PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

12/8 Revised Possible Pats Offseason

I still like my idea from several weeks ago for addressing the running back position. That is, offer Maroney to Oakland in exchange for Michael Bush. Both running backs have one year remaining. Maroney (24) is younger but Bush (25) makes a tad lesser in salary. If Oakland believes that McFadden (22) is their future at the position, then they could afford to part with Bush knowing that they'll have another young running back in Maroney to complement him.

Patriots current RBs

Maroney - 1 year remaining
Morris - 1 year remaining
Faulk - FA
Taylor - 1 year remaining
Green-Ellis - 1 year remaining

Of these players, I would resign Faulk, trade Maroney and waive everyone else. Retool.

I believe Bush can bring back that physical (power running) style the Patriots had with Dillon. However, this isn't to imply I see him necessarily as New England's featured running back or longterm answer beyond next season. Because I don't know how well he's as a blocker. Still, he's a good enough player to have as a part of a young depth at the position. And he'll be motivated to earn a new contract. Ideally, New England could draft at least two running backs next year.

M. Bush

2010 salary: $550,000

L. Maroney

2010 salary: $825,000

I would consider Reggie Bush if his health weren't always a concern. For that reason, I prefer to resign Faulk who's the team's third down receiver already. Bush is no more than a receiving running back who isn't worth a high salary.

The raiders love physical freaks, i dont think they'll be intrested in Maroney, who didn't run the fastest when he was at the combine.

The raiders are the easiest team to predict, they will always like the fastest, tallest players.

And also i know its a bit early for this sort of thing but i think the Pats will love Jermaine Gresham, the TE from oklahoma. He's better than Pettigrew was (he went around 20) but i think he tore his ACL. BB loves athletic TE's, and i think this guy is the real deal.

In a no-cap year, the only question is whether he is worth $5M a year of new money. The bonus money is long gone.

If I'm not mistaken, cutting Thomas would cost us $8.8M - $4.9M for a total of about -$4M.

His bonus is a little tricky so someone may correct me but Miguel seems to suggest his bonus counts for $4.4M per year and after this year he has two years left. That's $8.8M and we'd recoup the $4.9M salary.

In a no-cap year, the only question is whether he is worth $5M a year of new money. The bonus money is long gone.
Until I hear otherwise, I'm working under the old rules; I'm too old to change directions quickly (although I think you are older than me ;)). But, yeah, if there's no cap issue that makes it easier to move on.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm working under the old rules; I'm too old to change directions quickly (although I think you are older than me ;)). But, yeah, if there's no cap issue that makes it easier to move on.

I'd assume an uncapped season if I were you. The old rules are gone. If there is a new CBA for 2010, there will be new rules.

The only player I'd want to trade with the Raiders for at the moment is Asomugha, who would improve the D a lot just on the basis he shuts down his side of the field, which would leave Bodden with Merriweather over the top at the other side, that has the makings of a top secondary, then in FA pick up a player like Peppers (UFA?) or Merriman (RFA) will add pass rush which would make the secondary look even better, as well as hopefully a healthy Crable and a rookie or 2 from the draft - which if Merriman and/or Peppers are picked up, could be used to totally rebuild the O line and pick up a #3 WR.

If the off season worked out perfectly (in my opinion) the signings before the draft would be:
Merriman (FA)
Peppers (FA)
Asomugha (trade)

Big-T, I'm all for getting those players, but the chances of us being able to get all 3 are the same as me starting at QB for the Patriots next year.

I'd say it'll be tough to even get one of those, tbh.

Last edited:
Big-T, I'm all for getting those players, but the chances of us being able to get all 3 are the same as me starting at QB for the Patriots next year.

I'd say it'll be tough to even get one of those, tbh.

Yeah it would be hard (nearly impossible probably) to get all 3, but if it were to happen the D would jump from decent to one of the best in the league almost immediately.

Yeah it would be hard (nearly impossible probably) to get all 3, but if it were to happen the D would jump from decent to one of the best in the league almost immediately.

As long as you aren't restricting yourself by reality, why don't we pick up Haloti Ngata and Troy Polamalu while we're at it? Then draft Rolando McClain, and field the following 3-4:

DL: Warren, Wilfork, Ngata
DE/OLB: Merriman, Peppers
ILB: Mayo, McClain
S: Polamalu, Merriweather
CB: Asomugha, Butler

As long as you aren't restricting yourself by reality, why don't we pick up Haloti Ngata and Troy Polamalu while we're at it? Then draft Rolando McClain, and field the following 3-4:

DL: Warren, Wilfork, Ngata
DE/OLB: Merriman, Peppers
ILB: Mayo, McClain
S: Polamalu, Merriweather
CB: Asomugha, Butler

:p That would be great but Asomugha will probably be far easier to trade for compared to Ngata & Polalmalu :D

And also i know its a bit early for this sort of thing but i think the Pats will love Jermaine Gresham, the TE from oklahoma. He's better than Pettigrew was (he went around 20) but i think he tore his ACL. BB loves athletic TE's, and i think this guy is the real deal.

Have we even used our TE's this year? No sense taking one if you don't use him imo. I don't get the coaching this year.

Have we even used our TE's this year? No sense taking one if you don't use him imo. I don't get the coaching this year.

What's the point of spending a first rounder on a guy you won't even use? We have Watson and we brought in Baker and neither are used that much. Might as well spend our 1st round pick on a greater need like OLB or the O-line. I agree Gresham is sick, but I think we gotta look elsewhere in round 1.

Last edited:

On paper, yeah maybe. Peppers has struggled as has Meriman and we all know how difficult DB's have who just join our system.

How about using a 2011 first?

:p That would be great but Asomugha will probably be far easier to trade for compared to Ngata & Polalmalu :D

So then why didn't Belichick select Cornelius Ingram who New England reportedly had an interest in? I remember he was viewed as a draft day steal to the team that selected him as he slid in the draft.

So then why didn't Belichick select Cornelius Ingram who New England reportedly had an interest in? I remember he was viewed as a draft day steal to the team that selected him as he slid in the draft.

I dunno. Maybe they liked him and he was just picked before they were gonna take him.

Mind you he got hurt again for the Eagles so maybe NE wouldn't take him on medical grounds.

That's the thing, it's hard to tell with these guys that get injured. From what I've read Greshams wasn't as bad as Ingrams, plus i think he hurt it in he first game so he's had all year to rehab.

What's the point of spending a first rounder on a guy you won't even use? We have Watson and we brought in Baker and neither are used that much. Might as well spend our 1st round pick on a greater need like OLB or the O-line. I agree Gresham is sick, but I think we gotta look elsewhere in round 1.

Remember, there were a lot of rumours that Watson wasn't even going to make the team this year, and Baker is more of a blocker. If we had a Witten, Tony G or Gates on this team I'm sure the TE would be used in the passing game.

I'm not saying Gresham is as good as those guys, but i think he's a better receiver than Watson, even though he's not as fast. This team badly needs a third option, and if you got a Gresham you could keep Aiken in a home run hitter 4th option role, which I think is better for him.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but....

TE is not a 1st round need.

It might be. This team definitely needs another reliable receiving threat that Brady can trust. It wouldn't be my choice of a first rounder, but if he's the best player on the board when the Pats draft, I'd be OK with it.

But what I really want BB to do, and I hate myself for saying so, is get Ray Lewis. He'll most likely be a free agent after the season, and it's become pretty f'ing evident we need some veteran leadership on this team (where are you Junior?). His run defense skills have seriously deteriorated, but I think he's still one of the top 5 coverage linebackers in the NFL, and nobody hates losing more than he does. There will be no laughing and clowning around in the locker room or flight home after a loss. He's also a Super Bowl champion and knows what sacrifice it takes to win.

I think there's too much of a leadership mantle on Mayo right now. If BB can get Lewis to come to Foxboro on a 2 yr, reasonable $ deal, I think he should do it. Say what you will about the man, and I've said it all over the last five years, but he is a consummate Pro.

Last edited:
It's a need, but not a bigger need than OLB and DE... possibly CB if we cant re sign Bodden.

TE are dime a dozen. 3-4 OLB's are not. If given the choice, I'll take the OLB every time. Look how pathetic our pass rush is this year.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back