PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 straight on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they didn't suck but I disagree anyway: Any given Sunday.

Any given Sunday is true, but if we were such the superior team to the Giants, we would have been up by 21+ going into the 4th quarter.

Any given Sunday is true, but if we were such the superior team to the Giants, we would have been up by 21+ going into the 4th quarter.

"Any given Sunday" means that even terribly inferior teams can win, let alone make a game more "respectable."

Week 16 must have been an Any given Sunday thing as well then, right? Why do you and fans like you have trouble admitting that the Giants are just as good as we are?

I'm not saying that when faced with it, they didnt rise to the challenge. My point is, that to even get to be able to win 10 straight on the road, they had to suck to begin with.

yeah it's kinda like having the record for the most 38 point comebacks in a season.

you had to be crappy to even be in the position to break that impressive record.

The Giants played a great game in the Super Bowl but let's call a spade a spade, please.

They beat a 9-7 Tampa Bay Bucs team that had a solid defense but truly struggled to do anything on offense. They then went into Dallas and beat Dallas - a team whose quarterback can cough up a game pretty easily, whose head coach thought the way to beat the Patriots was to take away their running game, and whose mercurial WR was coming off of an injury. A Dallas choke in the playoffs was the easiest thing to predict last season.

They then went into Green Bay and won because Brett Favre became the Brett Favre we had all come to expect the last four years. They played terribly in that game and Favre handed them the ball in field goal range in OT.

They then won against the Patriots because of a miracle catch. I give them all the credit in the world for keeping the game close up to that point and playing lights out defense until the fourth quarter, but they won because David Tyree caught a ball on his helmet after Eli Manning squirmed out of at least two tackles.

In the end, being the worst Super Bowl winner ever is better than the best Super Bowl loser, but there is a reason why the Giants winning is the biggest upset in NFL history. Paying your respects to them shouldn't blind you of that fact.

Don't do what Pats haters have done for years with the Pats by minimizing wins. How many times did people talk about the Patriots' competition over their 18 wins in a row? If we are going discount the Giants wins over Tampa and Green Bay, do we discount the Pats wins over the Dolphins, Jets, Ravens, Eagles, Bills, and Bengals because none of them were even nearly as good as the Bucs?

BTW, the Bucs were 9-7, but they could have very, very easily have been 11-5. Don't forget they purposely tanked the last two games by resting their starters because they were playing for nothing. Many of the starters didn't even play the last game of the season at all.

Also, the Packers were arguably the best team in the NFC last year. Maybe Favre became the Brett Favre we all have known the last few years because of the Giants' defense. The Giants made Brady look like the Brett Favre of the last few years because of their defense too.

Also, in the Super Bowl, the Giants played the Pats tougher than virtually anyone this past year even teams like the Chargers and Cowboys. Even without the miracle catch, the Giants played the Patriots very tough and would have only lost by 3 points.

Let's give these guys their due. Let's not turn into all those fans of other teams we have had to put up with over the years (most notably Raiders and Steelers fans) who label or wins as flukes, luck, or just the opponents had down games.

The Giants are not as good as the Patriots. Period.

I am not going to ignore objectivity (and that's what it is when you look at the whole of what they accomplished last year and the competition they did it against) just to accommodate the expectations of respect you think they deserve because they beat the Patriots in the final game of the season.

It's tough to win four games away from home regardless of competition but that doesn't change the fact that they were an unimpressive team whose defense played impressively in one game.

I am not going to ignore objectivity (and that's what it is when you look at the whole of what they accomplished last year and the competition they did it against) just to accommodate the expectations of respect you think they deserve because they beat the Patriots in the final game of the season.

It's tough to win four games away from home regardless of competition but that doesn't change the fact that they were an unimpressive team whose defense played impressively in one game.

Just one game? Ask Tony Romo how many games they really played impressively.

Yea, He lost me on that one. :confused:

In order to play road games in the playoffs, you have to have LOST enough to not get any home games....thats all im saying.

And the Pats weren't as good as the Rams were in the 2001 season either. They were an unimpressive team that year too. People cried about the tuck rule and 2 special teams TDs in the playoffs. It didn't change the fact that the Pats won the Super Bowl.

I'm sorry, but the Giants were a good team who had a great gameplan against the best team in the league in the Super Bowl (where did I hear that one before?). Why diminish what they did?

Virtually no one on the planet are arguing that the Giants were actually a better team than the Pats. By noting their amazing 10 game road game win streak, why does it have to be taken as diminishing the Pats' accomplishment and talent.

If you want to go on about unimpressive wins and shotty competition. You want talk about two wins against a team with only one win all season or being saved from a loss during the streak by an ill advised timeout by an assistant? You can go through a lot of the Pats wins last season and pick them apart too. But why? I feel the same way about the Giants' record.

In order to play road games in the playoffs, you have to have LOST enough to not get any home games....thats all im saying.

Since they were in the same division as the Cowboys, it was conceivable for them to play every playoff game on the road with only 3 losses. If the Giants went 13-3 last year and lost the head to head battle or tiebreaker with the Cowboys, they would have had to play as many games on the road.

If Buffalo went 15-1 last year, they would have played all their playoff games on the road last year because the Pats went 16-0. So by your logic, if the Bills went 15-1 last year, they wouldn't have been that good because they had to play their playoff games one the road.

Again, the Giants had the third best record in the NFC last year. They were just in a division with a team that had the best record in the NFC.

yeah it's kinda like having the record for the most 38 point comebacks in a season.

you had to be crappy to even be in the position to break that impressive record.

thank you for understanding my point.

Aren't the Patriots riding a 19 game regular season winning streak? Looking for them to extend that a few more games this year to put that record totally out of reach (as if it isn't already)!!

In order to get in the playoffs you have to have won enough games.

And the Pats weren't as good as the Rams were in the 2001 season either. They were an unimpressive team that year too. People cried about the tuck rule and 2 special teams TDs in the playoffs. It didn't change the fact that the Pats won the Super Bowl.

There are some big differences between the two teams. One Pats were a division winner and the Giants were a Wild Card team. Two the Pats had a bye meaning they were the 2nd best afc team thru the regular season. Third the Pats went on to validate that it wasn't a fluke.

Now back to the point at hand I think the Giants deserve the credit for winning the game but I don't think that means we have to roll over for them and call them the better team. A flukey win from a team that was playing hard nosed smash mouth football and new how to give themselves a chance and than capitalized on that chance.

Last edited:
2001, when an 11-5, #2 seed beat a 14-2 team in the Super Bowl, has nothing to do with discussing the Giants (10-6, wild card) and their improbable defeat of an undefeated team.

But they were 10-6, all of the other hypotheticals don't change the fact that they were 10-6 and a wildcard team. They were an unimpressive team in an unimpressive conference who got to the big game and won it. They were able to take advantage of what they were dealt but they didn't do it very well. That is all I'm saying and just because they beat the Pats last season doesn't mean they were just as good (as, I believe, Kontradiction said). They were better in that one game.

Heap all the praise you want on them, but I would take the Jaguars, Colts, Chargers, Patriots or Packers over the Giants in any one game - before last year's playoffs and after. Their accomplishments far outweigh the quality of that team (and no, I'm not afraid of admitting the same thing about the '01 Pats).

Last edited:
There are some big differences between the two teams. One Pats were a division winner and the Giants were a Wild Card team. Two the Pats had a bye meaning they were the 2nd best afc team thru the regular season. Third the Pats went on to validate that it wasn't a fluke.

Now back to the point at hand I think the Giants deserve the credit for winning the game but I don't think that means we have to roll over for them and call them the better team. A flukey win from a team that was playing hard nosed smash mouth football and new how to give themselves a chance and than capitalized on that chance.

You quoted the wrong person, but oh well. The Pats were 11-5 in 2001 and the Giants were 10-6. There isn't all that much difference. If say the Dolphins were 13-3 in 2001 like the Cowboys were last year, the Pats would have been a Wild Card team too. The Pats record in 2001 wasn't good enough to win the NFC East in 2007.

As for the Giants proving they aren't a fluke, only time will tell.

I don't think the Giants are an elite team in the NFL, but that doesn't change their road win streak wasn't impressive. I don't know why some Pats fans have to tear down that streak. I don't know why some Pats fans think it is some kind of an afront to the Patriots. And I definitely don't get why some Pats fans are using the same bogus arguments that Patriots haters have used against the Patriots that were BS then and still BS now.

I think the Pats would beat the Giants 9 times out of 10 times they would meet. But I tip my cap to them for what they accomplished last year. It was very similiar to what the Pats did in the 2001 season. The Pats were able to repeat and build on that success and the Giants may not, but it doesn't take away from the season itself. Why act like Raiders and Steelers fans and not give the Giants their props?

You quoted the wrong person, but oh well. The Pats were 11-5 in 2001 and the Giants were 10-6. There isn't all that much difference. If say the Dolphins were 13-3 in 2001 like the Cowboys were last year, the Pats would have been a Wild Card team too. The Pats record in 2001 wasn't good enough to win the NFC East in 2007.

As for the Giants proving they aren't a fluke, only time will tell.

I don't think the Giants are an elite team in the NFL, but that doesn't change their road win streak wasn't impressive. I don't know why some Pats fans have to tear down that streak. I don't know why some Pats fans think it is some kind of an afront to the Patriots. And I definitely don't get why some Pats fans are using the same bogus arguments that Patriots haters have used against the Patriots that were BS then and still BS now.

I think the Pats would beat the Giants 9 times out of 10 times they would meet. But I tip my cap to them for what they accomplished last year. It was very similiar to what the Pats did in the 2001 season. The Pats were able to repeat and build on that success and the Giants may not, but it doesn't take away from the season itself. Why act like Raiders and Steelers fans and not give the Giants their props?

I agree you can give the giants credit for winning the super bowl and still say the Pats were the better team. And I for one think 10 straight road wins is very impressive.

Sorry if this has already been brought up...but dont people realize that the giants 10 straight on the road winning streak that they boast about is only possible because they had to be bad enough to get zero home playoff games?

you know whats better? 18 straight games home and away.

Just saw nfln and the giants were showing their rings, and I had to post this.

old news old news

The Giants really came together at the end of the year, and I definitely can't say anything bad about that. Their defense was just unbelievable.

I'll be interested to see if they can carry it over into this season...

Are you serious? Giants defense is so overrated it's not funny. Yeah they hit brady like a pineata (sp?) but that's because our oline choked. The giants D was not that great against Dallas, TB or Green Bay. Our oline decided to take the day off and that made the giants front 4 look great. Their linebackers were slow and I still can't believe we did not exploit that (thanks McDaniels). Plus their secondary was not that great either - they had the day off since brady couldn't get our receivers the ball thanks to our oline. Without strahan, the giants D will not be able get them a division title or bye this year./=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back