PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 draft priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
A weaker ND defense matters because football is a team sport, and especially on the defensive line where each members play is dependent on those around him. A NT in particular can only be effective if those guys around him that he facilitates for make plays. A perfect example is the National Title game. A lot of people were down on Nix because Alabama ran all over the ND defense but that had nothing to do with Nix's individual play.
What a load of crap. Alabama's center Barrett Jones neutralized Louis Nix one-on-one while playing with torn ligaments in his left foot that required surgery after the BCS title game.

Barrett Jones owned Louis Nix. Cyrus Kouandjio owned Stephon Tuitt.

Nix is nit even that good. Its a weak dt class and we shouldnt be drafting one very high just to say we got a 330 poung guy.

What a load of crap. Alabama's center Barrett Jones neutralized Louis Nix one-on-one while playing with torn ligaments in his left foot that required surgery after the BCS title game.

I guess we are gonna have to agree to disagree. What I saw was a guy that consistently knocked Jones a yard or two off the line on almost every play he came forward, Alabama just had a smart game plan and ran everything away from him.

Louis Nix III vs Alabama

If that is being neutralized one-on-one then I would hate to see a DT actually win a matchup. Alabama ran about 3 plays through the A gap in the first half, one of which was a TFL and two short gains. I would say Nix had a very good game on a defense that played very poorly and by the end the entire defense was worn down. And I am an Alabama fan and was probably Barrett Jones biggest supporter on here, but Nix did very well against him.

Freaks List: The 20 craziest athletes in college football - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings

10. Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State, DT: A 2012 First Team All-Sun Belt Conference player, Carrethers certainly seems like he could be a force at any league in college football. The redshirt senior, who will be playing for his fourth head coach this fall, isn't just some sloppy, bad-body guy. His 16 percent body fat for a guy measuring in at 6-2, 332 is impressive. As are his 400-pound power clean, his 664-pound squat and 400-pound incline bench press.

"Ryan was a state champion heavyweight wrestler in Tennessee his senior year, which has translated to him being a fantastic defensive lineman that has started for three years on the championship Red Wolves teams," said Jeff Pitman, Arkansas State's strength coach. "Ryan can more than hang with former all freak team members I have coached. Examples are Daryn Colledge at Boise State and Nate Solder at the University of Colorado. Both [players] have had great NFL careers."

11. Travis Swanson, Arkansas, center: Arguably the nation's top center, the 320-pound Swanson has already wowed the new Razorbacks coaching staff. Swanson has been clocked by the Hogs staff in the three-cone drill at 7.39 seconds. (Former Texas A&M star Luke Joeckel, the second pick in April's draft, ran it in 7.40 while Eric Fisher, the first overall pick, did it in 7.59 seconds.) "His movement ability is second only to (Cleveland Browns All-Pro left tackle) Joe Thomas out of linemen that I have worked with in the last 12 years," said strength coach Ben Herbert, who came over from Wisconsin.

Bama is the one school i would keep my hands off really, unless Saban tells he best friend Belichick to pick a player. Reason is simple, they have to many good ppl, so you have no clue what so ever, how good they really is, because the players makes eachother even better....

At the same time they can also make sure ALL other schools good players becomeing neutraliest, so UNLESS its vs Bama and it's good, keep them out of the piqture. Vs ND they had to keep check on Nix/Trutt and rest would win easy.

I do think BB should have used the 4 round pick last year on Barrett Jones instead of Boyce, but thats another story.

I do think BB should have used the 4 round pick last year on Barrett Jones instead of Boyce, but thats another story.
Or Alabama nose tackle Josh Chapman instead of Arkansas defensive end Jake "no load" Bequette the previous draft?

Bama is the one school i would keep my hands off really, unless Saban tells he best friend Belichick to pick a player. Reason is simple, they have to many good ppl, so you have no clue what so ever, how good they really is, because the players makes eachother even better....

At the same time they can also make sure ALL other schools good players becomeing neutraliest, so UNLESS its vs Bama and it's good, keep them out of the piqture. Vs ND they had to keep check on Nix/Trutt and rest would win easy.

I think another reason to be weary of Alabama players is they are so well coached that they are much closer to their ceiling than most college players. While most draft prospects have a lot of projection left in them, Alabama players are more pro ready, more polished but perhaps lack the upside of some other players. There are exceptions of course but in general I think they are more of what you see is what you get. I think you also have to take into consideration the wear and tear of playing an SEC schedule. They are certainly battle tested but have a lot more miles on them than most other schools.

Or Alabama nose tackle Josh Chapman instead of Arkansas defensive end Jake "no load" Bequette the previous draft?

I completely agree about Chapman and Jones. I think there are some parallels between the two, both being quite highly regarded before injury knocked them down the board. Its a shame because they are both high quality players, I would have liked to have seen them get a start to their NFL careers without those setbacks.

I think our defense leaves much to be desired. I think we need 2 ‘punch in the mouth’ safeties, as Gregory, McCourty, and Wilson, are not providing the answer in my opinion. A good corner on par with Talib is a must too. Dennard showed some flashes, but other times, he showed he can be beat, I can give him some slack through, as he is showing improvement with time. Harmon is a waste.

As for as linebackers go…. Spikes must go. Atrocious in coverage, and with Mayo injured, we will need at least an ILB to replace Spikes, and maybe another one as insurance.

I think we also need a pass rusher in rotation. Carter’s signing is nice, but he is showing his age. In the two games he played thus far, I’ve yet to be impressed with his performance.

Our D-line is showing some promising flashes. Wilfork, may or may not be back next year, and Kelly is an aging horse (injured now to boot). Vellano and Jones are good tackles, but I think they lack the size to stuff o-lines up the middle (though have great ability to rush the passer from the inside). I was really hoping to see Armstead in the mix, but at this point I’m not sure what the deal with him is.

On offense, we could use another TE, and a good big WR (still not sure what to make of Dobson and KT, they have both showed flashes, but overall are average).Maybe Harrison will be the answer we’ve been looking for. I think we’re covered in the slot with Amendola and Edelman. And of course another lineman or two might be in need too (though I believe our O-line as it stands is pretty good with some coaching.

Yeah ... keep dreaming. Nix won't fall into the twenties let alone if he even decides to declare early for the 2014 NFL Draft.

I've gotta disagree with you on Nix, I think there is a pretty good chance he will at least be in range of a reasonable trade up in the 1st round. I've said all along I think he will fall because NT just isn't a sexy position and Nix isn't a guy like Dontari Poe that is gonna blow up the combine. Add in the fact that he has missed two games this season with knee tendinitis and will likely have surgery after the season which could interrupt his draft preparation and I think there is a good chance he will fall to the 20's. He has already fallen to #14 on the NFL Draft Scout Rankings, #25 on Rob Rang's Big Board and he doesn't even have him in the 1st round of his mock draft. Now I'm not saying he isn't deserving of a top 10 pick because I would certainly take him there, but the value of a NT in today's NFL could push him down to the end of the 1st round.

See Jonathan Hankins. He was still being talked of as a first rounder this time last year. If a DT doesn't regularly threaten the QB, then the first round will always be a stretch.

Ryan Wendell will be an unrestricted free agent in calendar year 2014.

Who is the New England Patriots dedicated backup center currently on the 53 man roster?

It's one thing to double dip at a position where there are two or more on the field at a time; that's not the case with a center. The backup should be able to play both guard and center (e.g., Wendell, Connolly).

I think our defense leaves much to be desired. I think we need 2 ‘punch in the mouth’ safeties, as Gregory, McCourty, and Wilson, are not providing the answer in my opinion. A good corner on par with Talib is a must too. Dennard showed some flashes, but other times, he showed he can be beat, I can give him some slack through, as he is showing improvement with time. Harmon is a waste.

As for as linebackers go…. Spikes must go. Atrocious in coverage, and with Mayo injured, we will need at least an ILB to replace Spikes, and maybe another one as insurance.

I think we also need a pass rusher in rotation. Carter’s signing is nice, but he is showing his age. In the two games he played thus far, I’ve yet to be impressed with his performance.

Our D-line is showing some promising flashes. Wilfork, may or may not be back next year, and Kelly is an aging horse (injured now to boot). Vellano and Jones are good tackles, but I think they lack the size to stuff o-lines up the middle (though have great ability to rush the passer from the inside). I was really hoping to see Armstead in the mix, but at this point I’m not sure what the deal with him is.

On offense, we could use another TE, and a good big WR (still not sure what to make of Dobson and KT, they have both showed flashes, but overall are average).Maybe Harrison will be the answer we’ve been looking for. I think we’re covered in the slot with Amendola and Edelman. And of course another lineman or two might be in need too (though I believe our O-line as it stands is pretty good with some coaching.

Aside from running backs, a pair of tackles, 2 new guards, kickers, a holder, a gunner, coaches, new owners and a new stadium this pretty much covers it. Great post, as usual.

You know, if it weren't for their atrocious 0-9 record i would disagree, but given their losing ways you and Deus have it 100% right, this is a "pitiful roster," just loaded with losers who can't play and a coach/GM who can't pick talent anywhere near as well as the posters on a local messageboard. just pathetic, what a loser organization. Thank God there are clearheaded fans like you guys who can see through the rose colored windows surrounding this team to the truth of just how pathetic they really are.

I'm going to assume Talib leaves us, I see our needs as:

1. CB
2. TE
3. SS
4. C
5. LB (coverage)
6. DE
7. Versatile OL

As people have said, with the emergence of the young DT's Jones/Vellano and the signing of Sop we are looking great at that position once Vince, Kelly and Armstead are healthy, I just don't see it as a need. We need a two headed monster again at TE so I'm happy if we take one in the first

It's one thing to double dip at a position where there are two or more on the field at a time; that's not the case with a center. The backup should be able to play both guard and center (e.g., Wendell, Connolly).
With two sixth round draft picks and most likely another two sixth round compensatory draft picks in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots could certainly afford to select another center in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

One factor to consider when setting draft priorities is upcoming Patriots free agents. While impossible to predict who will be re-signed, and who the Patriots sign, it's what is know now.

Starters/(key back-ups)
QB (open third/developmental)
RB (blount, washington)
WR (edelman)
TE HoomanawanuiOT
OG (open third)
OC Wendell
DT (aging three top/high salaries)
DE (carter)
LB Spikes (fletcher, ST'ers)
CB Talib (cole)
S

So, a minimum of four key slots:
#1 CB
LB
#2 TE
OC

On LB, it is possible Collins, the top draft pick, can develop into a starting OLB and Hightower can take Spikes' role. Collins, with opportunity in Mayo's absence, has shown little so far.
On TE, Belichick has long tried to build a versatile two-TE offense, and every reason to think he will address this as a priority in the offseason.

Beyond that, the team features aging starters at QB and DT which need to be addressed.

Some of these roles will be addressed in free agency, either internally or externally. Prior to that, the top priorities are:

1) #1 CB
2) Starting C (or interior OL, sliding Connolly)
3) #2 TE
4) Rotational DT, future starter
5) Starting LB
6) Future starting QB

Hopefully several can be addressed in free agency - which will require some restructuring to open sufficient space.
Because there is no chance you can find a future starting QB in the sixth round.

Aside from running backs, a pair of tackles, 2 new guards, kickers, a holder, a gunner, coaches, new owners and a new stadium this pretty much covers it. Great post, as usual.

You know, if it weren't for their atrocious 0-9 record i would disagree, but given their losing ways you and Deus have it 100% right, this is a "pitiful roster," just loaded with losers who can't play and a coach/GM who can't pick talent anywhere near as well as the posters on a local messageboard. just pathetic, what a loser organization. Thank God there are clearheaded fans like you guys who can see through the rose colored windows surrounding this team to the truth of just how pathetic they really are.

I think this forum needs a full time reading teacher, as it’s clear some of the members here lack basic English comprehension.

This thread is about draft PRIORITIES, and so I addressed the needs in a PRIORITISED manner. Aside from Spikes, nowhere did I say that every player I mentioned needs to go.

tumblr_mqf1dogBDZ1rzd6w3o1_400.gif

************, can’t believe I’m addressing other clowns’ inability to comprehend basic English. :violent:

With two sixth round draft picks and most likely another two sixth round compensatory draft picks in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots could certainly afford to select another center in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

What about Matt Stinky-Witch? He's still on the roster.

What about Matt Stinky-Witch? He's still on the roster.

Practice Squad, but regardless he is a student currently enrolled in the Dante Scarnecchia Academy of Offensive Line Arts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft