PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has our tackling been poor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cblesz

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
This seems to be a continuous problem. Watching the games it seems as though running backs and receivers are constantly gaining extra yards. Has this been covered yet?

cblesz said:
This seems to be a continuous problem. Watching the games it seems as though running backs and receivers are constantly gaining extra yards. Has this been covered yet?

I agree with you about our tackling at times. I was very critical about our secondary's tackling in particular but I have cooled off a bit having watched several other non Pats games. I think poor tackling is a league wide problem. Players now seem to think as long as they throw a shoulder at a guy that is good enough. I've seen several games this year where 25 yard passes turn into long TDs because guys just hit with their shoulders and don't wrap up with their arms.

Watch the Steelers vs Falcons highlights from yesterday you'll see what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Not just corners and safeties, though. I saw Vrabel and Colvin a couple of times not wrap up. McGehee got several additional yards because of poor tackling...

Some credit has to be given to the players we are playing. McGahee is one of the best RB's in the league because he can escape tackles.

Guys. Not to be a buzzkill but our Defense is playing some of the best ball they have played in the Belichick era right now. There is of course always room to improve and I don't want them to get complacent, but these are professional athletes that they are tackling, it's not easy.

It's been bad at times but not overall. For a team that is having so much trouble tackling they still held McG under 3 YPC and Losman under 200 passing yards. How bad could it really be?

I am not bagging on them and have been happy with the D overall. Just curious as one of the staples of a Belichick team is fundamentals. And, the Bills stopped running when they had to play catch-up.

I think you have to look at the bigger picture. Did some missed tackles happen? Sure. But McGahee ended up averaging less that 3 ypc and the defense only allowed six points and forced several turnovers. The missed tackles are going to happen from time to time, but as long as a defense forgets them and plays good team D the rest of the time then they'll be alright. For three weeks straight they've been able to do just that and very well.

zippo59 said:
Some credit has to be given to the players we are playing. McGahee is one of the best RB's in the league because he can escape tackles.

Bingo says Mr. Brown!

Only a couple of years ago the Pats were being used as example of being one of the best tackling teams in the NFL so I think we've been spoiled to some extent. I'm certain its one of those fundamentals that are all important to BB and his coaches, and that it will improve as the season progresses. Part of the problem may be attributed to poor tackling techniques being taught at the college level.

Starting with the Cincy game the tackling has improved markedly. The first three game, tackling was a weakness but they seem to have improved and it' not the problem that it was.

In the NFL they are palying agiants the best football players in the world, so there will always be missed or broken tackles.

WTF is that Patsnut.....:rofl:

mgcolby said:
WTF is that Patsnut.....:rofl:

Are you referring to the tribute to our next opponant?

PATSNUTme said:
Are you referring to the tribute to our next opponant?

Yes! Yes, I am. Geico called they want their caveman back!:D

The defense against McGahee looked a lot worse to the eye than it looked on the stat sheet. I for one was fooled.

I think the true story is that they were stopping McGahee at or behind the LOS, but that he just kept squirting/falling forward before they had time to wrap up completely. Tough to fault them for that.

Fencer said:
The defense against McGahee looked a lot worse to the eye than it looked on the stat sheet.

That is absolutely right. Sure, it was frustrating to watch five yard plays turn into first downs, but the key point is that the defense was in position and didn't give up the big play.

I think that BB himself won't have been thrilled with that aspect of the game, but it's much easier to fix than last season when some of our players (notably Monty Beisel and Duane Starks) didn't seem to know where they were supposed to be.

If there's a problem, it's not about play in college, I think, because the main culprits were the linebackers -- a notably "senior" group. I'm inclined to think that it is just one of the (many) things that the team needs to work on -- and that it will.

In the first couple of games when Seau first arrived he was over running plays and getting out of position for a standup tackle. But he has acclimated and slowed down; now he is squaring up fro the tackle and stopping runs by palyers breaking reaching arm tackles.

I too thought that McGahee had much more yardage then the stat sheet showed. He was falling forward for a couple of yards but getting the initial hit at the LOS or so.

Fencer said:
The defense against McGahee looked a lot worse to the eye than it looked on the stat sheet. I for one was fooled.

I think the true story is that they were stopping McGahee at or behind the LOS, but that he just kept squirting/falling forward before they had time to wrap up completely. Tough to fault them for that.

Yep, this happened several times. They'd have him for a three or four yard loss and he'd turn it into a 1 or 2 yard gain. It looks bad to the eye because he just got five yards from contact and made a great looking run, but it looks good on the stat sheet where 1 or 2 yard gains do nothing good for your average. That's what happens when a D is playing really well: Even great looking runs don't always mean you gained anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick