PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This issue of respect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Why are people so concerned about "respect" all the time?

I actually had someone on the Internet tell me I have lost their respect, as though they thought that would really matter to me!

Keep things in perspective people...

Internet chat boards are just places to spout opinions and have some fun and diss and rag a little...

"Respect" from Internet board posters is overrated!

We don't even really know anything about each other, save for the poop that we blow all over these boards!

"Internet board respect" has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

It's right up there with these athletes that get in the media and talk about "feeding my familiy" and getting "mine" and getting "respect"!

All we do is side or not side with each other based on who agrees with who on that issue at that moment and who doesn't, so why sweat it...

Follow two rules, so you can live a more meaningful life:

1. Rule 62 - Stop taking yourself so seriously!

2. Always just say how you feel and let the chips fall where they may!

And. most of all, please concentrate on earning your respect in life from your God and your family and your employer and your friends and the people you love and care for...

If you're seeking respect on Internet Boards, you really need to, as the shrinks like to say, "take a look at yourself"!

His Holiness Hath Spoken...

Armen Da Pats Fan

(Founder of the 2006 Stephen Gostkowski Fan Club -
Call 1-800-SHANKEM for more information)

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Why are poeple so concerned about "respect" all the time?

I actually had someone on the Internet tell me I have lost their respect, as though they thought that would really matter to me!

Keep things in perspective people...

Internet chat boards are just places to spout opinions and have some fun and diss and rag a little...

"Respect" from Internet board posters is overrated!

We don't even really know anything about each other, save for the poop that we blow all over these boards!

"Internet board respect" has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

It's right up there with these athletes that get in the media and talk about "feeding my familiy" and getting "mine" and getting "respect"!

All we do is side or not side with each other based on who agrees with who on that issue at that moment and who doesn't, so why sweat it...

Follow two rules, so you can live a more meaningful life:

1. Rule 62 - Stop taking yourself so seriously!

2. Always just say how you feel and let the chips fall where they may!

And. most of all, please concentrate on earning your respect in life from your God and your family and your employer and your friends and the people you love and care for...

If you're seeking respect on Internet Boards, you really need to, as the shrinks like to say, "take a look at yourself"!

His Holiness Hath Spoken...

Armen Da Pats Fan

(Founder of the 2006 Stephen Gostkowski Fan Club -
Call 1-800-SHANKEM for more information)

hankem

I disagree. You can still "spout opinions and have some fun and diss and rag a little" without being unkind toward fellow posters in the process. If someone truly has it comin' to them that's another thing, but there's too little civility in "real life" as it is.

Tunescribe said:
I disagree. You can still "spout opinions and have some fun and diss and rag a little" without being unkind toward fellow posters in the process. If someone truly has it comin' to them that's another thing, but there's too little civility in "real life" as it is.

yes, and also, there is a certain amount of basic sensibility people expect when having a logical discussion. If your just nonsensical with your thoughts you cause people to become frustrated with the discussion and not want to discuss things with oyu anymore. They begin to see you as a loon and not worth the bother. That is the respect that I think people were expressing to him based on his thread about Gostkowski. It doesn't need to shape your world - what people think of you on a message board. But it can effect your experience with others when intereacting on the board.

there's nothing wrong with having an alternate opinion on something, but if you don't have any logic in discussing your opinons people get fed up with you.

that's true anywhere.

Amen Armen! :rocker:

I think double spacing is overrated.

If you can respect or not respect a reporter, then you can respect or not respect a message board user. Particularly on this site where normally what you read in posts is as good or better than what is in the papers.

Just because we're anonymous does not mean that we're immune to opinions being drawn about who we are. We present alot of our thoughts and personalities through our words here.

And unless you feel that the only thing one can be judged by is how he or she looks, then I think that we have plenty to base opinions on from what we read here. IMO, anyway.

Tunescribe said:

I am NEVER unkind to fellow posters...

But I do rag and diss these multi-million dollar babies we call athletes...

Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Alex Rodrgiuez, Richard Seymour, Adam Vinatieri, Manny Ramirez, Stephen Shankskowski...

They have all made onto my radar at one point or another...

I would challenge anyone to produce even ONE instance where I have directly attacked anyone on this or any other board...

(And I know I can find at least 4-5 instances where I have been attacked by poster son this board because of my opinions...I have been called "Armen Da Crap Fan", chicken little, etc....I rather like Armen Da Crap Fan, but that's a whole other story...)

I do sometimes attack the athletes, yes, but then again, they deserve it, overpaid little babies that they are! (LOL!)

ADPF

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Why are poeple so concerned about "respect" all the time?

hankem

I sent your post over to Rodney to get his take and he said he'll see you after the game on Sunday. Wants to know where he can meet you, before he takes his shower and changes, etc. Not sure what he wants, but he sounded very excited for some reason (??).

SamBam39 said:
yes, and also, there is a certain amount of basic sensibility people expect when having a logical discussion. If your just nonsensical with your thoughts you cause people to become frustrated with the discussion and not want to discuss things with oyu anymore. They begin to see you as a loon and not worth the bother. That is the respect that I think people were expressing to him based on his thread about Gostkowski. It doesn't need to shape your world - what people think of you on a message board. But it can effect your experience with others when intereacting on the board.

there's nothing wrong with having an alternate opinion on something, but if you don't have any logic in discussing your opinons people get fed up with you.

that's true anywhere.

Well, okay, I'll accept that...

But I thought I did have good logic on my Gostkowski point...

I would prefer a veteran kicker on this team while this kid figures out how to be an NFL kicker...I don't want to cut him, I just want to sit him on the PS for awhile to get his head in order...

What's so "unsensible" about that except that some would agree and some would not?

And I think I have engaged in some great discussions with some great fans on this board, and intend to continue to do so, whether one or two or more don't like me, doesn't really matter.

A country boy can survive!

ADPF

Last edited:
Fogbuster said:
I sent your post over to Rodney to get his take and he said he'll see you after the game on Sunday. Wants to know where he can meet you, before he takes his shower and changes, etc. Not sure what he wants, but he sounded very excited for some reason (??).

LOL!

Tell him I can't make it...

I gotta go "get mine" so I can "feed my family" and get some "'Spect"!

By the way, Rodney Harrison? That's one phukker I would NEVER diss.

THAT boy has my respect AND admiration!

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Well, okay, I'll accept that...

But I thought I did have good logic on my Gostkowski point...

I would prefer a veteran kicker on this team while this kid figures out how to be an NFL kicker...I don't want to cut him, I just want to sit him on the PS for awhile to get his head in order...

What's so "unsensible" about that except that some would agree and some would not?

And I think I have engaged in some great discussions with some great fans on this board, and intend to continue to do so, whether one or two or more don't like me, doesn't really matter.

A country boy can survive!

ADPF

If you'd stated your point in such direct terms you'd proably not have run into so much hostility. It's when you started portraying yourself as immature, warranted or not, by calling Gost names that people took issue with the point of your post. If you'd stated your opinion without the apparent vitriol then you'd probably have been greeted with less of the same in return.

People care about the team, and through that, the players too. So when you knock a player (especially a rookie) with silly tag-names like 'shankowski' etc, then you're going to take your lumps. It's best just to accept it.

Why don't you ask the Pats players and coaches since they seem to be obsessed with respect to a level not witnessed on earth since the days of Napoleon.

Brownfan80 said:
If you'd stated your point in such direct terms you'd proably not have run into so much hostility. It's when you started portraying yourself as immature, warranted or not, by calling Gost names that people took issue with the point of your post. If you'd stated your opinion without the apparent vitriol then you'd probably have been greeted with less of the same in return.

People care about the team, and through that, the players too. So when you knock a player (especially a rookie) with silly tag-names like 'shankowski' etc, then you're going to take your lumps. It's best just to accept it.

I care about the team, too, but I am not in this blind faith mode where everything "Patriots" is golden!

Gostkowski is struggling - and rookie or no rookie - he's making big dough, and we're depending on him, so he needs to get his krap together. PERIOD.

"To whom much has been given, much is expected", someone REALLY smart said once!

And I don't mind taking lumps, just don't make it like it's life or death and about respect!

And the "Shankskowski" / "Brickowski" thing was awesome!

Many of you told me so, in secret, via email, but you couldn't state your feelings in public for fear of loss of respect!

And finally, the only people on ths board I truly respect are those I have had the pleasure to tailgate with!

They are METAL GODS!

The rest of you I just "like a lot as friends"...

ADPF

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:
LOL!

Tell him I can't make it...

;)

I gotta go "get mine" so I can "feed my family" and get some "'Spect"!

By the way, Rodney Harrison? That's one phukker I would NEVER diss.

THAT boy has my respect AND admiration!

:yeahthat:

Gotta love Rodney. Wears it all on his sleeve.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I care about the team, too, but I am not in this blind faith mode where everything "Patriots" is golden!

Gostkowski is struggling - and rookie or no rookie - he's making big dough, and we're depending on him, so he needs to get his krap together. PERIOD.

"To whom much has been given, much is expected", someone REALLY smart said once!

And I don't mind taking lumps, just don't make it like it's life or death and about respect!

And the "Shankskowski" / "Brickowski" thing was awesome!

Many of you told me so, in secret, via email, but you couldn't state your feelings in public for fear of loss of respect!

And finally, the only people on ths board I truly respect are those I have have had the pleasure to tailgate with!

They are METAL GODS!

ADPF

It's all a matter of perspective and opinion, I suppose. I spend alot of time on this board. I wouldn't if there weren't opinions and personalities that I respected. What would be the point?

ClosingTime said:
Why don't you ask the Pats players and coaches since they seem to be obsessed with respect to a level not witnessed on earth since the days of Napoleon.

Now that's interesting, because if they want respect because they want it for the team, I am all for that...

But if they want respect because they want to satify their own egos, then phuk 'em.

(Yes, I am tlaking to you Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Damien Woody, Chad Eaton, Deion Branch, Adam Vinatieri, Ted Washington, David Givens, et al)

ADPF

Brownfan80 said:
It's all a matter of perspective and opinion, I suppose. I spend alot of time on this board. I wouldn't if there weren't opinions and personalities that I respected. What would be the point?

I LOVE your personalities and opinions...

It's why I am here EVERY DAY reading and posting...

But if all of a sudden you decided you didn't "respect" me because my opinion differed from yours or I called one of your heroes a name...

Well, no offense, but that doesn't bother me that much...

That's all I'm saying...

Keep the energy coming, though...

Peace. Out. Respect!

ADPF

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Now that's interesting, because if they want respect because they want it for the team, I am all for that...

The question was why? Why do they care about it? Seriously. they have taken it to comical levels. Just play the friggin game.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I LOVE your personalities and opinions...

It's why I am here EVERY DAY reading and posting...

But if all of a sudden you decided you didn't "respect" me because my opinion differed from yours or I called one of your heroes a name...

Well, no offense, but that doesn't bother me that much...

That's all I'm saying...

Keep the energy coming, though...

Peace. Out. Respect!

ADPF

I get your point now. It's good that you have your priorities set.

But the counterpoint is this (not saying that I feel this way): Many posters are not like you. Many would not tailgate with a poster that they do not like from the web. So for some, what they garner from here on the boards does in fact carry over into 'real life' and affect such things as their respect for a person, etc.

We all have our own thoughts and thought patterns. It's nice that you can debate all day long with someone on a messageboard, and then still tailgate with them before a game. But it's up to you to understand that everyone else may be different, and not view the world quite the same way.

But hey, have a great weekend, stay safe, and go Pats! Tip a mug for me, alright?

Brownfan80 said:
I get your point now. It's good that you have your priorities set.

But the counterpoint is this (not saying that I feel this way): Many posters are not like you. Many would not tailgate with a poster that they do not like from the web. So for some, what they garner from here on the boards does in fact carry over into 'real life' and affect such things as their respect for a person, etc.

We all have our own thoughts and thought patterns. It's nice that you can debate all day long with someone on a messageboard, and then still tailgate with them before a game. But it's up to you to understand that everyone else may be different, and not view the world quite the same way.

But hey, have a great weekend, stay safe, and go Pats! Tip a mug for me, alright?

I will tip one for you for sure, sir. But it won't have beer in it!

Had my last drink 11/03/93!

Iced tea, maybe?

By the way, I proved my inate ability to "look past the debate and concentrate on the 'gate" when I tailgated with the one and only Soothsayer!

Twice!

(For those of you that don't remember, he was an abrasive, but die-hard Jet fan!)

Have a nice weekend lad!

ADPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results