PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

100% Health - Amendola or Edelman in the slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
When Amendola returns do you think he should get his starting job back as the slot WR over Edelmam? Taking a look at their athletic ability and career stats you could make the case that the $700K a year receiver is a better player then the $5M a year receiver.

Amendola
Height: 5104
Weight: 183
40 Yrd Dash: 4.68
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 27 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone Drill: 6.81

NFL Career #'s
Games: 43
Receptions: 206
Targeted: 307
Receiving Yards: 1830
Yards Per: 8.9
Touchdowns: 7
First Downs: 105

Edelman
Height: 5103
Weight: 195
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.92
3-Cone Drill: 6.62

NFL Career #'s
Games: 52
Receptions: 103
Targeted: 151
Receiving Yards: 1033
Yards Per: 10.0
Touchdowns: 6
First Downs: 48

Now I know it is very obvious we will fit them both into the offense so the question is probably a moot point but I thought it would be nice to discuss a GOOD problem to have since we've had so many negatives happen to this team over the past 6 months.

I hope you are not serious.

With Gronknandez out, there's plenty of room in the middle of the field. When Gronk returns, I expect to see Edelman more often as the slot and Amendola lining up in a variety of positions, including on the outside.

@ Brady6 well knowing both are not known for their Durability atleast if something happens to one we will have the other. Not a bad problem to have, some have sold Edelman short around here but he his proving them wrong every week. His route running and awareness is getting better and better. I wouldn't wait too long to give him an extension.

First, the players combine stats and measurable are not a factor in the decision.

Amendola is by far the better player. The Patriots have been playing mostly 3 receiver sets. So, all three can play at the same time, I'd sub out Edelmen for Dobson on occasion.

What do you mean? I asked a question, honestly I'm not really sure who I would start in the slot.
I mean it is a ridiculous question if meant seriously.

What do you mean? I asked a question, honestly I'm not really sure who I would start in the slot.

I mean it is a ridiculous question if meant seriously.

Andy could have been a little gentler, but I think he is right that Amendola is clearly the superior player.

My question is, why does it have to be one or the other? NE is going to mix and match, giving both plenty of opportunities.

@ Brady6 well knowing both are not known for their Durability atleast if something happens to one we will have the other. Not a bad problem to have, some have sold Edelman short around here but he his proving them wrong every week. His route running and awareness is getting better and better. I wouldn't wait too long to give him an extension.

I'm interested to know, have you changed your opinion on Blount yet?

Amendola will obviously get more playing time being the far superior player, but as far as where he and Edelman line up when on the field at the same time, I think the fact that both can play outside or inside is an advantage to the team. They don't have to give either of them a clear role as an outside or inside receiver, but base it on matchups.

I'm interested to know, have you changed your opinion on Blount yet?

I am still a Brandon Bolden guy but that run from Blount was a thing of beauty he shot out there like a cannon. BB was right he has above average speed for Big Man. That was great up the middle run I hate when they try to run him outside he's ineffective in that role.

I liked the way they worked off each other in the Bills game, with the combination routes.

Use them both out there. These guys can line up outside sometimes too. Edelman can line up in the backfield and do end-around stuff too.

The answer is Amendola, and it isn't even close.

Whenever you go four-wide, you essentially have two slot receiver spots. Whenever you're 3 wide, Amendola and Edelman both have routes they are good at from the outside. Less than 3 wide, one of them will likely sit, but ideally you don't want either of them playing every snap anyway.

well if they can ever get them both at 100% they can both be on the field at the same time its not like the pats are full of all pro WR's now that the rookies had one good game, the price for FA's will go up again next year when more teams have more CAP space and 5 million per will be and still is a good price for a WR with the talent of Amendola its just the guy only plays 9 or 10 games per season so u get what u pay for I guess lol

I'm looking forward to both being out there. Remember one play where they were lined up on opposite sides of the field. They end up crossing on the inside slant, Edelman stopped and Amendola kept going and got the 20 yard pass. It was really interesting to watch the confusion on the defense of that play.

What is this "100% health - Amendola" thing you speak of?

As others have said, the answer is Amendola, though Edelman should still see plenty of reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3