PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

I'm not one to get excited by one great game but i'm going to hold off on wanting a RB until we see some more of Beast Mo..sorry..Jonas Gray.

I'm not one to get excited by one great game but i'm going to hold off on wanting a RB until we see some more of Beast Mo..sorry..Jonas Gray.

I've been saying for a while that I want to wait and evaluate the RB group before deciding how aggressively to pursue a RB. Gray is just one piece of the puzzle. See if White develops, see how Gaffney's recovery is progressing, see what happens with Vereen and Ridley for 2015. I think a RB is la strong possibility either in FA or the draft, especially with what looks like a strong and deep class, but I have no idea how to evaluate the position right now.

I've been saying for a while that I want to wait and evaluate the RB group before deciding how aggressively to pursue a RB. Gray is just one piece of the puzzle. See if White develops, see how Gaffney's recovery is progressing, see what happens with Vereen and Ridley for 2015. I think a RB is la strong possibility either in FA or the draft, especially with what looks like a strong and deep class, but I have no idea how to evaluate the position right now.

I think we just have to wait and see how Gray plays for the rest of the season. Anymore like that and I think he jumps to the main back. We've talked about signing beast mode. Gray couldn't have been more Beast Mode tonight. The biggest question for me is Vereen. Does he do enough to warrant re-signing? I'm not convinced.

The biggest question for me is Vereen. Does he do enough to warrant re-signing? I'm not convinced.

Of course he does. The only question is, does he do enough to warrant what it takes to re-sign him?

Statistically, Vereen is on pace to have a season on par with Kevin Faulk's better seasons - around 500 yards each rushing and receiving with around 50 receptions. He's a very, very solid weapon in Brady's arsenal, he is a strong blocker, he's very physical for his role, and he has a good rapport with Brady. There's absolutely no reason to upgrade him if the price is reasonable. If it isn't, that's another matter altogether.

If it were a year or so ago, I'd agree with you about Vereen, but I think he's a definite keeper. The guy has become a pretty good piece in this offense. Unfortunately, I think there's going to be a few teams looking at him after the season, so I won't be shocked to see him elsewhere. I'd love to see him come back for a similar deal to what Woodhead landed with the Chargers, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Guys, with the additions of Wright, Ayers and Casillas AFTER the draft, we addressed a few needs and they are proving to be not only stopgap players but guys that will give solid contribution. There's also Branch that may find a place here. There is a logjam of receivers that resulted in KT being waived and Dobson inactive, and both were good last season. There is kind of a logjam at CB too, Dennard is not being missed and there's this kid Butler as well.

We have a few extra picks from Mallet, Mankins, compensatory picks, I don't know but I don't think there are room for 7+ rookies and I don't want to see rookies with potential being released just like happened this year with Gallon and Jemea Thomas.

My point, having another good off-season signing our own players, this is a draft to trade up. As of now, I would say the priorities for the 1st round pick would be linebacker, another O-lineman and Safety.

Frank Clark has been dismissed from the Michigan program. What a waste.

Guys, with the additions of Wright, Ayers and Casillas AFTER the draft, we addressed a few needs and they are proving to be not only stopgap players but guys that will give solid contribution. There's also Branch that may find a place here. There is a logjam of receivers that resulted in KT being waived and Dobson inactive, and both were good last season. There is kind of a logjam at CB too, Dennard is not being missed and there's this kid Butler as well.

We have a few extra picks from Mallet, Mankins, compensatory picks, I don't know but I don't think there are room for 7+ rookies and I don't want to see rookies with potential being released just like happened this year with Gallon and Jemea Thomas.

My point, having another good off-season signing our own players, this is a draft to trade up. As of now, I would say the priorities for the 1st round pick would be linebacker, another O-lineman and Safety.

If you assume that they bring back all of McCourty, Revis, Vereen, Chung, Connolly, Ghost, Branch, Ayers and Casillas, then yes, in terms of the 53 man squad, it's unlikely that all the draft picks we have could all make the 53 man. But I think we're a long way from that position right now.

But, I'm not sure I necessarily agree with your priorities, particularly at linebacker where Mayo, Hightower, Collins and Casillas makes for a nice rotation. And Safety could be interesting. Chung had about half of all defensive snaps yesterday. There was talk about Arrington or Ryan playing safety in the pre-season. They haven't done that, but their slot CB role is as important as that second Safety spot.

If you assume that they bring back all of McCourty, Revis, Vereen, Chung, Connolly, Ghost, Branch, Ayers and Casillas, then yes, in terms of the 53 man squad, it's unlikely that all the draft picks we have could all make the 53 man. But I think we're a long way from that position right now.

But, I'm not sure I necessarily agree with your priorities, particularly at linebacker where Mayo, Hightower, Collins and Casillas makes for a nice rotation. And Safety could be interesting. Chung had about half of all defensive snaps yesterday. There was talk about Arrington or Ryan playing safety in the pre-season. They haven't done that, but their slot CB role is as important as that second Safety spot.

Agree with you, a few moves would have to be made to adequate the money. I think Revis and McCourty will be resigned/extended without having to make too much magic, considering the current salary cap and the fact that will probably raise again.

As for the other guys, I see some guys like Hooman and Arrington as cap casualties, just like Amendola, if the math makes sense, I'm not going to research salaries, etc...So they can free up some money to move to another players. Those are not going to be expensive signings, Ayers, Casillas, etc..

Vereen we will have to see how the market will dictate his value, I think teams will overpay for his services and to weaken the Patriots. This has Colts written all over it because they also are in need of RB's. I believe BB will not break the bank here.

Chung - Replaceable.

Connolly - BB will approach a friendly deal, Connolly is not an automatic starter in any team of the league, here he is a starter, if he's smart he's not going to quit certainty for hope, also he's 32. There is probably a guard or tackle being drafted in one of our 3 first picks I believe.

Ghost - Pay the man. I think BB will go over the market here if necessary. Reliable player, knows every wind in Gillete, hard worker, Patriots type of player.

As for your second paragraph, I said linebacker with the 1st round pick with the mentality of moving on from Mayo. I want him to stay and I love him but he suffered a injured that is no joke, maybe he will need to play less downs and get his role diminished a little, also that would go in favor of a restructured contract. I agree with your rotation but in my list is Mayo/TBD , Collins, Hightower, Ayers/Casillas. Even if Mayo comes back 100% another top flight linebacker would not hurt.

I don't believe in Ryan or Arrington becoming safety. I think they should seek a guy who has always played the position. If BB really wants a guy with this profile I think Arrington or Dennard will be traded (if we sign Revis and McCourty) otherwise there will be what, 8 DB's? This kid Butler created a big problem for BB, but is a problem every coach wants to have.

Agree with you, a few moves would have to be made to adequate the money. I think Revis and McCourty will be resigned/extended without having to make too much magic, considering the current salary cap and the fact that will probably raise again.

As for the other guys, I see some guys like Hooman and Arrington as cap casualties, just like Amendola, if the math makes sense, I'm not going to research salaries, etc...So they can free up some money to move to another players. Those are not going to be expensive signings, Ayers, Casillas, etc..

Vereen we will have to see how the market will dictate his value, I think teams will overpay for his services and to weaken the Patriots. This has Colts written all over it because they also are in need of RB's. I believe BB will not break the bank here.

Chung - Replaceable.

Connolly - BB will approach a friendly deal, Connolly is not an automatic starter in any team of the league, here he is a starter, if he's smart he's not going to quit certainty for hope, also he's 32. There is probably a guard or tackle being drafted in one of our 3 first picks I believe.

Ghost - Pay the man. I think BB will go over the market here if necessary. Reliable player, knows every wind in Gillete, hard worker, Patriots type of player.

As for your second paragraph, I said linebacker with the 1st round pick with the mentality of moving on from Mayo. I want him to stay and I love him but he suffered a injured that is no joke, maybe he will need to play less downs and get his role diminished a little, also that would go in favor of a restructured contract. I agree with your rotation but in my list is Mayo/TBD , Collins, Hightower, Ayers/Casillas. Even if Mayo comes back 100% another top flight linebacker would not hurt.

I don't believe in Ryan or Arrington becoming safety. I think they should seek a guy who has always played the position. If BB really wants a guy with this profile I think Arrington or Dennard will be traded (if we sign Revis and McCourty) otherwise there will be what, 8 DB's? This kid Butler created a big problem for BB, but is a problem every coach wants to have.

To answer some of your points:

1. I hope they keep Arrington because he's become the go to guy at covering teams quicker receivers (Hilton and Sanders) the last two weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on Golden Tate next week too. I think Arrington has been excellent this year.

2. I didn't day that Ryan/Arrington should become safeties, just that the slot CB role is becoming as important as that SS position. Chung had less snaps than Arrington and Ryan yesterday. That's far from definitive, but it's possible that SS is becoming devalued a little in the way we are playing defence at the moment. Not completely, but I do wonder whether it would warrant a first round pick. If nothing else, it's something that will be interesting to keep an eye on for the rest of the year.

I'll stick with my priorities for now:

1.=Pass Rusher
1.=OG
3. DL (Big ugly)
4. RB. (Depends on Gray/Vereen).
5. Safety (unless Chung isn't re-signed).

I know there's been talk of a 53 man game-day roster. I hope the NFL goes that route. I feel it would allow teams to build a DL rotation and keep the big boys fresh. That's why there are so many points in the 4th quarter. Not schematic. Big boys playing too much in the NFL and don't have the same pass rush. Would love to get a nice 8 man rotation going. Starting Nink-VW-Easley-Chandler. Maybe, a second unit of Chris Jones and Silver Slugger at DT. That edge rusher in Round 1 and the winner of a camp battle between Buchanan/Moore.

I mainly watched the Bama/Miss St game Saturday. A scouting report I thought accurate was Preston Smith. DE for Miss St. The guy on GBN who gave it thought he would be a good LDE in a 4-3. Very good vs the run and thought he'd go late second. If we went OL in the first, I'd be fine with him. Slide him inside in pass-rushing situations. Some quick dt's in Easley and him.

Mike Loyko just pointed out that Kentucky pumps out some extremely talented NFL quality ILBS in Woodyard, Trevathan, and now Williamson, I love current Kentucky JR ILB Josh Forrest's play this year, particularly against UF, SC, LSU, UGA, Missouri, and most recently Tenn. where he had 20 tackles. He's very athletic and well sized (6'3", 236 with solid speed and can see him in a number of roles in the NFL. He's only a JR but if he does enter I'd love to take him now or in '16, looks like great prospect

This '15 class looks to be loaded with pass rushers and deep in RBs and CBs, NE definitely needs a pass rusher and maybe an RB so we're in luck, two very deep draft classes after a miserable one in '13

I have a lot of players I like in this draft, but still think there is huge value in the second round of this draft.

I am hoping bb trades out of the first and we try to add more second round picks.

I have Calhoun, McCarty, yeldon, and cann as being great second round value.

Frank Clark has been dismissed from the Michigan program. What a waste.

No kidding. UDFA.

Reportedly he was arrested for possible domestic violence last week, preceding his release:

According to Andy Ouriel of the Sandusky Register, Clark was jailed early Sunday morning on a domestic violence offense after allegedly attacking his girlfriend in a hotel room. Clark, who was jailed without bond throughout the weekend, also received an additional assault charge later Sunday.

Clark’s girlfriend, according to the police report obtained by the Register, “told Perkins police Officer Martin Curran how he allegedly punched her in the face, breaking a hotel room lamp as she fell. The victim's brother, who'd just emerged from the hotel room shower at the time, reportedly saw Clark grab the victim by her neck and slam her to the ground.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...5-updated-prospect-radar-post-week-11/page/11

Also:

This is also not the first time Clark has been linked to a crime. In 2012, Clark pleaded guilty to a charge of felony second-degree home invasion after stealing a laptop computer from a campus dormitory, according to Kyle Meinke of MLive.com.

5 bucks the Bengals draft him.

From Matt Miller's stock up/down report:

Stock Up: Cameron Erving, C/OT, Florida St., Sr.

Should he continue to show the ability to play center that he did on Saturday night, the move to the middle could be a much-needed boost to a draft stock that had been declining.

Projected as one of the 2015 draft’s top offensive tackle prospects coming into the year, Erving’s senior season had not been living up to the hype. He struggled on the edge against top pass-rushers, like Clemson’s Vic Beasley and Notre Dame’s Sheldon Day, leaving reason to question whether Erving is actually capable of playing outside in the NFL.

That said, the 2013 second-team AP All-American is an intriguing physical specimen, an impressive athlete at 6’6” and 308 pounds, who has promising upside and has shown the ability to be an impactful blocker. If he can establish his versatility to play both inside and outside, his stock will gain back at least some of what it has lost.

Erving looked very good as a run-blocker on Saturday, showing his ability to turn out on defenders and open some significant holes in the middle of the line, while he did not allow much pressure up the middle. He was off the mark on a few of his shotgun snaps, but that’s to be expected of a player making his first career start at center.

The move to center from left tackle is an unusual one, but it has been done before; doing so at Oregon helped Max Unger become a second-round pick in the 2009 NFL draft, and he has been one of the NFL’s best centers for the Seattle Seahawks ever since.

That’s not to say that Erving’s future necessarily should be at center, but regardless of whether NFL teams believe Erving is best suited to play tackle, center or even guard, his ability to play both outside and in the middle should increase his value.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...5-updated-prospect-radar-post-week-11/page/10

I still think Erving's best position is LG. He could end up a 5 position lineman, with good upside. TJ Clemmings has become what I had hoped Erving would be, but I'd still be happy to snag him on day 2.

I have not looked a lot at actual prospects as much as just needs but here are my thoughts. Once I look at players more closely which I will in the off season I'll have a better idea of who specific I want for sure.

We didn't have a lot of spots open last year and have less this year. I want to move up. Also people here probably know last year I was willing to trade a future pick for a good player. This year I am even more willing provided a guy falls that is worth it. I am willing for them to trade a 3rd or even 2nd to move up but I want instant impact particularly on the DL somewhere and particularly for the pass rush.

Dante Fowler looks versatile and like a play maker
Alvin Dupree seems like an option too

Guys will move up and down as we learn more but I want to get a top guy whoever it is.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back