PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

why i think we get a receiver in 1st two rounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

notex

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
its really simple speculation to be honest. But Brady took a paycut so that BB could provide him with weapons around him...dont you think it makes sense that if they traded his favorite receiver they would compensate for letting branch go? i do, i know for a fact brady was upset about branch and i think they will do him a favor and provide him with some support this draft. an eye for an eye if you will...

keep in mind our "aging" defense was one of the best in the leauge this season, minus the colts game we didnt surrender many points at all...plus we get rodney,wilson,gay back...i dont see where a rookie CB or S would even start...unless samuel is gone which i dont see happening. If samuel leaves ithink we draft WR, CB, LB with our first 3. I think BB has confidence in sanders and wilson for now...i bet BB is drooling over reggie nelson though...

it's possible, but I doubt it. Yes, Brady was, apparently, assuming some "weapons" - and he GOT them:

The Patriots drafted Maroney, Jackson, Thomas and Mills, and signed Caldwell. They didn't foresee the Branch faisco, but I don't think you can say they purposely let that get away. I'm sure they presumed, wrongly, that Brady's assumption didn't translate to "pay the weapons whatever unreasonable amount they want."

I don't see the Patriots as having NOT gotten Brady weapons. I just think the primary one of them, Chad Jackson, is going to take a little while longer to develop into said weapon. He's a rookie who missed T.C. and apparently always has a bit of a learning curve issue. Brady will be fine - especially now, what with Caldwell and Gaffney looking up.

you have a point. i was sorta assuming they thought they would resign branch though. do we really need 3 players on defense in the first couple rounds more then a receiver...if im not mistaken it was our offense that was holding us back a bit this year...

Not to mention Gaffney being added in the mix late. I think we get a Wr but not until the third. Then again, Pioli and BB are running the insane assylum so who know's really.

its really simple speculation to be honest. But Brady took a paycut so that BB could provide him with weapons around him...dont you think it makes sense that if they traded his favorite receiver they would compensate for letting branch go? i do, i know for a fact brady was upset about branch and i think they will do him a favor and provide him with some support this draft. an eye for an eye if you will...

Brady did not take a pay cut at any point in time. That is just baloney. Also, BB DID give him weapons last year. He gave him a top-rated WR, a top rated RB, and 2 TEs. All people could talk about was how BB went almost all offense in last year's draft.

The Patriots traded Branch because they were out of options. Branch absolutely refused to negotiate. Brady understood that. Yes, it stunk that Gabriel didn't pan out and that Reche didn't really have anyone opposite him for most of the year. However, both now have a lot of time in the system, as does Chad Jackson. This training camp will be big. Also, don't be surprised if the Pats don't take a WR early and wait until the 3rd round to take someone like David Ball or the 4th to take Chris Davis. Also, don't be surprised if the Pats go after someone like Kevin Curtis in free agency. Curtis would give the Pats 3 competant #2 type WRs. This will help take pressure off Brady and the running game.

Also, don't be surprised if they go with Brian Leonard in the 2nd round. The kid is a monster and would be a good alternative to Maroney out of the backfield. Leonard runs good routes, has very good hands, and can block. His blitz pick-ups, like any rookie, will need help, but having him and Maroney on the field at the same time would really make the back-field lethel.

keep in mind our "aging" defense was one of the best in the leauge this season, minus the colts game we didnt surrender many points at all...plus we get rodney,wilson,gay back...i dont see where a rookie CB or S would even start...unless samuel is gone which i dont see happening. If samuel leaves ithink we draft WR, CB, LB with our first 3. I think BB has confidence in sanders and wilson for now...i bet BB is drooling over reggie nelson though...[/quote]

Brady did not take a pay cut at any point in time. That is just baloney. Also, BB DID give him weapons last year. He gave him a top-rated WR, a top rated RB, and 2 TEs. All people could talk about was how BB went almost all offense in last year's draft.

The Patriots traded Branch because they were out of options. Branch absolutely refused to negotiate. Brady understood that. Yes, it stunk that Gabriel didn't pan out and that Reche didn't really have anyone opposite him for most of the year. However, both now have a lot of time in the system, as does Chad Jackson. This training camp will be big. Also, don't be surprised if the Pats don't take a WR early and wait until the 3rd round to take someone like David Ball or the 4th to take Chris Davis. Also, don't be surprised if the Pats go after someone like Kevin Curtis in free agency. Curtis would give the Pats 3 competant #2 type WRs. This will help take pressure off Brady and the running game.

Also, don't be surprised if they go with Brian Leonard in the 2nd round. The kid is a monster and would be a good alternative to Maroney out of the backfield. Leonard runs good routes, has very good hands, and can block. His blitz pick-ups, like any rookie, will need help, but having him and Maroney on the field at the same time would really make the back-field lethel.

keep in mind our "aging" defense was one of the best in the leauge this season, minus the colts game we didnt surrender many points at all...plus we get rodney,wilson,gay back...i dont see where a rookie CB or S would even start...unless samuel is gone which i dont see happening. If samuel leaves ithink we draft WR, CB, LB with our first 3. I think BB has confidence in sanders and wilson for now...i bet BB is drooling over reggie nelson though...
[/quote]

If the Pats can get a DB and LB in the 1st round, then I think Leonard would be a great 2nd round pick. We need a running partner for Maroney, and Dillon is fading.

In this scenario I'd much rather take Leonard and wait until later for a WR.

Last edited:
If the Pats can get a DB and LB in the 1st round, then I think Leonard would be a great 2nd round pick. We need a running partner for Maroney, and Dillon is fading.

I agree with you on this. But we never seem to take what we Necessarily need.

i like your observations, unless samuel is looking to do what brady did and take a pay cut, i really dont see him in a pats uniform, i hope i'm wrong though :D

the loss of samuel will hurt our defense though, b/c in the playoffs we saw that samuel was able to go 1on1 with coles and harrison,

rivers didnt even throw it samuel's way, b/c what happens when you throw it samuel's way?...well ask noodlearm and manning....they'll tell you samuel will int return for the td...

without samuel, most likely hobbs will move to #1...and we'll be seeing a lot of double x plays, so the pats wont be able to jam the box with 8 defenders... as much...openening up the run...

unless bb see's a db potentially falling to their spot in the 2nd round, i really dont think they'll take a wr in the 1st..but you do really make an interesting point,

then again nothing is ever set in stone when the draft is here

I agree with you on this. But we never seem to take what we Necessarily need.

i like leonard, hb that can pass/run block and catch as well as any tight end can...

i believe both evans and pass's contracts are expired now...and mills will be coming off ir....getting leonard will onlly solidify our backfield

Last edited:
Patriot RB situation making us a bit predictable

It seems the Patriots RB are all one dimensional. Marony the cutback runner, lacking blitz pickup and receiving skills. Dillon, reduced to basically a short yardage runner, decent blitz pickup but limited as a receiver. Faulk 3rd down receiver, decent blitz pick up, doesn't run that much. Pass, ST demon, Evans, FB, lead blocker, limited runner.

In his first season with us Dollon was an ideal multipurpose threat. Great inside runner, but could also cut it back or outside if need be. Decent hands and did an above average job of blitz pickup.

Maybe if we had a back to spell Maroney but could bring some measure of 1st season Dillon like qualities to the table, our offense could open up more of the playbook on second and third downs.

Is that back Leonard, I don't know.

Leornard is a huge upgrade over Evans and Pass as a runner, but he's not in the same class with Maroney.
Leonard is not nearly Pass's equal on ST nor is he as good as Evans on blitz pick up.

But clearly Leonard has the upside to grow into a first season Dillon type back. (Provided he runs well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back