PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

12 Men on the Field on the 1st Hail Mary - Needs to be addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it's should just be for all D penalties cause if you think about it you could do 12 men on the the field followed by going offside then a D holding call and have the same results and how could you tell if it was on purpose

If this rule stays the same, I would jsut put 20 men on the field in the last 2 mins of the game.

couldn't Brady just spike it repeatedly then?

I hope they do address that. A pre-snap penalty on the defense should result in the clock being reset to what it was before the snap, IMO.

I was just reading an article on that play and it's bizarre that you can have 12 men on defense with the game on the line, and it only costs you 5 yards while the other team (the Patriots) still loses every second despite the penalty. Doesn't make much sense. :rolleyes:

It should be a free play for the offense. If it does not work they should be allowed to take the 5 yards and keep the time, because the foul happened before the snap.

didnt justin tuck have his helmet off and 1 foot on the sidelines walking off? i dont think there were actually 12 men defending. just a 12th mans leg halfway off the field.

didnt justin tuck have his helmet off and 1 foot on the sidelines walking off? i dont think there were actually 12 men defending. just a 12th mans leg halfway off the field.

Either way it is the penalty just the same. A holding call that is away from the ball still brings back a TD.

Either way it is the penalty just the same. A holding call that is away from the ball still brings back a TD.
yeah i agree. in the final 2 minutes of a game, if a team does this you should get the time back, and perhaps a 15 yarder.

i dont think the giants were trying to be cheap in this scenario though.

12 men in the huddle is a pre snap penalty on the offense...why isn't it the same for the defense?

The defense can't blatantly abuse it because the QB could simply snap & spike which would pick up 5 free yards at a cost of 1 second.

Doing it once is smart situational football, and gives you plausible deniability. Doing it again just raises questions (not that those questions aren't already here now..).

It obviously has to be addressed. The time has to go back on the clock for that. That was ridiculous.

Flops are another thing altogether. And there were some horrible non-flop calls this year.

But guys in the NFL are just catching up to what NBA players have been doing for years.

Anyone remember Dennis Rodman? He was the original King of the Floppers. To stop flops, the NFL would have to permit replays after each play (not gonna happen) or maybe there could be a neutral "Post-Game Flop Committee" that would decide if something was actually a flop a day or two after the infraction, and then the flopper (or floppies) would get a hefty fine.

That *might* work, but is also unlikely.

So, I agree that the Flop is here to stay.

The flop is easy to protect against. Just make it so that any player who goes down on the field and stops play is forced to sit out the remainder of the series.

The defense can't blatantly abuse it because the QB could simply snap & spike which would pick up 5 free yards at a cost of 1 second.

If the Pats ever see it again that's exactly what Brady should do. It's a stupid rule and I agree with whoever said we should at least get the time back.

Of course someday if BB ever wants to use that very same play to HIS advantage, he may not want to change a thing lol. Same with a flip-flop or two when you need it. Note "when you need it", not as part of your game plan like "some" teams do. :rolleyes:

Like everyone else though I had NO idea what was going on, at first I thought something good had happened:eek: Credit where due, it was a brilliant move by Coughlin.

Do you think the Pats noticed the 12? If they did I suppose Brady really would've spiked it?

I was just reading an article on that play and it's bizarre that you can have 12 men on defense with the game on the line, and it only costs you 5 yards while the other team (the Patriots) still loses every second despite the penalty. Doesn't make much sense. :rolleyes:

And at least 2 seconds ticked off after Brady spiked the ball that was never put back on the clock. The Pats should have never got themselves into that position but, they were definitely screwed out of at least 2 plays.

The offense gets a 10 second run off when committing penalties in certain situations, so why not add 10 seconds to the clock when the defense commits a penalty in certain situations?

Mike Golic says that when he played under Buddy Ryan , Ryan instructed them to run extra guys on the field for this very reason. 5 yards was nothing, but 10 or so seconds was precious.

ya know what, if the giants did this on purpose they are ******* geniuses, thats so damn smart im surprised belicheck didnt think of it.

its cheap but still damn brilliant...........either way if brady could noticed it prior to the snap he could just hiked it and spiked it........but brilliant on the giants part.

I had an astute co-worker make the same observation. He said, why not send 16 players out there every play of that last drive. Only send out 11 on the actual last play of the game (less than 6 seconds).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back