PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

That 2011 class though. When Von Miller, Marcel Dareus, Robert Quinn and Aldon smith aren't considered the best of the class, that tells you how good the class is. In any other year, those four would be considered the cream of the crop and yet they all play second best to JJ. And then of course there's sack merchant Akeem Ayers!

Great work Mayo. So, we're going; Clemmings, Coleman, Petty and Josh Robinson:)

Love Clemmings, Coleman and Robinson. But I'd still go DE in the 1st, depending on the value. I'd go after Dupree, Fowler or Calhoun if the are within range (still need to evaluate Hunter and see if he declares, and how he fits).

Clemmings and Brandon Scherff are the only non-DE prospects who I would be tempted to take in the 1st.

That 2011 class though. When Von Miller, Marcel Dareus, Robert Quinn and Aldon smith aren't considered the best of the class, that tells you how good the class is. In any other year, those four would be considered the cream of the crop and yet they all play second best to JJ. And then of course there's sack merchant Akeem Ayers!

The other guy I look at from that class is Muhammad Wilkerson. A true impact player who fell to #30. And Cam Jordan isn't chopped liver. I hope something similar happens this year.

Love Clemmings, Coleman and Robinson. But I'd still go DE in the 1st, depending on the value. I'd go after Dupree, Fowler or Calhoun if the are within range (still need to evaluate Hunter and see if he declares, and how he fits).

Clemmings and Brandon Scherff are the only non-DE prospects who I would be tempted to take in the 1st.

You've gone off La'El Collins? I think Sambrailo deserves some watching although I think of him as a 2nd rounder. Same with Jake Fisher. I'd take Shaq Thompson in the first. the Mathieu of linebackers - a playmaker.

Just got round to watching Josh Robinson. sorry guys but I don't see what you do in him. Fun to watch but I'm not convinced he projects that well to the NFL. I wanted to like him but gave him a 6th-7th round grade.

You've gone off La'El Collins? I think Sambrailo deserves some watching although I think of him as a 2nd rounder. Same with Jake Fisher. I'd take Shaq Thompson in the first. the Mathieu of linebackers - a playmaker.

Just got round to watching Josh Robinson. sorry guys but I don't see what you do in him. Fun to watch but I'm not convinced he projects that well to the NFL. I wanted to like him but gave him a 6th-7th round grade.

Not sure of Collins yet. Sambrailo is interesting. I don't dislike any of those guys, but right now Scherff and Clemmings are the only 2 who really tug at my heart strings at the idea of passing on either if they were available for a pass rusher.

Fisher is one of the guys I'm really interested in for round 2. He plays with a nasty edge, and it wouldn't shock me if he ended up being a bit like Kyle Long. I'm still interested in Cam Erving's potential, though he's had a terrible season. Buy low.

One of the advantages of having so many good pass rushers in a class is that it becomes highly subjective. JJ Watt ended up being the 4th DE (including DE/DT and DE/OLB) off the board, Robert Quinn the 6th. In 2012 Chandler Jones ended up being the 6th DE off the board. No one expected Bruce Irvin or Shea McClellin to go ahead of Jones. It will be interesting to see who becomes a fast riser in the pre-draft season, and who may slip a bit.

One of the advantages of having so many good pass rushers in a class is that it becomes highly subjective. JJ Watt ended up being the 4th DE (including DE/DT and DE/OLB) off the board, Robert Quinn the 6th. In 2012 Chandler Jones ended up being the 6th DE off the board. No one expected Bruce Irvin or Shea McClellin to go ahead of Jones. It will be interesting to see who becomes a fast riser in the pre-draft season, and who may slip a bit.

Truth.

But of course this doesn't happen. What CBS says now is apparently gospel or so I've been reading on here.

But of course this doesn't happen. What CBS says now is apparently gospel or so I've been reading on here.

I obviously don't need to tell you this, but the rankings don't mean squat, and your eyes are a much better gauge than anything else. If someone looks like a legitimate prospect to you, odds are he is. I'll never forget Box talking about Nick Fairley "chewing up double teams like a young **** Seymour" when Fairley was ranked in the 500s on CBS Sports' site.

I obviously don't need to tell you this, but the rankings don't mean squat, and your eyes are a much better gauge than anything else. If someone looks like a legitimate prospect to you, odds are he is. I'll never forget Box talking about Nick Fairley "chewing up double teams like a young **** Seymour" when Fairley was ranked in the 500s on CBS Sports' site.

Highlighting CBS' slowness in identifying talent isn't a criticism of them, they have a lot of players to watch - they do tend to have pretty a pretty accurate ranking come draft day. But the truth is, they are slow to follow trends in draft stock and they do get focused on too much by us because aside from ESPN which is hidden behind a pay wall, they are the only ones doing a comprehensive board this early on.

Highlighting CBS' slowness in identifying talent isn't a criticism of them, they have a lot of players to watch - they do tend to have pretty a pretty accurate ranking come draft day. But the truth is, they are slow to follow trends in draft stock and they do get focused on too much by us because aside from ESPN which is hidden behind a pay wall, they are the only ones doing a comprehensive board this early on.

CBS Sports does a great job, but it's ridiculously hard to "rank" prospects at all, and impossible to view adequate film of everyone. Word of mouth is important for finding guys to look at in more detail, but too many draftniks simply follow the prevailing trends. There's no substitute for looking at film - especially more than one game, as anyone can have a great game - and then using the media scuttlebut to cross-check.

The Pats, of course, do their own scouting and don't follow the national scouting services. They sometimes miss out on guys because of this, but they also go outside of the box to find values.

On ESPN Insider, Mel Kiper has done a "If the Draft Was Today" piece and one of the questions he was asked was:

Which prospect would merit consideration with the first pick?

He gives four names and three are Leonard Williams, Mariota and Gregory. interestingly, the fourth, and my has he ascended, is Shane Ray. I had in a mock back in October. So much for that.

Paul Guillemette with some scouting reports on players we've discussed. Not a good one on Dupree. Interesting one on Preston Smith. I don't know much about Guillemette other than he's on GBN. They also have a new mock up with us taking Danny Shelton - DT - Washington.

http://www.gbnreport.com/paulspage.html

Paul Guillemette with some scouting reports on players we've discussed. Not a good one on Dupree. Interesting one on Preston Smith. I don't know much about Guillemette other than he's on GBN. They also have a new mock up with us taking Danny Shelton - DT - Washington.

http://www.gbnreport.com/paulspage.html

I've not seen his work before so thanks for the link. He has this to say about Virginia Safety Anthony Harris, someone I've talked about:

ANTHONY HARRIS/FS/VIRGINIA #8 6'1/190 Virginia has been one of the biggest surprises in the country this year. Expected to be a bottom feeder in the ACC, again, the team is 4-3 (with a tough schedule), which doubles its win total from 2013.The surge has primarily been led by stout defensive work. And the best player on that D is HARRIS. He led the nation with 8 INT last season, while racking up 80 tackles. His INT count is only at 1 so far, but through 7 games he's already been credited with 65 total tackles. He flew all over the field in the tight loss to DUKE, recording 14 tackles for the game, as well as 1 PBU and 1 QBH. Despite being under 200 lbs. he gives receivers and runners cause for pause with his violent hits. He even dings himself at times with the speed and violence of his tackles. He has great field vision and ball awareness. His energy and effort are relentless. His size and style of play remind me of... wait for it... ED REED. He may not be a First Rounder next May, but he should be. He would upgrade half the secondaries in the NFL the first time he walked out onto the field. I luv me some ANTHONY HARRIS and look forward to watching him up close and personal in Mobile next January.

I went with a McCourty comp rather than Ed Reed which is a little ambitious but I like this guy :)

I think Washington DT/NT Danny Shelton (6'2", 338#) is my new chief binky. I saw him for a series here and there earlier in the year and he didn't strike me as anything special. I see him today and he's doing a spot-on young Vince Wilfork imitation. Very quick off the ball, running sideline-to-sideline in run defense, when not double-teamed pushing his man into the QB (in shotgun) in about 1 second flat. Wow!

Two more names that intrigue me and that were getting good reviews on twitter last night:

2. Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State

6'4, 298lbs,. An athletic 5-tech type with good COD skills that allegedly runs a 4.7.

Two sacks last night, including a forced fumble, and a pressure that led to an INT. That's six sacks in four weeks for a prospect that is close to the perfect 5-tech build.

I think Washington DT/NT Danny Shelton (6'2", 338#) is my new chief binky. I saw him for a series here and there earlier in the year and he didn't strike me as anything special. I see him today and he's doing a spot-on young Vince Wilfork imitation. Very quick off the ball, running sideline-to-sideline in run defense, when not double-teamed pushing his man into the QB (in shotgun) in about 1 second flat. Wow!

I really need to get round to watching him.

Not sure of Collins yet. Sambrailo is interesting. I don't dislike any of those guys, but right now Scherff and Clemmings are the only 2 who really tug at my heart strings at the idea of passing on either if they were available for a pass rusher.

Fisher is one of the guys I'm really interested in for round 2. He plays with a nasty edge, and it wouldn't shock me if he ended up being a bit like Kyle Long. I'm still interested in Cam Erving's potential, though he's had a terrible season. Buy low.
Not sure if you caught Noles/Canes last night Mayo. FSU moved Erving to center. Prob for the rest of the year. A little versatility always helps a prospects grade.

Interesting on twitter that the NFL Network are reporting that the Seahawks are planning on moving on from Marshawn Lynch and that three separate decent pundits are reporting that the Seahawks are taking a hard look at Melvin Gordon. And while it's nothing more than speculation on my part, I can see the Rams drafting Gurley (Fisher always drafts talent and upside). It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see the two best RBs in the draft go into the NFC West.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back