronk. I haven't started looking at hodges or hooper yet so maybe my opinion can change.

But as for Blount, I like him but it seems like he does wants to bang down the middle and I think that's what we need.

I was looking at engram as well. He reminds me of Aaron Hernandez minus the off the field issues. They both are pretty athletic and have an uncanny ability to make the first defender miss. And I think that should be the type of TE we should look for to compliment gronk. I haven't started looking at hodges or hooper yet so maybe my opinion can change.

But as for Blount, I like him but it seems like he does wants to bang down the middle and I think that's what we need.

I had the same thought about engram. I know Hernandez wasn't the best blocker, but he was serviceable. Engram will have to do some serious work to even get to that level.

With that said, I was very down on funchess, and he has been a great addition for Carolina as the season has progressed.

I guess for me I go between the different looks of the two tight end look. Maybe they look at a Hernandez type, or maybe they look at a Daniel graham type. This draft will definitely set the options for every type of combination to go with gronk and Williams.

Its very early in the process, but I think I have my binkie.

Terrance Smith, OLB/ILB/SS, FSU
6'4 230lbs

I was very adament last summer that the Pats should focus on bringing in a linebacker who could cover and free up collins do have more collins-type things. I thought Ben Heeney could have been that guy, but now I am wondering if the game is moving more towards Terrance Smith being the answer.

He was a high school sprinter who came to FSU as a safety, but moved to OLB and eventually ILB. He really gets moved around a lot on their defense, and has a lot of anger in the way he plays. If there is a player he reminds me of, I would say Sean Taylor. He just attacks the ball and ball carrier, almost looking to hurt guys. Its impressive to see, especially given his incredible physical traits.

I think given the other pieces we have up front, a guy like Smith could be a terror on our D. With the amount of chess pieces BB already has to work with, a swiss army knife that can rush the passer, cover wideouts/backs/tight ends, and also hit like a truck could put this team in a whole other dimension.

The big drawbacks so far have been health and over aggressiveness. He was redshirted early in his career and has missed some games this year as well. I see so much of Jaime Collins in him, just having moved around a lot on defense, which I think will end up being a huge plus for him as a pro.

As of now hes listed as a 4-5th round guy, but once the combine hits, I imagine he will move up in to the 2-3 range.

I dont see us spending a lot of draft assets on D, but linebacker would be one spot I can see them using a mid level pick on.

I see Matt Miller has Braxton Miller going to the Patriots at 64 in his latest mock. Can't say I'm unhappy with that possibility :)

Also, Miller has just accepted a Senior Bowl invite so we'll see his WR skills tested.

I see Matt Miller has Braxton Miller going to the Patriots at 64 in his latest mock. Can't say I'm unhappy with that possibility :)

Also, Miller has just accepted a Senior Bowl invite so we'll see his WR skills tested.
I guess I don't love tnt idea of using a 2nd round pick on a guy who played one year at wr. I'm probably not giving enough credit to his upside

2 things...

1. Jake Butt TE from Michigan staying another year in college.

2. Tyler Boyd WR from Pitt is delcaring. Any interest?

2 things...

1. Jake Butt TE from Michigan staying another year in college.

2. Tyler Boyd WR from Pitt is delcaring. Any interest?

Really like Boyd but I'd be surprised if he lasts to 64.

I guess I don't love tnt idea of using a 2nd round pick on a guy who played one year at wr. I'm probably not giving enough credit to his upside

I get that and feel similar. I suppose the one good thing about Miller as a WR is that he hasn't had time to learn bad habits as a WR. They can get him in to camp and coach him to be the WR they want. And anyway, I see him more as an HB type, someone who could be used in various roles on the offence (a bit of a Dion Lewis/Edelman hybrid but at 215lbs).

Millers uniqueness will also put a higher importance on combine stats.

So strange having such a high level prospect with a major program be such an unknown commodity.

He's clearly very athletic, but to what extent? What type of numbers does he have to put up to be taken seriously?

I get that and feel similar. I suppose the one good thing about Miller as a WR is that he hasn't had time to learn bad habits as a WR. They can get him in to camp and coach him to be the WR they want. And anyway, I see him more as an HB type, someone who could be used in various roles on the offence (a bit of a Dion Lewis/Edelman hybrid but at 215lbs).
The only player who comes to mind who entered the league recently in that mold was Kennard Robinson and other than a few flashes he hasn't done much

Millers uniqueness will also put a higher importance on combine stats.

So strange having such a high level prospect with a major program be such an unknown commodity.

He's clearly very athletic, but to what extent? What type of numbers does he have to put up to be taken seriously?

Not too worried about his jumps and he only needs to run sub 4.5. For me, shuttle and 3-cone will be key. 4.1 or better on the shuttle and below 6.8 on the 3-cone will be fine.

The only player who comes to mind who entered the league recently in that mold was Kennard Robinson and other than a few flashes he hasn't done much

I was thinking "bigger Julian Edelman" personally. We'll see at the Senior Bowl whether Miller's receiving skills are up to scratch.

Elijah McGuire, RB of Louisiana-Lafayette has applied for a draft grade. He's more lightning than thunder but he's got terrific balance and is really explosive. Would make for a nice Dion Lewis backup.

Not too worried about his jumps and he only needs to run sub 4.5. For me, shuttle and 3-cone will be key. 4.1 or better on the shuttle and below 6.8 on the 3-cone will be fine.

If miller could pull in times like that, he would end up with pretty comparable measurables to about a half dozen Pat receivers over the years.

Chad Jackson
Tj moe
Josh Boyce
Anthony Gonzalez
Tiquan underwood
Greg salas
Austin collie
Brandon lafell

The closest to what I imagine miller in terms of expectation and measurables would be lafell, which would be fitting since he would be drafted to replace him.

If miller could pull in times like that, he would end up with pretty comparable measurables to about a half dozen Pat receivers over the years.

Chad Jackson
Tj moe
Josh Boyce
Anthony Gonzalez
Tiquan underwood
Greg salas
Austin collie
Brandon lafell

The closest to what I imagine miller in terms of expectation and measurables would be lafell, which would be fitting since he would be drafted to replace him.

I'm curious to see if he gets anywhere near Allen Robinson. That would make him very interesting.

*Allen Robinson | Penn State, WR : 2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Robinson did put up special numbers though.

Had him in my most recent mock:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back