PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

7.75 is a bit high. But, he's earned it IMO. RT is really just as important as LT. Teams move pass-rushers around. And, we spend next to nothing on our interior OL. I'd bring him back for that. SeaBass made John Clayton's mid-season all-pro team. Not that it means much. But, he's playing well.

But if his 7.75 m makes it harder to bring back Revis, McCourty, Gostkowski and sign Chandler Jones and Hightower to longer term deals? I'm a fan of Vollmer too but I think those five guys are much more important to the success of the team, particularly when they drafted Cameron Fleming anyway.

I don't know the financial ins and outs of whether re-signing those guys and paying Vollmer his dues are compatible, I'm just suggesting that looking at a potentially Volmer-free future is something that needs to be considered when talking about the future of the team.

Edit: I agree with you about RT being just as important as LT. Cameron Wake tends to play on the left side of the defense as does Von Miller. We don't want a slouch out there.

In his last article Miguel mentioned how we an easily shave 30m off next year's figure. Get Revis hit to 14m from 25m. About 4.5m carry-over. AHern recoup 3.5. Plus. a few other moves. You keep Revis and have plenty of room for other moves. Keeping McCourt, Vereen, Chung and a couple of other cheap vets. I'm 100x more concerned about RT than kicker.

In his last article Miguel mentioned how we an easily shave 30m off next year's figure. Get Revis hit to 14m from 25m. About 4.5m carry-over. AHern recoup 3.5. Plus. a few other moves. You keep Revis and have plenty of room for other moves. Keeping McCourt, Vereen, Chung and a couple of other cheap vets. I'm 100x more concerned about RT than kicker.

That's interesting because I'm a 100x more concerned about retaining one of the best kickers in the league rather than a RT for whom we have a replacement in place. I obviously bow to Miguel's expertise, if Vollmer's 7.75 m is not a problem then I'm very happy with that. We shall see.

Calling Fleming a replacement in place is quite a stretch. BB let Vinatieri walk and thought he could replace him with a kid. He did quite successfully. I'm sure he could do the same now. He took some heat for letting Zoltan Metsko walk and replacing him with Allen. Nobody's complaining now. There are literally good kickers and punters all over the place.

Calling Fleming a replacement in place is quite a stretch. BB let Vinatieri walk and thought he could replace him with a kid. He did quite successfully. I'm sure he could do the same now. He took some heat for letting Zoltan Metsko walk and replacing him with Allen. Nobody's complaining now. There are literally good kickers and punters all over the place.

Tell that to the Broncos.

Gostkowski isn't just a good kicker, he's an exceptional one. Relaxing Vinatieri with Gostkowski was one of BB's most impressive, and most unheralded, achievements in my opinion.

So, what position does the following prospect play?

Here he is on the punt team:

Punt.png

Playing defensive back:

DB.png

Wide receiver:

WR.png

Here he is playing LOLB. Note where he starts the play:

Play start.png

And here he is making the tackle to end the play:

Tackle.png

(He's the player in white nearest the bottom sideline).

That's some flexibility on display. Who's the prospect?

Some More:

Blocking a kick

Blocking A kick.png

I also had one of him in coverage and another high pointing a TD catch whilst double covered but the site wouldn't let me upload them..

Just some more clues.

• He is listed at 260lbs on his schools website
  • He had two interceptions last year (in one game)
  • He has three receiving TDs
  • In the last two full years he has 29.5 tackles for loss
  • In his college career he has 18.5 sacks.

So who is it?

Some useful context and speculation on Tevin Coleman's potential stock in the following two articles including Darren McFadden comparison (not the first one I've seen). Both are worth a read on a RB still not getting the credit he deserves.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...evin-coleman-draws-darren-mcfadden-comparison

http://firstroundgrade.com/2014/11/07/is-tevin-coleman-a-first-round-running-back/

He's an athlete:

Coleman, who was one of the best 100-meter sprinters and long-jumpers in Illinois when he was in high school in the Chicago area,

if your penchant is for the Geno Atkins/Aaron Donald/Dom Easley/Will Sutton undersized penetrating defensive lineman then you may want to take a look at Andre Monroe from Maryland. The first important thing to say that he's even smaller than they are at 5'11" and 286lbs and that sub 6' measurement may be too much of a red flag but bear this in mind. Last season he had 17 tfl and 9.5 sacks whilst he has 8 sacks so far this year and if you watch him on tape, he has Easley like quickness at the snap with the strength to beat linemen one on one.

In the below video you see him go up against Brandon Scherff quite a lot, he beats Scherff quite a bit and I recommend watching the whole thing (you are looking for Maryland's no 93 who plays mainly at RDE. But I specifically want you to see him destroy Scherff at 8:05.

I have him beating Scherff four times for sacks or QB hurries in that game.

You can see his skills in this video too

His quickness is fantastic. Will Sutton with Easley's quickness is a nice comparison. The only question is how he fits at that size.

if your penchant is for the Geno Atkins/Aaron Donald/Dom Easley/Will Sutton undersized penetrating defensive lineman then you may want to take a look at Andre Monroe from Maryland. The first important thing to say that he's even smaller than they are at 5'11" and 286lbs and that sub 6' measurement may be too much of a red flag but bear this in mind. Last season he had 17 tfl and 9.5 sacks whilst he has 8 sacks so far this year and if you watch him on tape, he has Easley like quickness at the snap with the strength to beat linemen one on one.

In the below video you see him go up against Brandon Scherff quite a lot, he beats Scherff quite a bit and I recommend watching the whole thing (you are looking for Maryland's no 93 who plays mainly at RDE. But I specifically want you to see him destroy Scherff at 8:05.

I have him beating Scherff four times for sacks or QB hurries in that game.

You can see his skills in this video too

His quickness is fantastic. Will Sutton with Easley's quickness is a nice comparison. The only question is how he fits at that size.

Just noticed that in the whole of the FBS, Monroe is 5th in terms of sacks per game with only Bosa, Gregory, Kikana and Shane Ray ahead of him. That's some company. Only three FBS players have more career sacks than Monroe.

http://stats.ncaa.org/active_career_leaders/view_rankings/221119

Maxx Williams will be a first rounder if he declares. Early second at worst.

Amari cooper is a dang special WR. He is gonna have to single handedly win the Bama lsu game. Just tied it up

Two more names that intrigue me and that were getting good reviews on twitter last night:

1. Devontae Booker, RB, Utah (Jnr)

5'11, 203lbs. A RB in the Vereen mould with reportedly excellent hands. Speed might be an issues, NFL Draft Scout list his low forty at 4.50. A name to consider if Vereen doesn't come back.

2. Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State

6'4, 298lbs,. An athletic 5-tech type with good COD skills that allegedly runs a 4.7.

Just noticed that in the whole of the FBS, Monroe is 5th in terms of sacks per game with only Bosa, Gregory, Kikana and Shane Ray ahead of him. That's some company. Only three FBS players have more career sacks than Monroe.

http://stats.ncaa.org/active_career_leaders/view_rankings/221119

Frank Clark from Michigan is an under-sized dt who has always caught my eye. Poor man's John Randle. They list him at 6'2" 270lb. Looks a tad heavier this year but still pretty explosive. Him and Easley could provide a pretty good interior pass rush as they develop. Don't think he's a 3-down lineman in our system. But, would be ideal in a rotation against a passing team.

On a side rant. I hope the NFL allows all 53 players to be active next year. They keep changing the rules to help the offense. I think a deep DL that would allow you to rotate 8 guys would help those defenses that are routinely gassed in the 4th quarter. Just my .02

Frank Clark from Michigan is an under-sized dt who has always caught my eye. Poor man's John Randle. They list him at 6'2" 270lb. Looks a tad heavier this year but still pretty explosive. Him and Easley could provide a pretty good interior pass rush as they develop. Don't think he's a 3-down lineman in our system. But, would be ideal in a rotation against a passing team.

On a side rant. I hope the NFL allows all 53 players to be active next year. They keep changing the rules to help the offense. I think a deep DL that would allow you to rotate 8 guys would help those defenses that are routinely gassed in the 4th quarter. Just my .02

Interesting that you think Clark is a DT because I think he's more a Ninkovich type guy, i.e., a LDE in a 4 man front that can play occasional 3-4 OLB. At the start of the season we were playing three man fronts where either Ninkovich or Chandler Jones would alternate standing up or going to a three point stance depending upon where the strength of the offence was. We also saw Zach Moore being used in that way in pre-season. Being a DE in that kind of defense is where I see Clark fitting best. Nice player though.

Interesting that you think Clark is a DT because I think he's more a Ninkovich type guy, i.e., a LDE in a 4 man front that can play occasional 3-4 OLB. At the start of the season we were playing three man fronts where either Ninkovich or Chandler Jones would alternate standing up or going to a three point stance depending upon where the strength of the offence was. We also saw Zach Moore being used in that way in pre-season. Being a DE in that kind of defense is where I see Clark fitting best. Nice player though.

He could be used in that type of role. Not sure where he fits in a NFL defense. I think he'd be good in a rotation. He was actually recruited as a safety. Maybe, if his arms are long enough we'll draft him for that role.

He could be used in that type of role. Not sure where he fits in a NFL defense. I think he'd be good in a rotation. He was actually recruited as a safety. Maybe, if his arms are long enough we'll draft him for that role.

Ninkovich has 31" arms. I like Clark but as you note, he's borderline for the prototype.

The NFP's Greg Gabriel on Shilique Calhoun:

Calhoun is a fourth-year junior and two-year starter for the Spartans. He redshirted his true freshman year in 2011 and played as a backup in 2012. He has been a starter at the wide side defensive end position the past two seasons.

Calhoun has been a productive player for Michigan State, with 37 total tackles and 7.5 sacks in 2013. This year through eight games he has 25 total tackles and six sacks. With Michigan State winning most of their games by a wide margin this season, Calhoun hasn’t been seeing a lot of action late in contests.

Calhoun has adequate defensive end size. He is listed at being 6050 – 256, but looks a little heavier. He has long arms and good lower body bulk. As an athlete, he possesses good quickness, play speed, balance and change of direction. His estimated play speed is in the 4.8 range. Calhoun has very good snap reaction to go along with a good first step. He consistently stays low out of his stance and does a good job not exposing his body. He has strength and balance and is almost never off his feet.

Calhoun is a smart, alert and instinctive player. He has quick reactions and is around the ball. He plays sound assignment football and you seldom see him out of position. In addition, Calhoun is very disciplined in his play. When playing read option teams you often see defensive ends lose containment and give up outside plays, but that is not the case with Calhoun.

The one thing I like about Calhoun’s play is that he is a consistent competitor. You don’t see any “loaf” downs and he plays an aggressive brand of football.

He is a consistent run defender who can use his hands to shed blocks, hold the point and get to the ball. While he isn’t as explosive as some rushing the passer, Calhoun is quick off the ball, uses his hands well to shed and is able to put counter moves together. He has a good burst to the quarterback off of blocks.

With Michigan State’s complex defense, you will see Calhoun drop into coverage at times and he shows that he can handle coverage in the short zone areas.

Overall, I see Calhoun’s best fit as a 4-3 right end at the next level. Many of the 3-4 clubs will work him out as an outside linebacker and if he proves to be athletic enough to play on his feet, it will increase his value for those clubs.

Right now I see Calhoun as having the potential to be drafted as high as the later part of the first round.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-prospect-focus-Shilique-Calhoun-Leonard-Williams.html

Calhoun isn't a lock to come out this year, but he's a bit of a "sleeper" in the 1st round right now. He doesn't have the freakish athleticism of Shawn Oakman or the athleticism of Shane Ray or Bud Dupree, or quite the versatility of Dante Fowler or Dupree, but he's a fundamentally sound player who has the discipline and versatility to thrive in a BB defense. He would be a reasonable consolation prize in the late 1st round if the other 3 guys mentioned are long gone.

The NFP's Greg Gabriel on Shilique Calhoun:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-prospect-focus-Shilique-Calhoun-Leonard-Williams.html

Calhoun isn't a lock to come out this year, but he's a bit of a "sleeper" in the 1st round right now. He doesn't have the freakish athleticism of Shawn Oakman or the athleticism of Shane Ray or Bud Dupree, or quite the versatility of Dante Fowler or Dupree, but he's a fundamentally sound player who has the discipline and versatility to thrive in a BB defense. He would be a reasonable consolation prize in the late 1st round if the other 3 guys mentioned are long gone.
He's the guy I want for us at #32, huge fan, incredible athlete

He's the guy I want for us at #32, huge fan, incredible athlete

I have him behind Shawn Oakman, Bud Dupree and Dante Fowler, but I think he's worth a late 1st. He's capable of playing in base or sub, capable of playing DE or OLB. He's fundamentally sound, able to set the edge, able to drop into zone coverage. And he's always around the football. Just a very, very good player. I could see him being a much more athletic Ninkovich, and a 10 year starter.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back