PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

Getting my first real good look at TJ Clemmings. He is not going to be there for us in the 2nd round and I'm not convinced he'll be there for us in the first round. In fact, I'm starting to think we might have a better shot at Scherff than Clemmings. Clemmings is very good in space, a dominating run blocker and he's an outstanding physical specimen. Scherff is the finished product but Clemmings has so much upside. I really can see him climbing into the top half of the first round. The one note of caution is that he's going up against Duke so there is a competition level question.

The other thing I would consider with Clemmings is that he plays right tackle, not left. While teams are valuing RT more and more, I think it's less likely that he would make a huge leap without prior experience at LT. DJ Fluker comes to mind as one RT drafted quite high, but I think he was the exception. Cedric Ogbuehi is showing this year that having elite athleticism doesn't necessarily mean that a move from RT to LT will come easily.

It will be interesting to see how much of a factor that turns out to be.

I wouldn't write him off as a future LT. And don't forget Lane Johnson who was drafted as a RT. I can see him going in the 10-20 range. Kyle Long is a good comp for Clemmings.

I wouldn't write him off as a future LT. And don't forget Lane Johnson who was drafted as a RT. I can see him going in the 10-20 range. Kyle Long is a good comp for Clemmings.

I don't mean at all that Clemmings should be written off as a future LT. Just that teams generally prefer projected LTs to have experience at the position. Jake Matthews stayed for his senior year to switch from RT to LT, and so did Cedric Ogbuehi. Clemmings is a senior, and has never played LT, to the best of my knowledge. Lane Johnson played LT most of his senior year. Other than DJ Fluker, I can't think of another top 15 pick tackle who never played on the left side. Not to say that you may not be completely right, but I could see it being a small factor. I agree that Chris Long is a good comp for Clemmings.

What's Sammy Coates,for auburn, draft projection?

Ole miss Wr treadwell will be an interesting wr to follow. He just blew his whole left ankle out. If he was gonna be taken in the draft, he just took a major dive in draft stock

Ole miss Wr treadwell will be an interesting wr to follow. He just blew his whole left ankle out. If he was gonna be taken in the draft, he just took a major dive in draft stock

I don't think he's draft eligible in 2015. He will be a true junior next year, and will have a lot of time to get healthy. He's a very talented WR, and hopefully will make a full recovery.

I don't think he's draft eligible in 2015. He will be a true junior next year, and will have a lot of time to get healthy. He's a very talented WR, and hopefully will make a full recovery.

Wasn't sure, but he will be someone to watch. The injury was really bad

My binky, Auburn RB Cameron Artis-Payne came up big again. The time 27 rushes for 138 yds against Ole Miss' landshark defense.

The guy I see rising up draft boards is Ellis McCarthy of ucla.

Mel Kiper has Shane Ray at 4 in his latest big board. I'm a huge fan of Ray but I think that's a little high. Top 15 grade for me. Others of note include both Oklahoma OTs making it into the top 32 along with Clemmings (28) but Bud Dupree doesn't make it. Danny Shelton is at 15 and Dante Fowler(17) and Andrus Peat *(20) are slipping into tradeable range. Melvin Gordon is up to 13 and Abdullah sneaks into the back of the top 32 at 31.

Mel Kiper has Shane Ray at 4 in his latest big board. I'm a huge fan of Ray but I think that's a little high. Top 15 grade for me. Others of note include both Oklahoma OTs making it into the top 32 along with Clemmings (28) but Bud Dupree doesn't make it. Danny Shelton is at 15 and Dante Fowler(17) and Andrus Peat *(20) are slipping into tradeable range. Melvin Gordon is up to 13 and Abdullah sneaks into the back of the top 32 at 31.

The good news for the Pats is that this draft is very, very deep at their 3 biggest positions of need: DL, OL, and RB, including (as always, depending on the junior declarations):

- DL: Leonard Williams, Randy Gregory, Shawn Oakman, Shane Ray, Dante Fowler, Shilique Calhoun, Alvin Dupree, Vic Beasley, Arik Armstead, Lorenzo Mauldin, Markus Goldston, Hauoli Kikaha, Mario Edwards, Eddie Goldman, Danny Shelton, Michael Bennett, Ellis McCarthy, Carl Davis
- OL: Cedric Ogbuehi, Brandon Scherff, Andrus Peat, Landon Collins, Spencer Drango, Ty Sambrailo, TJ Clemmings, Cam Erving, Jake Fisher, Eric Flowers, AJ Cann, Josue Matias, Arie Kouandjio, Laken Tomlinson
- RB: Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Ameer Abdullah, TJ Yeldon, Mike Davis, Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi, Karlos Williams, Jeremy Langford, Josh Robinson

The rankings will be all over the place, and will go up and down between now and the draft. But I think there's a good chance that BB can find 3 solid talents from that group.

Marcus Peters has been dismissed by Washington apparently. Should almost certainly have an adverse affect on his stock although I'm not sure why yet. with Josh Shaw, it's a good year not to be in on a CB (cough...sign Revis BB...cough)

Brady6 did a mock recently which included Norfolk DE/OLB Lynden Trail in the 4th round. Dane Brugler had a nice writeup on Trail recently:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...y-three-sleeper-norfolk-state-de-lynden-trail

6'6" 260#. Has played DE and 3-4 OLB. Former basketball player. Former Urban Meyer recruit to Florida (same class as Dominique Easley). Intriguing day 3 prospect.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...t-prospect-thread.1065632/page-3#post-3844679

:)

I know Shane Ray is all the buzz right now, and for good reason, but in true BB fashion, I could see the Patriots liking his counterpart Markus Golden maybe even better.

I know Shane Ray is all the buzz right now, and for good reason, but in true BB fashion, I could see the Patriots liking his counterpart Markus Golden maybe even better.

I love Ray but I'm under no illusions about the fact that he's not a great fit for what BB wants. I've yet to properly watch Golden. i'm not sure the Missouri defence is a great apprenticeship for the Patriots.

Could this be why Cameron Fleming was drafted?

Via Miguel

Vollmer certainly wants the end of Cannon rotation to continue. 90% PT in 2014 increases his cap no from 3.75m in 2014 to 7.75m next yr

I don't know if Vollmer is cuttable but with all the other potential contract commitments we're hoping for (Revis etc), an 8m cap commitment to a RT doesn't seem all that helpful.

https://twitter.com/patscap/status/530689575740780545

Could this be why Cameron Fleming was drafted?

Via Miguel

I don't know if Vollmer is cuttable but with all the other potential contract commitments we're hoping for (Revis etc), an 8m cap commitment to a RT doesn't seem all that helpful.

https://twitter.com/patscap/status/530689575740780545

7.75 is a bit high. But, he's earned it IMO. RT is really just as important as LT. Teams move pass-rushers around. And, we spend next to nothing on our interior OL. I'd bring him back for that. SeaBass made John Clayton's mid-season all-pro team. Not that it means much. But, he's playing well.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back