PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 AFC East Season Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacky Roberts said:
Only a complete moron would think the weather in Florida is worse than the weather in New England. Don't they call Florida the "Sunshine State"? Hysterical.

Only a complete moron would think because the state of Florida is called "The Sunshine State" It means it's always sunny!! BTW genius, heat kills more people every year then cold.

Last edited:
SunnyDenmark said:
Good point about the humidity - it gets hot many places in the US in August (training camp / exhibition season) and Sept. but the humidity is quite another thing altogether. I was surprised that I felt the humidity was much worse when I lived in Wash D.C. than when I lived in Atlanta. Then again ATL is 1000 ft above sea level. Hard to prepare a (visiting) football team for the humidity unless you had the team practice in a Turkish steam bath.

The humidity is a big factor...i lived in Colorado for a bit and it got hot during the day in denver (100 plus)..now it was hot..but at least it didn't feel like your breathing through a wet blanket...

And i love humidity! It doens't matter where i go, but when i travel my nose bleeds for a week or two...once i get home i breathe in the water vapor and all is OK...

Last edited by a moderator:
feelthepain said:
BTW genius, heat kills more people every year then cold.

Does it? How do you know? What is the ratio? Can you give us a link to the statistical data? :D

Welker83 said:
The humidity is a big factor...i lived in Colorado for a bit and it got hot during the day in denver (100 plus)..now it was hot..but at least it didn't feel like your breathing through a wet blanket...

And i love humidity! It doens't matter where i go, but when i travel my nose bleeds for a week or two...once i get home i breathe in the water vapor and all is OK...
Colorado - been there ('93-'98), done that, drank the Coors. (No T-shirt).
In the dry heat, I used to put my fingers in water and 'snort' my fingers so the water kept my nose moist. Nose bleeds are a 'bummer' (am I allowed to say the B----- word ?). Hate it when the Pats play Denver as Denver is my 2nd favorite team (but a faaaaarrr 2nd place). Please don't ban me Mods - please don't banish me to the Fins fan site!!:eek:

Altitude has to be the all time home field advantage. It takes the body a good 48-72 hours to properly acclimatize and I read (living in CO) that it takes the body a full 3 months for all the red blood cells to adjust and change their whad-ever-it-is- metabolism thing-amajig. Probably why the Broncos have one of the best home field records - always.

feelthepain said:
Only a complete moron would think because the state of Florida is called "The Sunshine State" It means it's always sunny!! BTW genius, heat kills more people every year then cold.

Idiot, I've been to Fla. many times, but if a state is called the "Sunshine State", I dont think they are trying to tell anyone the weather is bad there. Tell ya what, live in New England for one winter and then tell me what you think. Seriously, that comment is the dumbest thing I"ve ever read on any internet board.

SunnyDenmark said:
Colorado - been there ('93-'98), done that, drank the Coors. (No T-shirt).
In the dry heat, I used to put my fingers in water and 'snort' my fingers so the water kept my nose moist. Nose bleeds are a 'bummer' (am I allowed to say the B----- word ?). Hate it when the Pats play Denver as Denver is my 2nd favorite team (but a faaaaarrr 2nd place). Please don't ban me Mods - please don't banish me to the Fins fan site!!:eek:

Altitude has to be the all time home field advantage. It takes the body a good 48-72 hours to properly acclimatize and I read (living in CO) that it takes the body a full 3 months for all the red blood cells to adjust and change their whad-ever-it-is- metabolism thing-amajig. Probably why the Broncos have one of the best home field records - always.

yeah..been there done that!

I lived there for 7 months... the altitude is an adjustment..for every person it's different, but it's and adjustment none the less...

:rofl: 10 characters
SunnyDenmark said:
To VJCPatriot - haven't you heard that Culpepper gives them TWO -THREE extra wins automatically? (over last years 9-7 total). That is because Culpepper is far ahead of schedule and won't have any setbacks, 'fins will play the exact same teams they played last year in the same order - they will not have any new injuries this year (compared to last years), they will win all the close games again this year that they could have lost last year, the last game of this season the opposing team will also pull their starters early into the game, all the new 'fins players will learn the playbook and pick up the system without any problems (not like our Chad Brown or Monty Beisel), all the new players will mesh in well giving good team chemistry, none of their older players will decline in ability, all the other teams they play will not have improved vs. last year and finally all of their borderline role players will have breakout years. So easily 2-3 extra wins vs last year, probably more.

No points of weakness or question marks at all for the 'fins vs last year - everything will just be better than last year. Did you not clearly understand this VJCPatriot? It's just common sense. :cool:

feelthepain said:
Well smarty pants - I know something that kills more people every year than either heat OR cold OR oppresive humidity: ALTITUDE ! (This is football related as the Broncos have one of the best home field records each year due to altitude).

Altitude kills MANY people every year - especially when it is negative altitude (below sea level). People (including football players ) generally don't live very long when they are at negative altitude ie. below sea level - specifically under water. Of course porpoises do quite well with that. Not sure what that means actually. :confused: SO THERE!!
p.s. How the heck does the last few pages of this weather topic have anything to do with the thread title AFC East Season preview. Or did I click on the Weather Channel's posting board by accident?

WEATHER REVISED - 2006 AFC East Season Preview

New 2006 AFC EAST regular season predictions - adjusted for weather conditions (as that seems to be a vital topic as of late):

NE Pats: should be 13-3 but with the wooly moth caterpillars having an extra heavy coat this year - it looks like a hard brutal winter. So take off two wins due to frostbite on our DB's hands. Final prediction: 11-5

NY Jets: rebuilding year should give a 7-9 record but with the smog and air pollution problems of NYC - whomever is at QB ( Vinny! Vinny!) probably won't SEE the WR's on deep patterns. So that makes the Jets a one dimensional running team and thats minus 3 wins. Final prediction: 4-12

Buffalo Bills: who cares ! their dead meat. original guess was 4-12 but as they are boring and also suffer cold weather (which can KILL people) thats minus 1 win. Final prediction 3-13

MIA Dolphins: Up and coming team should be OBVIOUSLY better than last years team so that means 10-6. HOWEVER, due to thunderstorms, 'fins will loose several tall players from lightning strikes. Remaining players will bend over constantly in a 3 pt stance (to lower their height) - EVEN AFTER THE BALL IS SNAPPED. This lack of leverage will negatively impact their blocking schemes resulting in at least minus 6 wins (but adding in the AUTOMATIC 3 wins from Culpepper) means the final prediction is 7-9.

Sorry fins fans - Note: instead of putting the helmut ON the dolphin - put a real dolphin ON TOP of the helmut of every player. Dolphins are full of fat and thus a good insulator against lightning. :singing:

Last edited:
Re: WEATHER REVISED - 2006 AFC East Season Preview

SunnyDenmark said:
New 2006 AFC EAST regular season predictions - adjusted for weather conditions (as that seems to be a vital topic as of late):

NE Pats: should be 13-3 but with the wooly moth caterpillars having an extra heavy coat this year - it looks like a hard brutal winter. So take off two wins due to frostbite on our DB's hands. Final prediction: 11-5

NY Jets: rebuilding year should give a 7-9 record but with the smog and air pollution problems of NYC - whomever is at QB ( Vinny! Vinny!) probably won't SEE the WR's on deep patterns. So that makes the Jets a one dimensional running team and thats minus 3 wins. Final prediction: 4-12

Buffalo Bills: who cares ! their dead meat. original guess was 4-12 but as they are boring and also suffer cold weather (which can KILL people) thats minus 1 win. Final prediction 3-13

MIA Dolphins: Up and coming team should be OBVIOUSLY better than last years team so that means 10-6. HOWEVER, due to thunderstorms, 'fins will loose several tall players from lightning strikes. Remaining players will bend over constantly in a 3 pt stance (to lower their height) - EVEN AFTER THE BALL IS SNAPPED. This lack of leverage will negatively impact their blocking schemes resulting in at least minus 6 wins (but adding in the AUTOMATIC 3 wins from Culpepper) means the final prediction is 7-9.

Sorry fins fans - Note: instead of putting the helmut ON the dolphin - put a real dolphin ON TOP of the helmut of every player. Dolphins are full of fat and thus a good insulator against lightning. :singing:

Homer post!!!!!

feelthepain said:
Hmmmm, this is interesting.

Help me out here, Feel the Pain - exactly HOW many years have the Dolphins been in South Florida and they're just NOW getting this extremely key facility?

If the U.S. Government is as stupid as the Miami Dolphins organization, then New Orleans can expect to have repair work started on its levees in 2047.

feelthepain said:
Homer post!!!!!
Yes, I have quite a large Homer following. Be advised that the Homer Federal Protection Act of 1997 stipulates that Homers are covered under the Equal Rights Amendment. Thus, you are subject to a fine if you deny Homers the right of free speech.

SunnyDenmark said:

One of the funniest posts ever, I am sitting in class reading this and couldn't help but laugh out loud, the rest of the class looked at me like I was crazy.

Keep them coming SunnyDenmark!!!

Jacky Roberts said:
Only a complete moron would think the weather in Florida is worse than the weather in New England. Don't they call Florida the "Sunshine State"? Hysterical.

having lived in both miami and boston for many years, that's so obvious as to be absurd. just look at all the southern florida residents who vacation in foxboro in january

anyway, this thread suggests that we all have too much time on our hands waiting for training camp to begin...

CopenhagenPatsfan said:
One of the funniest posts ever, I am sitting in class reading this and couldn't help but laugh out loud, the rest of the class looked at me like I was crazy.

Keep them coming SunnyDenmark!!!

ditto. that was very funny. thanks for giving me a good start to another miserable, muggy day in the Apple...

TNPatsFan said:
Does it? How do you know? What is the ratio? Can you give us a link to the statistical data? :D

Korey Stringer

But i am no way backing up aqua forever...

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2001/07/25/Sports/autin010725.html

GAINESVILLE, FLA. (AP) - Incoming Florida freshman Eraste Autin died Wednesday, nearly a week after collapsing and falling into a coma following a workout with teammates.

Autin fell unconscious just outside Florida Field last Thursday after participating in one of the team's voluntary summer conditioning sessions.

Friends of the family said he had a major heart attack, that his fever rose to 42 C, and that he slipped into a coma soon after he was taken to Shands Hospital

Autin is the second player in the state to die during an off-season workout.

In February, Florida State linebacker Devaughn Darling collapsed and died after a workout. Team physician Tom Haney said "cardiac arrhythmia" was the most likely reason for Darling's death.

***** You can actually see the hospital from where he collapsed...15 min walk******
http://www.healthnewsblog.com/cgi-bin/hnblog.pl?hnblog=728051

Sports teams are using a new radio pill, called the CorTemp Temperature Pill, that can monitor a players real-time core body temperature and report back the results to a PDA. Engadget said teams like the Philadelphia Eagles and Jacksonville Jaguars started using the pills after Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Korey Stringer died of heat stroke four years ago.

http://www.nflhs.com/fitness/training/training_08022001a_sim.asp

Q: How have things changed in your 20 years here in your approach to water?
A: Throughout the sport, hydration has changed. Two decades ago, coaches didn't allow fluids on the field. Certainly no water, and if so, only half a cup. We have done tremendous research just on how much athletes sweat and the seriousness of heat illness. That being said, water and Gatorade is available at all times and we talk to our players and we try to educate them. I meet with them the night before we start training in this environment. If you have high heat and high humidity, that's when you can get a heat illness. We talk about drinking plenty and that water is available, take it back to the dormitory. We also weigh our players before practice. We ask them to weigh in, and then we weigh them after practice. We monitor their weight. So throughout the league, people are very interested in making sure of preventing heat injury and heat illness.

Q: Would there ever be a time when the heat was so bad that you would tell the coach he shouldn't practice?
A: Certainly. High humidity, high heat, particularly if the humidity was very high and the heat index was high

Player safety is of great concern to Saban. This is tp protect our players and enable us to be as competative as possible..

Last edited:
feelthepain said:

Summary:

If the Boston Red Sox organization was as stupid as the Miami Dolphins, then it would hold spring training starting mid-February outdoors in Fenway park.

feelthepain said:
Homer post!!!!!
Better one of our Homer posts than one of your Goober posts

spacecrime said:
Better one of our Homer posts than one of your Goober posts
Good point spacecrime! Yah - take *THAT you GOOOOBERS!

Be advised that GOOBERS are NOT covered under any Federal protection program nor granted any equal rights and therefore can be TARRED AND FEATHERED at any time by the discretion of management. Imagine how SILLY a goober dolphin would look after being feathered. It would be laughed out of the ocean and forced to spend the remainder of its pathetic lonely life as a outcast in some rundown semi -SeaWorld type place in Central America doing three shows a day (and matinees on weekends). You have been warned.

P.S. First Homers, then Goobers. Where are the Raisinettes?
(Do they still sell 'Goobers and Raisinettes' in the USA or am I just showing my advanced age?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back