PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 AFC East Season Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Very good point FTP. Many people around here forget that it's sunny and 72 degrees with no wind, 365 days a year in New England, and the use of an indoor practice facility up here is really superfluous.

Wait.

That's not right.

Gee, I guess we missed the point which was .... ummm, yeah, Florida, inclimate weather, sure, and they're just NOW getting an indoor practice facility?!? Rumor is they're adding a couple whirlpools and and entire cafeteria next year, maybe even a weight room the year after that. I'll bet Saban is foaming at the mouth over the thought of never having to review game film on 8mm again!

You're comparing cold and wind with lightning and hurricanes? Since you obviously need a little help here I'll provide it. Cold and Wind, though they can be uncomfortable, are hardly life threatening conditions on a practice field. Now do you get the point or should I provide pictures?

feelthepain said:
Do you realize how many practices the fins miss due to foul weather?? It's been a factor in their preperations for games in recent years. Whens the last time the Pats, Bills or Jets had to deal with a hurricane or tropical storm??

Have you ever heard of a...

BLIZZARD?

Last edited:
Chevagus said:
You're comparing cold and wind with lightning and hurricanes? Since you obviously need a little help here I'll provide it. Cold and Wind, though they can be uncomfortable, are hardly life threatening conditions on a practice field. Now do you get the point or should I provide pictures?
Man you Phin guys are bright ones, eh? I assure you, I understand the need for an indoor practice facility, and given the severe nature of the weather in Florida as compared to New England the mystery here is why on earth did they wait so long to finally make this move? Surely, as you so adeptly pointed out, there's much more of a need for it for you guys, right?

The next mystery is, now that the Phin organization is trying to play catch up with such modern day amenities as (gasp) indoor practice fields, will they now proceed to storing game film on Beta, or jump right ahead to VHS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chevagus said:
I didn't know that the 'Fins practiced outside during hurricanes. How hardcore! That would really help your vertical passing game (as long as Culpepper was passing WITH the hurricane winds ( not advisable to pass AGAINST the hurricane or he could end up with a some broken teeth - just ask Rothlesburger how that feels -ouch). Culpepper will really have some good practice passing stats with those winds - might want to get some bullet proof vests for your WR's though in case the hurricane propelled ball goes through their hands and hits their chests. Sorry, digressing just a bit. Back to the subject of Miami's new indoor practice fields. So it is hurricane proof? Must be built underground kind of like the 3rd Reichs underground bunker complex below Berlin. Or like USA's Cheyanne Mountain NORAD complex built into the side of a mountain in Colo Springs, CO. Oh I forgot - there are no mountains in FLA. Except the mountain the Fin's fanboys are making Culpepper out to be - from the molehill that he is.:D

pats1 said:

BLIZZARD?
Good one!
Isn't that a drink at Dairy Queen - or is it 7-11?
Asking a Floridian what a blizzard is , is kinda like asking a polar bear what an oasis is.
Isn't this fun Pats1? - kind of like shooting fish in a barrell though- it is just too easy - they set themselves up. Set 'em up, bowl 'em down!
P.S. Commendation to T-shirt's post.

SunnyDenmark said:
I didn't know that the 'Fins practiced outside during hurricanes. How hardcore! That would really help your vertical passing game (as long as Culpepper was passing WITH the hurricane winds ( not advisable to pass AGAINST the hurricane or he could end up with a some broken teeth - just ask Rothlesburger how that feels -ouch). Culpepper will really have some good practice passing stats with those winds - might want to get some bullet proof vests for your WR's though in case the hurricane propelled ball goes through their hands and hits their chests. Sorry, digressing just a bit. Back to the subject of Miami's new indoor practice fields. So it is hurricane proof? Must be built underground kind of like the 3rd Reichs underground bunker complex below Berlin. Or like USA's Cheyanne Mountain NORAD complex built into the side of a mountain in Colo Springs, CO. Oh I forgot - there are no mountains in FLA. Except the mountain the Fin's fanboys are making Culpepper out to be - from the molehill that he is.:D

Hilarious.

Just as frequent as hurricanes, winchills here late in the season and in the playoffs can EASILY reach BELOW zero. I know many Floridians have no concept of that, as they were in winter coats during the 50 degree Pats/Dolphins game 2 years ago, but frostbite can set in on exposed skin (ears, nose, face, hands, etc.) within MINUTES.

And during snowstorms and blizzards (which can last for days like hurricanes, and there can be 1-2 storms a week), visiblity drops welly blow a 1/4 mile, making it impossible for QBs to even SEE their receivers.

But of course, hurricanes, nice 80 degree hurricanes...

Here are the requirements for a blizzard:

--Sustained winds of 35 mph or greater

--Falling, blowing snow (sometimes up to rates of 3, 4, or even 8 (blizzard of 2005 in Boston) inches an hour)

--Visiblity near zero

If Chevagus can find an effective way to practice in those conditions, I liked to hear it.

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Man you Phin guys are bright ones, eh? I assure you, I understand the need for an indoor practice facility, and given the severe nature of the weather in Florida as compared to New England the mystery here is why on earth did they wait so long to finally make this move? Surely, as you so adeptly pointed out, there's much more of a need for it for you guys, right?

The next mystery is, now that the Phin organization is trying to play catch up with such modern day amenities as (gasp) indoor practice fields, will they now proceed to storing game film on Beta, or jump right ahead to VHS?

That's the type of a "brainy" organization that would cling to Wannstedt two seasons too long.

Saban is a brilliant coach, but let's see if he can work with his owner and front office as well as Belikrioli works.

BTW, the Phins fans obviously didn't read the Walter's Miami report. He shows that they have an incredible .750 winning percentage in September the past decade. If weather in TC was such a hardship for the Phins, then why is their best record in September????? Wouldn't they be behind on the learning and prep curve early on? Methinks TC prep is not the problem.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
That's the type of a "brainy" organization that would cling to Wannstedt two seasons too long.

Saban is a brilliant coach, but let's see if he can work with his owner and front office as well as Belikrioli works.
Yup, and in fairness to him and all troll-prodding aside, I remember reading where Saban basically said the organization was a mess and there were glaring needs both in infrastructure and facilities. He took the gig only because he was convinced of their sincerity to get everything fixed up and turned around. Just a wild guess that their new indoor practice facility is due to their commitment to Saban, to try to finally build a world-class organization down there. Maybe.

pats1 said:

BLIZZARD?

Yeah, I lived in Upstate NY for ten years. Whats that have to do with the fins and hurricanes and tropical storms?? I'll promise you Miami has far more foul weather then NE, through a whole season. Do you think WH would spend millions on a buliding that wasn't needed??

soswalter said:
I have this as my signature, but some of you may not have seen it. This is a 2006 season preview of the AFC East. I also have a two-round 2007 NFL Mock Draft on this site:

http://www.walterfootball.com/season2006_AFCE.php

I agree with your preview except that I think that you might be a tad too kind to the Bills saying that they can win four games, they will be lucky to win one this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yup, and in fairness to him and all troll-prodding aside, I remember reading where Saban basically said the organization was a mess and there were glaring needs both in infrastructure and facilities. He took the gig only because he was convinced of their sincerity to get everything fixed up and turned around. Just a wild guess that their new indoor practice facility is due to their commitment to Saban, to try to finally build a world-class organization down there. Maybe.

Yes Saban is having a big effect on this oragnization. Dolphin stadium now has the largest Video screen in the world, WH also spent 250 mil out of his own pocket to upgrade the stadium, keep in mind it took less the half that much to build the stadium in 87. WH is spending money on every aspect of the team. Coaching staff, players, facility's, adverstising promotion. The fins were a step behind and that's changing daily. There are many reason people in the business think the fins are closer to being an elite team then they've been in the last five years.

Last edited:
feelthepain said:
I'll promise you Miami has far more foul weather then NE

Really? You must be a step ahead of those companies building retirement homes in Florida.

Try luring some New England retirees to a Buffalo retirement development instead of one in Florida. Tell me how that turns out.

soswalter said:
I have this as my signature, but some of you may not have seen it. This is a 2006 season preview of the AFC East. I also have a two-round 2007 NFL Mock Draft on this site:

http://www.walterfootball.com/season2006_AFCE.php

First of all, thank you. And, you clearly know a lot more about NFL Teams than I do.

But, I still can't answer one question in the affirmative: did the Pats improve during this past offseason? I don't see how the answer to that question is "Yes." We lost Givens, McGinest, Vinatierie and Ashworth and didn't pick up players of anywhere near comparable experience or credentials.

The good news is that the Jets and Bills didn't get any better either and the Dolphins are depending on Culpepper returning to his old form, which is a bet I wouldn't take.

So, I'd agree we win the Division, but I don't see 13--3. And I would disagree with describing any NFL schedule as "very relaxing," especially one that includes Payme and Favre along with a couple of pretty hungry teams.

I'd be very happy if we won the Division at 11--5 (even 10--6) and then am more than happy to take my chances with a home game or two in January, when anything can happen. But, you're counting a few too many chickens before they're hatched for my comfort.

PatsFanSince74 said:
But, I still can't answer one question in the affirmative: did the Pats improve during this past offseason? I don't see how the answer to that question is "Yes." We lost Givens, McGinest, Vinatierie and Ashworth and didn't pick up players of anywhere near comparable experience or credentials.
I am also abit nervous with a 13-3 guess. However, I am cautiously optimistic as one of BB's best qualities is adaption to changing conditions. You have seen it during the games. But even more so from season to season. (First Brady was a short passer - then BB and CW opened it up over the seasons for longer passes. Then went to the power running game when we got Dillon.) So I believe BB will adapt once again to our changing personnel.

I like to think they have re-loaded this year especially with the draft. Prunned the trees and dying branches. How soon the new saplings will grow out to replace the dying branches will be crucial. But my biggest key for the year is the O line. Hopefully the injured will be back and the youth better with more experience under their belts. It could be a very good run blocking line if they (starters) could have the better part of a season together. Naturally also pass protection is cruicial as Brady might need an extra 2-4 seconds this year to get in synch with his new receivers /TE /FB / HB. I think BB is smart enough to figure out a way to supplement any loss of production from the WR group with the TE's / HB's. Thats my hope anyway. They schedule does also help. I think 12-4 is realistic.

PatsFanSince74 said:
First of all, thank you. And, you clearly know a lot more about NFL Teams than I do.

The good news is that the Jets and Bills didn't get any better either and the Dolphins are depending on Culpepper returning to his old form, which is a bet I wouldn't take.

Many analysts and fans are superficially looking at the list of the Patriots additions and subtractions, and naively concluding they haven't improved as a team. What gets lost in all of this is the return of injured players which absolutely crippled the team early, forcing Brady to carry a beaten and battered offense on his shoulders. The loss of Ashworth is negligible - the Pats will have Kaczur and Light (missed almost all of '05) at the tackles, with Brandon Gorin providing some depth. Inside, even if Koppen doesn't return for the start of the season after missing the second half of '05, will still have Mankins, Hochstein, and Neal. Look for Kaczur and Mankins to continue to improve in their second seasons.

The WR position took a hit losing Givens, but received first-round talent from Chad Jackson in return. Fortunately, he won't have to carry too heavy of a load as Brady will have PLENTY of targets between Branch, Watson, Graham, Caldwell, Jackson, Faulk, Brown, Maroney, Thomas, Mills, and Pass. The additions of Mills, Thomas, and Jackson through the draft and the continued emergence of Watson will really offset the Givens loss.

While it would be impossible to replace what Vinatieri brought in pressure situations, Gostkowski, a 4th-round draft pick, brings a stronger leg, something that will help as we all saw Vinatieri's kickoffs and long field goals start to decline over the past few years.

The defensive backfield has been shored up with the return of Gay and Chad Scott, and the additions of Warfield and Tebucky. When Rodney can return still remains a big question, but the Pats have more backfield depth than they've had in years to lessen the impact if he wasn't to return.

So, I'd agree we win the Division, but I don't see 13--3. And I would disagree with describing any NFL schedule as "very relaxing," especially one that includes Payme and Favre along with a couple of pretty hungry teams.

Favre is a shell of his former self. The Packers have slipped all the way down to the bottom of the NFL barrel.

Considering what the Pats went through early in the season last year (@ Car, @ Pit, vs. SD, @ ATL, @ DEN, vs. IND), this schedule certainly is a breath of fresh air. The NFC North with Detroit and Green Bay isn't nearly as good as the NFC South with Carolina, Tampa, and Atlanta. The AFC South has Houston and Tennessee, while the AFC West was the strongest in the league last year between Denver, Kansas City, and San Diego.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Really? You must be a step ahead of those companies building retirement homes in Florida.

Try luring some New England retirees to a Buffalo retirement development instead of one in Florida. Tell me how that turns out.

How many Blizards doe's NE have in football season?? I'll promise you not half as many as hurricans and tropical storms in Miami in the same length of time. We can have a hurricane or Tropical storm at any point in the season you can't have a blizzard in september or at least it's not vey likely. Snow doesn't hit NE till late november usually. So thats basically a month of snow compared to the whole season of storm possibilities in FLA.

Pats1:

Your post is exactly how I feel about next year. The reason people say 13-3 is very simple. The Pats just about never lose to lesser quality teams. That is a signature of Belichick and Brady, they don't fall victim to 'trap' games or 'off' weekends. If the Pats were simply to beat the less complete teams on the schedule, and then lose fully half of their games against good teams, including once to Miami, you get 13-3.

So let's say that the Pats have one meltdown week against a lesser team, so that would become 12-4. They could make a total mess of things like last year, and still go 11-5.

If you look at the glass as half full this offseason instead of worrying about a declining LB, unused OL, overrated #2 WR, and a former pro-bowl kicker, there is reason for optimism.

feelthepain said:
How many Blizards doe's NE have in football season?? I'll promise you not half as many as hurricans and tropical storms in Miami in the same length of time. We can have a hurricane or Tropical storm at any point in the season you can't have a blizzard in september or at least it's not vey likely. Snow doesn't hit NE till late november usually. So thats basically a month of snow compared to the whole season of storm possibilities in FLA.

You're acting like everyday is a hurricane or tropical storm. There are some years Florida doesn't even get a whiff of a hurricane. For the most part, Florida is 65-95 degrees and sunny the ENTIRE season. The weather is nice in New England for September (~70), but snow can screw up things a helluva lot more than rain does. Every form of precipitation in the late fall/winter is going to be snow. Every form of snow is going to cover the unheated practice field, and is also going to give worse visibility than rain. It takes inches and inches and inches of rain to cover a field, while it takes just a few inches of snow to cover a field. When it snows anywhere from an inch or two a week to over 36 inches in a two-day span, you can forget about the practice fields in November/December/January.

The troll is totally out to lunch. In 2003, I don't remember a single game in NE that took place without blinding rain or snow. Every winter we get blizzards, and it rains way more in NE than the drought-stricken south.

Miami is amazingly untouched by hurricanes, except in the last couple seasons. If you look on the map, you can't even believe that all those storms normally miss Miami. It is almost like Don Shula runs the Weather Committee, the way NE gets bad weather and Miami is always sunny.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
The troll is totally out to lunch. In 2003, I don't remember a single game in NE that took place without blinding rain or snow. Every winter we get blizzards, and it rains way more in NE than the drought-stricken south.

Miami is amazingly untouched by hurricanes, except in the last couple seasons. If you look on the map, you can't even believe that all those storms normally miss Miami. It is almost like Don Shula runs the Weather Committee, the way NE gets bad weather and Miami is always sunny.

I agree. I don't even know why I have to argue New England has worse weather in football season than sunny 'ol Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST