PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 draft priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st round - DT
Wilfork and Tommy Kelly are old and coming off season ending injuries. Sopoaga is also old. Chris Jones and Vellano have filled in well, but we need a stud DT for the future.

2nd round - TE
To fill in Hernandez role, and also as insurance for when Gronkowski gets injured again. I'm not sure if Gronks playing style will lead to a long career.

3rd round - CB
Another CB to groom incase Talib departs after we Franchise him in 2014.

4th round - OG/C
We can get better in this area. Depth always needed too.

Only WR I like in the 1st round that will be around when we pick is possibly Marqise Lee. Other than that, I don't think we should touch WR. Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, possibly Edelman again next year. The group is growing and getting better. Don't draft another WR unless its a steal like Marqise Lee would be in the late 1st rd.

I'm curious why DTs are on everyones priority list if we are potentially bringing back:

Wilfork
Kelly
Sopoaga
Chris Jones
Armstead
Vellano
Forston

It appears to be among the deepest and best units on the team when everyone is healthy.

That's the problem though....

They aren't healthy. The 2 best players on that list are in their 30's and are out with season ending injuries. We don't know if they will ever come back and be the same players they were before their injuries. Even if they do come back perfectly fine, they're both at the end of their careers so drafting a young DT to groom behind them for a year or two makes sense.

Armstead... we don't know if he'll ever play a snap for us. He missed training camp and still isn't practicing.

Forston has been kicking around the practice squad and just recently made the roster.

Well BB traded down our 1st this year, but in a draft that deep like this last one, with our first pick being the #52, I would like to see a player contributing right now. I'm not really optimistic with this Jamie Collins pick, I think he will be in the same basket as Bequete, Chung, Wilson, Brace...Ras Island was promissing, I understand it was a situation that can happen once in a while with players that can't handle the stress NFL puts on their bodies.

I'm wondering if we won't truly see Collins' potential until next year, as opposed to this rookie season which seems to be a slow blending of more opportunites and responsibilities as the season progesses?

That has certainly been the case with plenty of our first picks, particularly at positions that require good knowlege of the entire scheme and may be more complicated than others. I am viewing Collins' position and situation that way myself, although I very well may be wrong in doing so.

If we assume that the odds of Spikes staying may be closer to bad than good, then we may see Collins taking over the strong side role next season with Hightower in the middle and Mayo at weakside. Either way, I'm expecting Collins to take until next year before we really get a good enough look at him. Again, it's possible that I am incorrect and he is just not playing as well as they had hoped at this point, but it's terribly early--especially at the position of LB on a Belichick coached team. We saw Spikes take awhile to get rolling, and even Hightower probably still hasn't shown us everything that he's capable of through 1 1/2 yrs so far.

I think early is TE and OG personally. Throw in a 1st and 2nd at those 2 picks and we could conceivably sure up the interior OL and get back to the 2 TE.

But in all honesty I'd like continual investment in the defense. In reality it is probably more pressing to take care of TB (by probably i mean definitely)
Completely disagree on the draft priorities. On offense, the New England Patriots draft priority is at center and a double dip is in order. I would not bother drafting a tight end until the fourth round. Furthermore, a quality center is more important to the offensive line than offensive guard.

As for the defense, if the New England Patriots are unable to re-sign Aqib Talib, then the number one overall draft priority for the New England Patriots is cornerback. A young run stuffing defensive tackle would the next priority if either Vince Wilfork is unable to adequately recover from Achilles tendon surgery or if Isaac Sopoaga becomes a salary cap casualty.

I would really like Louis Nix to last to the Patriots first draft pick at 32 in the draft. ;)
Yeah ... keep dreaming. Nix won't fall into the twenties let alone if he even decides to declare early for the 2014 NFL Draft.

Completely disagree on the draft priorities. On offense, the New England Patriots draft priority is at center and a double dip is in order. I would not bother drafting a tight end until the fourth round. Furthermore, a quality center is more important to the offensive line than offensive guard.

As for the defense, if the New England Patriots are unable to re-sign Aqib Talib, then the number one overall draft priority for the New England Patriots is cornerback. A young run stuffing defensive tackle would the next priority if either Vince Wilfork is unable to adequately recover from Achilles tendon surgery or if Isaac Sopoaga becomes a salary cap casualty.

You think we should double dip at C? and are also happy with the TE depth of Gronk and Homanawanui? I am all for a center but history has generally shown good/serviceable centers can be found late in the draft.

I agree with you that if we lost Wilfork and Talib aren't resigned CB and DT could be needs but i guess these answers will be done in FA. In my scenario i am assuming the roster we have now.

Yeah ... keep dreaming. Nix won't fall into the twenties let alone if he even decides to declare early for the 2014 NFL Draft.

I've gotta disagree with you on Nix, I think there is a pretty good chance he will at least be in range of a reasonable trade up in the 1st round. I've said all along I think he will fall because NT just isn't a sexy position and Nix isn't a guy like Dontari Poe that is gonna blow up the combine. Add in the fact that he has missed two games this season with knee tendinitis and will likely have surgery after the season which could interrupt his draft preparation and I think there is a good chance he will fall to the 20's. He has already fallen to #14 on the NFL Draft Scout Rankings, #25 on Rob Rang's Big Board and he doesn't even have him in the 1st round of his mock draft. Now I'm not saying he isn't deserving of a top 10 pick because I would certainly take him there, but the value of a NT in today's NFL could push him down to the end of the 1st round.

You think we should double dip at C? and are also happy with the TE depth of Gronk and Homanawanui? I am all for a center but history has generally shown good/serviceable centers can be found late in the draft.
The New England Patriots drafted Aaron Hernandez in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. The New England Patriots can draft another tight end in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Arthur Lynch, TE - Georgia (overall draft rank #125)

The New England Patriots don't need a serviceable center, the New England Patriots need at least an above average center due to Brady's lack of mobility.

I agree with you that if we lost Wilfork and Talib aren't resigned CB and DT could be needs but i guess these answers will be done in FA. In my scenario i am assuming the roster we have now.
I love to know where in your scenario all of this salary cap space will come from.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2014 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Last updated on November 5, 2013 8:35 AM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2014 current commitment is for $116,009,410 with 52 players. I have the Patriots' 2014 dead money as $5,683,721. $116,009,410 + $5,683,721 = $121,783,131

C
DT
S
LB
TE
OT

impact player drops to you, take him
but those are the positions, in order, that i expect they will be looking to replace expensive (or just over-valued and expendable) veteran talent at.

I've gotta disagree with you on Nix, I think there is a pretty good chance he will at least be in range of a reasonable trade up in the 1st round. I've said all along I think he will fall because NT just isn't a sexy position and Nix isn't a guy like Dontari Poe that is gonna blow up the combine. Add in the fact that he has missed two games this season with knee tendinitis and will likely have surgery after the season which could interrupt his draft preparation and I think there is a good chance he will fall to the 20's.
If that's the case, Nix might not even declare for the 2014 NFL Draft if surgery is needed after the 2013 NCAA football season.

You think we should double dip at C?
Ryan Wendell will be an unrestricted free agent in calendar year 2014.

Who is the New England Patriots dedicated backup center currently on the 53 man roster?

If that's the case, Nix might not even declare for the 2014 NFL Draft if surgery is needed after the 2013 NCAA football season.

That is a possibility but its also quite a risk for him too. Would he be willing to give up the possibility of being a late 1st rounder and take the risk going back to school? Especially when he is already experiencing some injuries and will likely be playing on a much weaker ND defense. If he wants to go back to school for personal reasons I can completely understand, but to go back to improve your draft stock from a late 1st rounder to a mid-high 1st rounder I think is a mistake, because a year from now NT still won't be a coveted position in the draft. Also with the deadline to declare for the draft so long before the actual draft, so much can change in draft stock. He might still be considered a top 15 pick in January, but by draft day he could be a 2nd rounder. Draft stock is so volatile I don't know if that is something you would want to take a risk on.

That is a possibility but its also quite a risk for him too. Would he be willing to give up the possibility of being a late 1st rounder and take the risk going back to school? Especially when he is already experiencing some injuries and will likely be playing on a much weaker ND defense. If he wants to go back to school for personal reasons I can completely understand, but to go back to improve your draft stock from a late 1st rounder to a mid-high 1st rounder I think is a mistake, because a year from now NT still won't be a coveted position in the draft. Also with the deadline to declare for the draft so long before the actual draft, so much can change in draft stock. He might still be considered a top 15 pick in January, but by draft day he could be a 2nd rounder. Draft stock is so volatile I don't know if that is something you would want to take a risk on.
Tell that to tight end Jace Amaro who has already tweeted that he will return to Texas Tech for his senior season.

Tell that to tight end Jace Amaro who has already tweeted that he will return to Texas Tech for his senior season.

Its only November, he wouldn't be the first guy to change his mind. I'm sure if the NFL College Advisory Committee tells him that he is a likely 1st or 2nd rounder than I think he might re-think his situation. And if he has tweeted about it this early in the process then I'm sure him returning to school is much more about personal views that improving his draft stock.

The mistake would be to undergo knee surgery, miss the NFL combine, and declare for the NFL Draft in the same calendar year.

Who cares if he would be playing on a weaker ND defense next year? Prospects are graded upon individual performance not overall team performance.

Looking at it in another way: Its a passer League, where 2 out of 3 downs is pass - Do a team use a 1r pick on a 100% run stopping guy then? Even too we use Vince on alot of downs, Nix can't give you garantees he can be the same guy. Comeing out of college Vince was a much better player then Nix. Wouldn't it be better to get a Hageman/Trutt in the 1 round and get a NT in 3-4 round, IF we infact need, i doubt we gonna need one really..

Finally, the New England Patriots need to avoid expending a first round draft pick on a prospect with medical red flags. The New England Patriots should have learned their lesson from the Ras-I Dowling draft selection.

The mistake would be to undergo knee surgery, miss the NFL combine, and declare for the NFL Draft in the same calendar year.

Who cares if he would be playing on a weaker ND defense next year? Prospects are graded upon individual performance not overall team performance.

A weaker ND defense matters because football is a team sport, and especially on the defensive line where each members play is dependent on those around him. A NT in particular can only be effective if those guys around him that he facilitates for make plays. A perfect example is the National Title game. A lot of people were down on Nix because Alabama ran all over the ND defense but that had nothing to do with Nix's individual play. When you are the only threat on the DL the offense just double teams you and runs the play away from you just like Alabama did. We have already seen people criticize him for not playing as well as last year with Te'o and Kapron Lewis-Moore gone. How effective would he be next season without Stephon Tuitt next to him? That isn't a knock on Nix because I love the guy, but he can't do it all by himself and the success of any player in football is dependent on those around them.

Looking at it in another way: Its a passer League, where 2 out of 3 downs is pass - Do a team use a 1r pick on a 100% run stopping guy then? Even too we use Vince on alot of downs, Nix can't give you garantees he can be the same guy. Comeing out of college Vince was a much better player then Nix. Wouldn't it be better to get a Hageman/Trutt in the 1 round and get a NT in 3-4 round, IF we infact need, i doubt we gonna need one really..
The New England Patriots can find a run stuffing defensive tackle in the second or third round (DaQuan Jones, DT - Penn State) or a run stuffing defensive tackle in the third or fourth round (Ryan Carrethers, DT - Arkansas State).

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I think it depends on how you see Nix. If you see him as just a base run stuffing NT then I would agree its probably not the best use of resources. I personally see him as much more than that I don't think its fair to say Wilfork was a much better player coming out of college. I think Nix can be a dominant force in the middle of a defense, push the pocket and create some penetration. He will never put up huge sack numbers but he will create pressure and facilitate for those around him. That's just my opinion though and why I think so highly of him.

On Hageman, I LOVE that guy. My dream scenario would be to trade up and get both but unfortunately I think its Hageman that is more likely to be well out of reach. He is an athletic freak that is going to blow up the combine and I think he will dominate the Senior Bowl. I would love for him to be available for the Pats but I think he is a top 10 pick by draft day. I'm not nearly as impressed by Tuitt, but the physical skill set and versatility is really intriguing. He is a boom or bust type guy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes