PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Draft FS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think DBs are the #1 priority. Regular season, Pats got torched so many times, in the middle, my head is spinning.. I mean, Edelman, Slater, are NOT DBs. They cannot cover and cannot tackle... Also, the fact that our DBs tend to get hurt in bunches, every year!

Alabama has one of the top-D in college. Barron may be gone by the time Patriots pick. But, if Lester (Junior) is in the draft, Patriots should use the #32 pick. I'm guessing Patriots will trade their #1, for a 2013 #1 and 2013 #2/#3.

HUH? Edelman can't cover and can't tackle? Edelman was one of the best tacklers on the field. He was pretty damn good in coverage as well..

Also, Lester already declared he was going back to Alabama for one more year.

Also, Lester already declared he was going back to Alabama for one more year.

Which is good. I don't have to deal with people who are so desperate for a FS that they promote reaching at least a full round for one.

Oh well time to focus on the FA market or draft another corner and move Dowling or McCorty to FS.

Which is good. I don't have to deal with people who are so desperate for a FS that they promote reaching at least a full round for one.

Agreed. There isn't a single safety worth the 1st round pick this year.

I think you have basically described the Jeff Tarpinian Experiment. Others have mentioned how good his numbers were and he was used in coverage a great deal at Iowa coupled with the fact that he started at safety.

Or he may just get cut at during the first week of Training Camp next year .....

Don't remember him ever being projected as a first rounder though. Although I acknowledge that it was a pretty dumb idea born of working all night and overthinking.

I think you have basically described the Jeff Tarpinian Experiment. Others have mentioned how good his numbers were and he was used in coverage a great deal at Iowa coupled with the fact that he started at safety.

Or he may just get cut at during the first week of Training Camp next year .....

The last WLB Iowa player who moved from LB to SS in the NFL was Bob Sanders.

Tarp would have to shed from 238lbs to 220. It's possible but it's not like Jeff is fat. It's going to be hard.

Also, I think Bill views him as a ST ache like Izzo and White. He's a replacement for White. White's contract is up in 2012 and he's going to 32 or above.

Jeff Tarp was a damn good ST teamer.

George Iloka from Boise State is really growing on me because of his versatility. Despite going 6'3 #213, he switched from FS and played cornerback for the last several games of the season. He has has a surprisingly fluid backpedal for a long, lanky guy, solid speed (4.45 - 4.5) and he seems to play with good recognition. He's not a knock-out artist, but he does wrap up well. Pretty good ball skills, incredibly long arms, the ability to play press-man, and lots of experience as a centerfielder on a team that was used to competitors passing in order to catch up . . . oh, and he's currently rated as a fourth rounder. Sounds like a good confluence of talent and value.

I really want us to draft players who can rotate between safety and corner on any given snap. McCourty can, Dowling can (although we barely got to see it this year), and that's about it. Next year I'm intrigued by Xavier Rhodes, who gave the immensely talented Michael Floyd a very tough time in their bowl game. David Amerson is also on the radar, if only for putting up ridiculous interception totals (literally once in a generation numbers--he matched records from the 50s and 60s).

I have no interest in the rest of the safety class this year. Barron replicates too much of what we already have. Martin . . . meh. The value just isn't there.

George Iloka from Boise State is really growing on me because of his versatility. Despite going 6'3 #213, he switched from FS and played cornerback for the last several games of the season. He has has a surprisingly fluid backpedal for a long, lanky guy, solid speed (4.45 - 4.5) and he seems to play with good recognition. He's not a knock-out artist, but he does wrap up well. Pretty good ball skills, incredibly long arms, the ability to play press-man, and lots of experience as a centerfielder on a team that was used to competitors passing in order to catch up . . . oh, and he's currently rated as a fourth rounder. Sounds like a good confluence of talent and value.

I really want us to draft players who can rotate between safety and corner on any given snap. McCourty can, Dowling can (although we barely got to see it this year), and that's about it. Next year I'm intrigued by Xavier Rhodes, who gave the immensely talented Michael Floyd a very tough time in their bowl game. David Amerson is also on the radar, if only for putting up ridiculous interception totals (literally once in a generation numbers--he matched records from the 50s and 60s).

I have no interest in the rest of the safety class this year. Barron replicates too much of what we already have. Martin . . . meh. The value just isn't there.

I love him too, he is the perfect mock draft type player. I have never seen him play but his height / weight / speed make me think he could grow into a starting role.

I actually see Jeff Tarpinian growing out of just a Special Teams role either next year or the year after. Tracy White is aging and it's time to cut ties with Gary Guyton. Tarpinian replaces both of those guys perfectly.

I am glad others are thinking about George Iloka as much as me. The Pats could be able to use both 3rd and 4th round picks and possible free agents on safeties in the upcoming draft. If the Pats sign Brandon Lloyd and Wes Welker, it could allow the Pats to not use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR and it could also mean they will trade one of the 1st rd picks even more.

Lester is returning to Alabama which means that Mark Barron's value is higher who he won't be available and Markelle Martin should move up to become an early 2nd round pick. This could be good for the Pats and they can pick there safeties in later rounds. The Pats could look at both Iloka and other players that can also be effective:

Winston Guy Jr., S, Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 210. Projected 40 Time: 4.49. Projected Round (2012): 3-4. Smart player with a lot of skills. He has the size and speed and would be a steal in the 4th round. Hard hitter and real solid run defender who has very similar qualities to Barron but at a better price and NO off the field issues.

Brandon Taylor, FS, LSU
Height: 6-0. Weight: 191. Projected 40 Time: 4.51. Projected Round (2012): 3-4. Physical, talented second-leading tackler for LSU and a real hard hitter who many think is underrated.

The info is just an idea of the options the Pats could have. If Lloyd is signed along with Welker the Pats can fulfill the WR issues. They can then use or trade one of the first round picks but still end up with at least 4 picks in the first two rounds. If solid safeties are available in the 3rd and 4th round then the 1st and 2nd rd picks can specifically focus on DE/DL/OLB positions and possibly add a OC in the mix.

Another conversion prospect, played CB at Montana.

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana

6'2, 204, 4.5 ish

So here's a wacky off the wall suggestion which you should feel free to shoot down. How about Zach Brown, UNC's linebacker, for the safety role. The thought just came to me and I need it tested. The case for:

1. Using PFW's unofficial 40 times, Zach Brown is faster than every safety listed and is as fast or faster than every cornerback in the draft.

2. Here's how PFW describe him:

So he might not be ideal around the line of scrimmage, but put him into the defensive backfield and he can do what he does best, cover receivers.

3. His stock is falling. Most boards had him top ten to top fifteen a few weeks ago. He's now edging towards the bottom of the first round where there's a lot of 3-4 teams that he might not fit.

4. Belichick is always looking for value with his draft picks but also looks for very good measurables relative to position in the first round. Brown is someone who could better any safety in the draft in terms of flexibility and speed at the combine.

5. There's a poor safety class in the draft so a conversion may be the route to go.

6. At 6'2" and 230 lb's, he certainly has ideal size for the position.

7. If the conversion project doesn't work out, at worst we've added depth to a linebacking corps who struggle in coverage.

8. Doesn't it strike you as a very Belichickian thing to do. Take someone whose stock is falling because he might not have ideal size for a position and convert him to a position for which physically he's ideally suited.

OK, feel free to shoot me down now.

All of the above pretty much describes Jeff Tarpinian. I'd hazard a guess that there's something about him that BB really likes, since he was kept on the 53-man over Yeatman and Lee Smith.

Another conversion prospect, played CB at Montana.

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana

6'2, 204, 4.5 ish

I've mentioned him a few times.. I likey...

I am glad others are thinking about George Iloka as much as me. The Pats could be able to use both 3rd and 4th round picks and possible free agents on safeties in the upcoming draft. If the Pats sign Brandon Lloyd and Wes Welker, it could allow the Pats to not use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR and it could also mean they will trade one of the 1st rd picks even more.

Lester is returning to Alabama which means that Mark Barron's value is higher who he won't be available and Markelle Martin should move up to become an early 2nd round pick. This could be good for the Pats and they can pick there safeties in later rounds. The Pats could look at both Iloka and other players that can also be effective:

Winston Guy Jr., S, Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 210. Projected 40 Time: 4.49. Projected Round (2012): 3-4. Smart player with a lot of skills. He has the size and speed and would be a steal in the 4th round. Hard hitter and real solid run defender who has very similar qualities to Barron but at a better price and NO off the field issues.

Brandon Taylor, FS, LSU
Height: 6-0. Weight: 191. Projected 40 Time: 4.51. Projected Round (2012): 3-4. Physical, talented second-leading tackler for LSU and a real hard hitter who many think is underrated.

The info is just an idea of the options the Pats could have. If Lloyd is signed along with Welker the Pats can fulfill the WR issues. They can then use or trade one of the first round picks but still end up with at least 4 picks in the first two rounds. If solid safeties are available in the 3rd and 4th round then the 1st and 2nd rd picks can specifically focus on DE/DL/OLB positions and possibly add a OC in the mix.

I'm curious as to which site had both Guy and Taylor as 3rd/4th rounders. NFLDraftScout.com has them projected as 7th round/UDFA

I've mentioned him a few times.. I likey...

Excellent, lets see if he plays in any all star games or gets a combine invite. The Patriots could become Montana East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe