PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Young, this year's Aaron Rogers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Last year the media built up Rodgers in order to create hype surrounding the #1 pick. I think everyone honestly knew that Smith was the clear #1 QB and QB was the #1 need for the 49er's. This year there is Vince Young, a great college QB who ended his college career on the highest of highs. But is he a top ten, even first round, talent. Watching him a few game (including his finalle) I don't think so. I think he is the typical college talent who won't be able to adjust to the pro game. Every time that I saw him pressured he immediately tucked the ball and ran. I never once saw him scramble and look downfield at the same time. Also I think his accuracy is lacking, not to mention his throwing motion.
I admit that I fell for this for a short time. I even started a post on why he could be the #1 overall pick.

I believe his minister is his agent and his brother-in-law, who was a high school teacher, is his business manager.

This could be Rickey Williams all over again.

young

And given a 6 on the wonderlic, I think he too will slide and deservedly so. His accuracy and timing are highly suspect, and given the doubts on his intelligence, He should drop.

but some numbnuts front office guy or coach will have a mental lapse and draft him early. I would say he doesn't slide past Arizona.

That Wonderlic stuff is way over-rated. Just imagine BB starting a conversation with a potential draftee like this: "A train leaves New York at 4:00 pm traveling at 45 MPH..."

The questions need to be tailored to the job. A better test would involve something like "You've called play X. Before the snap the FS is here and the SS is there and after the TE goes in motion X, Y, and Z happen, where's your first read?"

Oh and while I never took the Wonderlic, I did pretty good on the SAT, so I got nothing against standardized tests, and I can see their value as a useful way of evaluating lots of people very cheaply; but a potential 1st rounder needs a much better evaluation than a written test can provide.

if he fell to us at 21, and cromartie was still on the board (noone else worth taking was still on there), what would you do?

mavfan2390 said:
if he fell to us at 21, and cromartie was still on the board (noone else worth taking was still on there), what would you do?
Someone will be there. Are you actually implying we might take Vine Young? What are you smoking?

why not? let him prove himself in preseason then trade him to raiders for fifty first rounders.... :D

KY Pats Fan said:
And given a 6 on the wonderlic, I think he too will slide and deservedly so. His accuracy and timing are highly suspect, and given the doubts on his intelligence, He should drop.

but some numbnuts front office guy or coach will have a mental lapse and draft him early. I would say he doesn't slide past Arizona.

Vince Young did NOT score a 6 on the Wonderlic. He scored a 16. The 6 was a mis-scored test and thrown out.

As for his accuracy being suspect, its only suspect by people who ignore that he had a 68% completion rating.

DaBruinz said:
Vince Young did NOT score a 6 on the Wonderlic. He scored a 16. The 6 was a mis-scored test and thrown out.

There's actually some debate about it. Some think it was a League cover-up to pacify Vince, his agents, and Mack Brown for leaking his score. These people say that scoring tests are so easy (you simply add the number of questions answered right) that a chimp could grade them, and there's never been a case of someone screwing up the scoring before.

In any case, his agent has admitted that he told Vince not to bother preparing for it. I'm sure when he retakes the test he'll score in the 19-24 range.

If Vince Young was there at 21, which he definitely won't be, you obviously take him. Then you play him at WR until he learns to be a better QB and trade him.

dryheat44 said:
There's actually some debate about it. Some think it was a League cover-up to pacify Vince, his agents, and Mack Brown for leaking his score. These people say that scoring tests are so easy (you simply add the number of questions answered right) that a chimp could grade them, and there's never been a case of someone screwing up the scoring before.

In any case, his agent has admitted that he told Vince not to bother preparing for it. I'm sure when he retakes the test he'll score in the 19-24 range.

Actually, the article that I read from Charlie Casserly of the Texans said that there had been a few mis-scored tests previously. You can score them wrong if you use the wrong answer key to correct them, btw.

If Vince Young falls to #21 you offer the pick to the highest bidder then run away with a boatload of mid round picks knowing you got away with highway robbery.

stinkypete said:
If Vince Young falls to #21 you offer the pick to the highest bidder then run away with a boatload of mid round picks knowing you got away with highway robbery.
Exactly... please let it happen.

jeffd said:
Last year the media built up Rodgers in order to create hype surrounding the #1 pick. I think everyone honestly knew that Smith was the clear #1 QB and QB was the #1 need for the 49er's.
I don't think that's true. There was obviously some debate about who was better or who would be more suitable for what system, but I don't think that was media driven. If anything it seemed like the media was pumping Smith and then challenging the 49ers to pay him, like somehow drafting Smith with the first pick of the draft was going to cost them more money than drafting Rodgers with the first pick. That was posturing that never made any sense to me. And the fact that Rodgers was taken by the Packers with the 24th pick doesn't say anything about Rodgers' talent or abilities or quality as a QB relative to Smith, it just means 22 teams had other needs they wanted to address.

Re: Vince Young -- I think you are very wrong about him. I think he can be a very successful NFL QB. If he stays the same, he won't be, but you could say that about any college player going into the NFL.

dryheat44 said:
You could say the same thing about the NFL coin flip, but someone found a way to screw that up...

I still see Vince Young as a great QB. He's a Michael Vick that can pass! I still can't understand how Vick can get so much love and Young so much doubt. Back when Vick was drafted many people (San Diego excluded) were saying Vick was a clear franchise QB. Even then Vick had a completion % in the 50s. He couldn't pass worth a lick. Young can definitely pass, and he runs extremely well. I really think the teams that pass up Young are going to regret it. Of course, the Pats don't need a QB, so this point is moot on this board.

He should go to the titans. Macnair is gunna be there an extra year, and this would give yougna chance to learn from him. Leaern how to throw on the run, and fix the delivery. He will do best in Tenn cause they are both mobile, and he would learn the more sitting behind macnair than any other quaterback in the lead; cause they have a close relationship and similiar style.

jeremiahct said:
He should go to the titans. Macnair is gunna be there an extra year, and this would give yougna chance to learn from him. Leaern how to throw on the run, and fix the delivery. He will do best in Tenn cause they are both mobile, and he would learn the more sitting behind macnair than any other quaterback in the lead; cause they have a close relationship and similiar style.

I think the Titans will opt for Leinhart, which opens the door for Young to tumble. If he gets past the Raiders, I think he'll fall all the way to the Vikings.

dryheat44 said:
I think the Titans will opt for Leinhart, which opens the door for Young to tumble. If he gets past the Raiders, I think he'll fall all the way to the Vikings.
Only if there are no trades. I bet Shanahan trades up for him. Young in that rollout based offense would be sick to defend.

BelichickFan said:
Only if there are no trades. I bet Shanahan trades up for him. Young in that rollout based offense would be sick to defend.

That's very interesting. You might be right.

They could easily get ahead of Oaklank. SF is probably looking for a trade down. However, I think Denver did the deal to try to make sure they get one of Holmes or Jackson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes