PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2-5.. Am I the only one who is okay with this?

Based on what ? Never running offense ? Or never running defense ? Or because he talks good to the media ?

Maybe you should watch Joe Judge's breakdowns of film...

he's quite knowledgeable about the game and his team loves him. And I never said he was a super bowl caliber coach, just a good one, certainly one that is capable of winning a handful of games with that roster. Every week the Giants are getting better.

2020 has 2 NFL winners.

1. The team that wins the World Championship.

2. The team that gets Trevor Lawrence.

Personally, I do not like Ohio State QBs, but whatever.

Are we looking at a 4 win season? 3? 5? My main concern going forward is not Cam Newton, he's what he is. He was a low budget vet with big upside when they signed him. Now he's just a low budget vet. Meh. My main concern is what happens after this? Do players jump on the Brady-Gronk Express and start parroting the "it's no fun here". We already see that with alumni. Obviously, winning is the big attractant, winning is fun. If they aren't winning , does that affect how they do things around here?

I predicted 9-7 - tough schedule, no Brady - with the belief QB play would be at least competent in a new system (it’s not) and still a very good defense (can’t stop the run very well).

I also believe they did have a post Brady plan. He is in SF right now.
I will say that, while I agree that was their plan, I haven't been overly impressed with Jimmy G.

2020 has 2 NFL winners.

1. The team that wins the World Championship.

2. The team that gets Trevor Lawrence.

Personally, I do not like Ohio State QBs, but whatever.
I've never been a big fan of Ohio State players in general throughout the years, but I also find that I'm not all that in love with Trevor Lawrence. As much as a lot of Pats fans want him (and I'm not necessarily saying you - I don't know that), I do not think I would want him as our QB.

Here's the issue with your statement. Flacco, Foles, and Eli (2011) all won SB's where they had the all time best play of their career in their playoff runs and ripped off 3 of the best statistical playoff performances in the SB era. That's not hyperbole. Most of the data shows this. They were playing at an elite level at that time.....

They also never did it again and as a result their teams were not consistently in the hunt for championships the way Brady/Manning/Ben/Brees/Rodgers typically were.

Manning in 2015 was similar to Dilfer in 2000. They had outlier historically great defenses.

So please just recognize that while these are paths, they are in no way longterm solutions and how consistent franchises operate. We will not have a world class defense that is hopefully good enough to drag a QB to one SB before attrition wears them down anytime soon. Yes maybe lightning might strike with a midlevel QB, but you can't consistently hope for it.
You are arguing that when half the QBs that win SBs are not “elite franchise QBs” that you can explain away what happens half the time.
Brees and Rodgers have won as many sbs as Flacco, differ, Brad Johnson and nick foles. The argument that they don’t count because they had career years confirms that you can win without an elite franchise QB.
You can hope to win with a mid tier QB and be correct as often as with Brees or Rodgers and even Peyton Manning because he won 1 as an elite QB and one as a guy who was worse than Dilfer.

Do you have a better chance of competing and winning with a top QB? Of course.
Do you have a better chance of competing and winning with a top defense? Of course.
Do you have a better chance of competing and winning with a top running game? Of course.
But you can win without them as well. This is why it’s illogical to say a team should dump its best players, and stink on purpose to get one player. 15 of 16 QBs selected #1 in the last 21 years have not won a SB. Decimating your team to get the shiny toy doesn’t help, it never has and it never will.

How could anyone be happy with this? What a dumpster fire by supposedly the best run org in the NFL. To have the transition plan from Brady be this awful is completely unacceptable. 3 years we didn't draft anyone at the most important position.

13 years? You must be a youngster, which of course is fine.

I have been around longer, unfortunately, but as long as the team shows heart I am OK. They showed it sometimes today. Reminds me a little too much of 2002 when they could not and would not stop the run. I preferred 1994.

but yes, I hear what you are saying.

I also “like” that we have the pandemic excuse
Arrrrgggh! Bad 2002 memories of DL Steve Martin who was posed to stop the run but instead got run over.
I was in SD with a group from the archaic Patriots Mailing List where we lost because TFB threw 2 questionable picks* and the hapless D let emerging star Ladanian T ran all over them. Milloy's notably ineffectual & SLOW play at SS to my take was a harbinger of his "surprise" cut September 2003.
Performance < $$$.

* Tom's sub-par performance got me, a Brady's Lady, lots of attempted abuse from fellow Pats fans who were Bledsoe Krishnas, still sore over savior Drew's departure with BB keeping the "one game wonder" Brady instead. Tommy did get picked up at the team hotel by skanky Tara Reid pre- game.

Hey, I was around for Tony Eason, so the past two decades have been a dream. Will be interesting to see the rebuild. It's not just the QB, though tanking for Trevor is within reach.

Hey, I was around for Tony Eason, so the past two decades have been a dream. Will be interesting to see the rebuild. It's not just the QB, though tanking for Trevor is within reach.
Tony Eason this year would have been a dream

Tony Eason this year would have been a dream
I was thinking the same thing! Instead we get to see what the Michael Bishop or Tim Tebow experiment would have looked like.
This may be the most heavily scrutinized offseason ever! They better get some solid hits in the draft.

I am openly rooting for 2-14 and am in full on tank for Trevor mode! :cool:

Its such a weird year any way, no cap room, during FA, no fans in the stands, the games feel more like watching a pre-season practice with the empty stadiums etc...

Bring on Trevor!

With that said I don't see BB going for it but maybe Cam will keep ****ting himself in key moments and it will be out of his hands.

I'm not okay with it. We have been deficient with talent on the O side of the ball (except for Brady and the line) for several years now, and we did nothing to fix it, all the while knowing last year was Brady's last (he says he knew it, so how did they not know). No replacement QB (yeah, we had Jimmy G, but the timing did not work out, and that was 3 years ago and we did not get anyone good to replace him), no replacement WRs, no replacement TEs. No one capable or evaluating offensive talent. Every other team seems to add bright young receivers and solid TEs on a yearly basis, but we've got squat. That's a failure on the upper levels that has nothing to do with COVID. And don't blame Brady any more for not wanting to work with the young guys. It seems to me he went to a new team and had to work with all new guys. After a few bumps his first time on the field with them, it's working out fine. Meanwhile, NKeal Harry can't get on the field and can't work with Cam or Stidham either. Looks like it was their lack of talent, not the old cranky QB.

Lets get an old retread veteran named ROGERS. :thumbsup:

We're actually 4-5 counting future victories against the jets, the rest might be 50/50.

The only thing that upsets me about 2-5 is that Belichick is being so stubborn about keeping Cam in there. Honestly, what coach would leave his QB in there when he’s statistically the worst QB in the NFL ? That is a Jet like move. That’s my only frustration.

The Stidham situation has been mismanaged since Cam signed. They were saying great things about Stidham all offseason, saying he’s making great progress, we feel good about Stidham, blah blah blah. Then they sign Cam, and basically never gave Stidham a chance. Then the season starts, and they don’t even dress him for the first few games. So they ****ed with his confidence.

BUT, if it were Stidham who wasn’t in the top 20 in passing yards, if it were Stidham not in the top 30 (TOP THIRTY !) in TD passes, if it were Stidham who was tied for 2nd in INTS, you know damned well Stidham would be getting benched.

That’s where my frustration lies with 2-5. If Cam were playing great, or even above average for an NFL QB, I’d be ok with 2-5. But he’s just a bad QB, and there’s no accountability.
Yes cammy has sucked but there is no certainty Stidham would do any better.

We're actually 4-5 counting future victories against the jets, the rest might be 50/50.
We are 2-5 against a schedule that has gone 34-18
3 of the losses (2 of them to 6-1 and 6-2 teams) were blundered away with a great chance to win in the final drive. One of which came when the team couldn’t practice for 2 weeks.
one was against possibly the best team in the league, when we had to play 2 backup QBs because the starter who got all the reps was out with covid.
8-8 could be a playoff team this year.
As you say we are essentially 4-5.
going 4-3 in the other 7 is easily attainable.

Your thread title - "Am I the only one who is OK with this?" - is ridiculous. The answer is a simple "yes," though there may be a few masochists out there who are with you.

The body of your post I pretty much agree with. I was a fan when they were the Boston Patriots and for the many years following when they were stuck at varying degrees of helplessness. I still cared about every game and rummaged through the mess for hopeful scraps. It'll be interesting to watch them rise again. That said, the only workable basis for hope is honesty about where we are. The team stinks, Cam sucks, Harry blows, Bill the GM bites the big one, Bill the Coach seems adrift. Take it from there.
Should have said "accepted" it. I can see how okay would make me look like a masochist. I want to win obviously but am content with a rebuild.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back