PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Draft FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Grid I looked to see if you have started one of these and I couldn't find it so apologies if I missed it and mods feel free to merge.

TJ McDonald USC 6'2" 205 4.54 (junior)

Good speed and range, good hands, good ball skills. Aggressive in run support and a good hitter. A good tackler when he takes the right angle but often misjudges and puts himself out of position. Bites on playaction much too often and too hard.

Markelle Martin 6'1 198 198 4.47

Good closing speed, hard hitter, could play free or strong safety. Reminds me too much of the Meriweather. He's always around the play but rarely makes it. You can see the potential but he seems to lack the instincts and wants to make the big play too much. I'm not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is.

Robert Lester 6'2" 210 4.54 (junior)

By far my favorite prospect at the position. Good range, instincts, hands, play maker, active in run support, understands gap responsibilities in run support, good blitzer against the run and pass, diagnoses the play and doesn't just move to a spot and sit. If he comes out he's the guy I want.

Grid I looked to see if you have started one of these and I couldn't find it so apologies if I missed it and mods feel free to merge.

Good speed and range, good hands, good ball skills. Aggressive in run support and a good hitter. A good tackler when he takes the right angle but often misjudges and puts himself out of position. Bites on playaction much too often and too hard.

Good closing speed, hard hitter, could play free or strong safety. Reminds me too much of the Meriweather. He's always around the play but rarely makes it. You can see the potential but he seems to lack the instincts and wants to make the big play too much. I'm not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is.

By far my favorite prospect at the position. Good range, instincts, hands, play maker, active in run support, understands gap responsibilities in run support, good blitzer against the run and pass, diagnoses the play and doesn't just move to a spot and sit. If he comes out he's the guy I want.

Nice list, however I'm not convinced any of the three add much to the Patriots' defense (although with our safeties, a scarecrow might be a step up).

Wilfork #75, in another thread, made the point that the Patriots defense doesn't scare anyone anymore. That's why I'm on the Mark Barron bandwagon. I know he's a SS in old terminology but I think that distinction is less important for the Pats. His hitting is immense but that doesn't distract from his pass defense skills. He doesn't have the skills to be a man cover safety but by all accounts he's very active in the film room and is very instinctual in reading what the QB does. I watched him against Arkansas and he was regularly breaking up plays on the sideline.

Looking at this draft, I'm looking for that defensive player who can make the biggest immediate improvement to this defense and I really do believe it will be Mark Barron, although Courtney Upshaw has a good case to make.

Great presentation, Brother. :cool:

Very kind of you to think of my Threads, Bro, though of course I am but your humble servant, presenting these for the good of the community. :D

As coincidence has it, I'm actually skipping MidFielders and all Safeties for now, simply because I like to have input from Draft Scout and National FootBall Post, both, before commenting, and so many top Picks at all 3 Positions are Juniors ~ which get low priority at those and most Sites ~ that not much substantial has been written about them.

I'll be cycling back through each Thread over the course of the Winter and early Spring, adding Reports and waxing poetic. :p

I'll be rolling out the Corners tomorrow morning, or possibly as early as this Evening.

That's why I'm on the Mark Barron bandwagon. I know he's a SS in old terminology but I think that distinction is less important for the Pats. His hitting is immense but that doesn't distract from his pass defense skills. He doesn't have the skills to be a man cover safety but by all accounts he's very active in the film room and is very instinctual in reading what the QB does. I watched him against Arkansas and he was regularly breaking up plays on the sideline.

I like Barron a lot but Chung and Barron are very similar although I think Barron is more instinctual. To be honest given the Patriots like to play three safeties a lot so if they drafted both Barron and Lester I wouldn't be disappointed. I just feel they need a cover safety more. Rodney was very instinctual and become a decent cover safety but it took years.

I'm not the least bit concerned about whether players are worried about some big hit in the middle of the field as I am about a coverage saftety that can deflect or intercept a ball intended for a receiver in the back corner of the endzone. ( Santonio Holmes,Plaxico Burress, etc. etc.)

I totally agree about Lester. He would look phenominal in a Pats uniform.

But IMO the write-ups for McDonald and Martin should be reversed*. Another two guys I like are Rashard Hall, Clemson (6'1",210#) and David Rowe, Rutgers (5'11", 195#).

(*no offense meant, Everlong)

Last edited:
I totally agree about Lester. He would look phenominal in a Pats uniform.

But IMO the write-ups for McDonald and Martin should be reversed*. Another two guys I like are Rashard Hall, Clemson (6'1",210#) and David Rowe, Rutgers (5'11", 195#).

(*no offense meant, Everlong)

It's all just opinions and maybe we watched different games.

Martin I saw Texas and half of Iowa St.

McDonald I saw Oregon and most of Stanford.

I didn't catch any of Rutgers. Clemson I only caught half of the BC game but don't really recall Hall good or bad. Do a write up!

Last edited:
Hall was hampered by injuries all season long and could use another season to bolster his draft stock. I would be surprised if he comes out this year.

There is no reason BB can't draft a Barron in the second and then comeback and draft whoever is left of McDonald, Lester and Martin in the third.

Of course BB also has free agents he can pursue as well as an option.

Last edited:
The recent trend of BB doubling up on positions of need in the draft makes one wonder if 2 safeties in the round 2-4 range is very likely. We needed a TE so we got AH and Gronk. We had only one RB signed/healthy going into this year so we went Vereen/Ridley. I would love a double safety/CB draft combo at some point this year.

Last edited:
The recent trend of BB doubling up on positions of need in the draft makes one wonder if 2 safeties in the round 2-4 range is very likely. We needed a TE so we got AH and Gronk. We had only one RB signed/healthy going into this year so we went Vereen/Ridley. I would love a double safety/CB draft combo at some point this year.

If we go back to the 3-4, I'd like to double up on drafting olb's too. I'm not worried about C. We've used 4 this year and are on pace to score 500pts! Would like a WR. Maybe, we sign a vet and re-up Welker.

1a. OLB
1b. DE 3-4 One two gapper
2a FS
2b OLB
3 CB
4 S - Tweener

All defense. All the time!

There is no reason BB can't draft a Barron in the second and then comeback and draft whoever is left of McDonald, Lester and Martin in the third.

Of course BB also has free agents he can pursue as well as an option.

I doubt any of the three FS make it to the third round. Michael Griffin is the only FA who I'd rate with above average coverage skills at saftety this year.

I doubt any of the three FS make it to the third round. Michael Griffin is the only FA who I'd rate with above average coverage skills at saftety this year.

And he's been horrendous this year. He seems to play well every other year, but this has been the worst of his bad years, I think. One year deal and hope that pattern continues?:cool:

And he's been horrendous this year. He seems to play well every other year, but this has been the worst of his bad years, I think. One year deal and hope that pattern continues?:cool:

He really has been Jekyll and Hyde. I was more commenting on how weak this year's FA safety class is more than speculating we should go after him. On a one year prove it deal...I think the upside would make it a worthy chance. Would he do that? I don't think so. He's good enough that somebody will give him a 4 year deal at moderate dollars and bonus.

Last edited:
Dashon Goldson is a guy I'd like to see signed by New England. They already wanted to sign him this year, but he decided to stay in San Francisco and signed a one-year deal with the 49ers. He looked good yesterday against the Steelers. Definitely way better than everything we have right now.

Last edited:
You don't have to draft one of the big names to have success at safety, IMO.

Brian Peters Northwestern could be a late round type of pick that would stick. 1st team big 10 and also qb of the defense. 6'2" 215. Probably not as fast as some but a lot faster than Sanders, for example. Could see Barron in the 2nd and a CB in the 3rd like Casey Heyward.

Probably a good move by McDonald he needs the seasoning and if he has a great senior year he could move up into the back of the first round.

Dashon Goldson is a guy I'd like to see signed by New England. They already wanted to sign him this year, but he decided to stay in San Francisco and signed a one-year deal with the 49ers. He looked good yesterday against the Steelers. Definitely way better than everything we have right now.

Don't get a lot of 49'ers games here in Pa. Monday was the first time I got to focus on him and their defense. He would upgrade out free safety position ten fold. We also need to get some of our guys to Justin Smith's Gym:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots