PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 draft priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next draft priorities

WR and RB, sure, but TE is definitely a need. We're at a point now where you can expect Gronk to get hurt at some point during the season, and the other TE's are Hooman, Matt Mulligan, and DJ Williams.

So gronk plays his first 2 seasons injury free, second 2 has a injury. Don't give up on him yet.

All this te/wr/rb talk is a joke. Sure these might be the sect picks, but the big uglies are where this team is short going forward. Oline, dline anyone? How many people worried about these positions prior to week one?

As many here will acknowledge, it starts and ends in the trenches. Just because we won going away this afternoon does not mean current depth, let alone future depth should be considered acceptable.

The big question is the difference in quality at the various positions.

After all, BB's goal is to make the biggest possible impact over the life of the contract. If Jace Amaro is there, for example, I think he would make as big a difference at TE over the next five years as most interior OLs would at OL.

Re: Re: Next draft priorities

The big question is the difference in quality at the various positions.

After all, BB's goal is to make the biggest possible impact over the life of the contract. If Jace Amaro is there, for example, I think he would make as big a difference at TE over the next five years as most interior OLs would at OL.

Won't matter if Brady/future qb can't get three seconds to read and pull the trigger because the interior ol is still garbage.

Tight End

Gronk can't be relied on. Too injury prone. Not his fault, but it is what it is.

Won't matter if Brady/future qb can't get three seconds to read and pull the trigger because the interior ol is still garbage.

The Patriots still have Scar as the OL coach. They don't necessarily need a first-round interior OL pick to fix the line.

Tight End

Gronk can't be relied on. Too injury prone. Not his fault, but it is what it is.

The Patriots still have Scar as the OL coach. They don't necessarily need a first-round interior OL pick to fix the line.

I would start in the trenches as those areas of OL/DL being our biggest priority, but that doesn't always necessarily mean that we'll be spending multiple high round 1-3 picks there either. As ctpatsfan77 says, we could very well acquire another pick or two on either side of the line in the middle rounds, or even a later round pick also.

I would like to see at least ONE trenches pick on either OL/DL taken in the first round or two, but I'd also be all for trading down again to accumulate more picks. If that were the case, we could certainly gain an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick and use it to our advantage.

As for the other areas where picks in the higher rounds of 1-3 may be taken, TE and secondary would certainly warrant consideration, particularly if we were able to take another high quality player at either position again.

OL/DL, TE, CB/S are what I see as the teams biggest areas of need depending on whether or not Belichick wishes to go back to double TE sets or have adequate depth at the position again. Of course the free agency aspect will come heavily into play here, as it always does.

If I could choose just ONE player to draft from any position, it'd easily be Durqueze Dennard at CB. I think he's instantly a lock down CB and is pro ready.

My bad

But either way, in the past 10-11 years we've only taken 2 offensive guys (minus OL) in the 1st round. And 1 was a huge bust. We're due for drafting a TE this year.

The way you're setting it up, there are 21 positions one could draft in the first round (if we rule out QB), and you're complaining that not enough love has been given to 5 of them.

Naive arithmetic disagrees with you.

TE there are 3(4 if you count Lyerla) beasts at the position this year that along with a hopefully healthy Gronk would make us unstoppable. We can build the lines through FA.

While I believe in taking the best player on the board philosophy, to answer the question I would go DT first. I like Chris Jones and Siliga, I love Armstead's potential--but that's all it is right now and Vellano is undersized. I'd like to see them draft a stud DT.

After that it becomes more unclear.

I'd like to see them draft a QB as Mallett has never looked like a starter to me and will be gone soon.

An inside OL would be a good choice as well.

And just because we always seem to need them, a CB is always a good choice.

TE is a place of need as well. While it would be nice to grab a FA; I doubt this will happen due to the salary cap, so if a TE falls to them, I'd love to see them take one.

Won't matter if brady can get 3 seconds to pull the trigger but there's no one to throw to. See how easy that is?

Won't matter if there's no defense on the field to stop the other team from getting 7 every time.

I'm surprised to see that more people think the DL is more of a need than LB.

At DT, Wilfork and Kelly are older and got injured, but both should be back next season. Behind them, Salaga, Chris Jones, and Vellano have showed potential. Plus Armstead is floating out there too. To me, the Pats don't need to use more than a 3rd round pick to bolster that group.

At DE, I could see more of an argument for a high pick because there isn't much behind Chandler Jones and Ninkovich at the moment (although Buchanon has flashed at times). However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a run at Michael Johnson if he doesn't resign with the Bengals. There were reports last offseason that he was priority one for the Pats until the Bengals franchised him. Personally, I'd prefer an impact FA over a rookie at DE.

LB though seems to have more questions than either DE or DT, even if Mayo wasn't coming of an injury. Fletcher and Spikes are both in the last year of their contracts. Hightower has been up and down all year (although more up the past 3 games). Collins has looked good the past few weeks *knock on wood*. Beauharnais hasn't played much, but it looks like he will be Spikes's replacement. To me, that group needs to add another impact player even if they do decide to bring both Spikes and Fletcher back.

After last night I'd really love for them to go after Arthur Jones in FA.

Question is: would he play DE or DT in our system?

After last night I'd really love for them to go after Arthur Jones in FA.

Question is: would he play DE or DT in our system?

Jones is very odd, he seems to be carrying a bunch of extra fat, I wonder what position he's be best at if he shed a lot of that useless flab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back