PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 NFL Free Agency 'Let's Sign This Guy' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand this. Its either they get someone tomorrow or its nothing. They start camp on freaking thursday. If they had a guy in mind/trade they would have done it today or have to do it tomrorow.

My gut is that that do nothing. If they do nothing, its probably a 10-6 team. Their schedule is as hard as last year and they WILL NOT have that turnover ratio that they did last year. Brady won't go 36-4 again. He'll probably have something like 28-12, based on that awesome field position they had last year.

This sucks. So much for a hectic FA for the pats.

Why did we even think that was gonna happen????

Did I miss something? Last I checked, most of the major FAs hadn't signed anywhere yet...

Last edited:
Texans agree to 1 year vet min deal with Damoine Lewis and Chargers agree to 1 year deal with Randy McMichael. Vet min deals

Twitter

Re: Matt Roth Sweepstakes

If the Pats had a problem with Raptors or Triceritops, I think Roth would be a good addition.

As I understand it, FA hasn't started yet. The activity so far is just teams resigning their own guys/players that were cut, right? So how did Quintin Mikell get signed? Did Philadelphia cut him?

Mikell has an agreement in principle, but he's not actually signed yet. Nobody has signed yet, except teams' own free agents.

MossWelkowski has to win the all-time extremely premature ejaculation award for this one.

This is a Pats team that won 14 games last year with a slew of rookies in key positions, is returning all but one key starter, and is loaded with youth and talent on both sides of the ball, in addition to being piloted by a Hall of Fame coach/QB combo in its prime. We're like 23 hours into the offseason... the only move so far has been to clear the salary space of an overpaid, injured, unproductive linebacker. Are you really panicking, or is this a joke? I might need a sarcasm detector.

Unless they dumb Kaczur and Sanders, I think you are correct. With only 7.5 million and a rookie cap of 5.8 million, that's not a lot left..

Granted, there is the 3.5 million exemption. They could also free up money with Mankins, but that will take a lot of work.

A lot of the 5.8 for rookies will displace existing salaries by bumping them out of the top 51, plus they can push $3M forward if desired in addition to the 3.5 that you cited. If the Pats really want to, they should be able to sign ~$8-10M worth of free agents.

Last edited:
Mikell has an agreement in principle, but he's not actually signed yet. Nobody has signed yet, except teams' own free agents.

Okay. That seems strange. Why agree in principle so long before signing? Why deny yourself a few more days of offers and negotiating if you're changing teams anyway? Seems to violate the spirit of the free agency opening date.

Last edited:
A lot of the 5.8 for rookies will displace existing salaries by bumping them out of the top 51, plus they can push $3M forward if desired in addition to the 3.5 that you cited. If the Pats really want to, they should be able to sign ~$8-10M worth of free agents.

Also, is that cap number counting TBC gone?

So inquiring minds want to know: how much are they paying you, crowell?

If the Pats had a problem with Raptors or Triceritops, I think Roth would be a good addition.

t-rex.gif

do you see that HUGE Dinosaur chasing that QB with the flare?

yeah that is Matt Roth in pursuit

Last edited:

Why does it matter if he has t-rex arms? I don't know much about Roth but if he can play he can play. Woody and Wes Welker are suppose to be too small and don't forget about drew brees being too short to be qb. Shawn Crable was the perfect size with long arms and look how he turned out. Not saying we should go out and over pay him but, t-rex arms shouldn't be the reason not to get him if he's a reasonable price.

Why does it matter if he has t-rex arms? I don't know much about Roth but if he can play he can play. Woody and Wes Welker are suppose to be too small and don't forget about drew brees being too short to be qb. Shawn Crable was the perfect size with long arms and look how he turned out. Not saying we should go out and over pay him but, t-rex arms shouldn't be the reason not to get him if he's a reasonable price.

4.81 40 not that it matters, but T-rex arms on a LB ='s :eek:

Jets have signed Hunter so far...Whooped dee doo

I'm sure Holmes will be contacted by a few other teams with cap space....hopefully they boost his asking price so the Jets overpay....

Jets probably come out of a cap ****pile smelling like a rose with that deadcap amnesty clause....

The subject of the OP includes three words that have never been used in the same sentence at any time in the history of the English language.

We have a good amount of cap room to do pretty much whatever we want. The cap is ~120 but it "feels" more like 130, so we have a ton of maneuverability to go out and sign some players.

The players I want are:
RT Tyson Clabo (move Vollmer to LT)
OLB Matt Roth
re-sign S James Sanders
re-sign Kevin Faulk

Also lock up Logan Mankins to a long term deal.

Last edited:
Jets have signed Hunter so far...Whooped dee doo

I'm sure Holmes will be contacted by a few other teams with cap space....hopefully they boost his asking price so the Jets overpay....

Jets probably come out of a cap ****pile smelling like a rose with that deadcap amnesty clause....

I hope somebody steals him. Holmes is clutch, I'd rather not face him in a close game down the stretch. Hope Snyder comes through and overpays him.

You're wildly entertaining when young balls are discounted TheSolderKing :D.

MossWelkowski has to win the all-time extremely premature ejaculation award for this one.

This is a Pats team that won 14 games last year with a slew of rookies in key positions, is returning all but one key starter, and is loaded with youth and talent on both sides of the ball, in addition to being piloted by a Hall of Fame coach/QB combo in its prime. We're like 23 hours into the offseason... the only move so far has been to clear the salary space of an overpaid, injured, unproductive linebacker. Are you really panicking, or is this a joke? I might need a sarcasm detector.

What if Ty warren or wilfork gets hurt... then what? What if cunningham gets hurt then what? They have no depth at those positions.

This team as of now will not go 14-2 again and they will just get ripped to shreds in the first playoff game again when they face the jets steelers or ravens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back