Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just read this on their site:

Jets Acquire TE Ryan and WR Thomas, Trade TE Jolley

change font email article
The New York Jets announced Thursday they have acquired tight end Sean Ryan, from the Dallas Cowboys for an undisclosed draft pick, and claimed wide receiver Sloan Thomas off of waivers from Tennessee. The Jets also traded tight end Doug Jolley to Tampa Bay for an undisclosed draft pick. The announcements were made by Jets’ General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Ryan, 6-5, 265, is in his third year in the NFL after being drafted by the Cowboys in the fifth round of the 2004 Draft, 144th overall. Ryan has played in nine games with two starts. The Boston College product started his career as a defensive end, but moved to tight end with 75 catches for 950 yards and 12 touchdowns. His 12 scores rank second for tight ends in the school’s history.

Thomas, 6-1, 203, was waived by the Titans on August 29, 2006, after playing in one game in 2005 for Tennessee, recording two special teams tackles. The University of Texas product was originally drafted by the Houston Texans in the seventh-round of the 2004 NFL Draft. He finished his college career with 88 receptions for 1,362 yards (15.5 avg.) and 12 touchdowns. His 88 catches rank 10th on the school's career-record list and his 12 scoring grabs are tied for seventh.

Jolley, 6-4, 250, was acquired by the Jets on April 24, 2005 after spending three seasons with Oakland. Jolley, in his fifth season as a professional, originally entered the NFL in 2002 as the Raiders’ second round draft pick, 55th overall. Jolley has played

That was a good investment for a 1st round pick.

Well we're talking the Jesters here. They took Ken O'Brien over Marino!

primetime said:

I know!

I remember being shocked they would give up a number 1 pick for that guy.

well - mangini is cleaning house over there - produce or be gone - nice going eric. he's doing what needs to be done. I read all the jets vets are complaing about the tough practices - just like they did here when both parcells and belichick came in. and they loved pete carroll and herm edwards, who proceeded to ruin the teams.

watch how long before the chiefs start imploding under happy herms watch...

gonna be interesting a couple years from now playing against nick saban and eric mangini within the division...

VJCPatriot said:

Well, didn't we take EASON over Marino on the same draft??

We may be living in a glass house on this one. LOL

old 55 said:
Well, didn't we take EASON over Marino on the same draft??

We may be living in a glass house on this one. LOL

good point!
remember hog hannah's 'skirt' comment about eason? - funny!

ever stop and picture how different things would've been if we had taken marino, and not the phins?

interesting to imagine....

SamBam39 said:
good point!
remember hog hannah's 'skirt' comment about eason? - funny!

ever stop and picture how different things would've been if we had taken marino, and not the phins?

interesting to imagine....

Can you imagine if one of the other 198 picks prior to our 199th in the 2000 NFL Draft had been Tom Brady? Shudder to think.

SamBam39 said:
I know!

I remember being shocked they would give up a number 1 pick for that guy.

well - mangini is cleaning house over there - produce or be gone - nice going eric. he's doing what needs to be done. I read all the jets vets are complaing about the tough practices - just like they did here when both parcells and belichick came in. and they loved pete carroll and herm edwards, who proceeded to ruin the teams.

watch how long before the chiefs start imploding under happy herms watch...

gonna be interesting a couple years from now playing against nick saban and eric mangini within the division...

Yeah I think the only thing that can stop the Chiefs league leading offense is Herm Edwards. The dude has a gift for impotent offenses.

That Jolley trade was terrible. It has to be one of the worst from last year. Our Starks trade was awful too but at least we only gave up a third round for that guy. I remember when I found out the Jets gave up a first for a TE named Doug Jolley, my first thought was...who?! Then I thought...hhmmm, maybe the Jets know something I don't. Turns out they didn't. That guy did absolutely nothing.

zippo59 said:
Yeah I think the only thing that can stop the Chiefs league leading offense is Herm Edwards. The dude has a gift for impotent offenses.

That Jolley trade was terrible. It has to be one of the worst from last year. Our Starks trade was awful too but at least we only gave up a third round for that guy. I remember when I found out the Jets gave up a first for a TE named Doug Jolley, my first thought was...who?! Then I thought...hhmmm, maybe the Jets know something I don't. Turns out they didn't. That guy did absolutely nothing.

he had been reasonable productive a few years prior with the raiders, and I tghink they were hoping to get lucky and fill a need with himk at te.

that was way too much to pay though and hence the cleaning out of the offices over in jetland. the raiders must still be laughing about that one!

SamBam39 said:
he had been reasonable productive a few years prior with the raiders, and I tghink they were hoping to get lucky and fill a need with himk at te.

that was way too much to pay though and hence the cleaning out of the offices over in jetland. the raiders must still be laughing about that one!

I just looked his stats up on nfl.com. The Jets are morons!

2002, played 16 games, started 3, caught 32 passes for 409 yards and 2 TD's.
2003, played 15 games, started 9, caught 31 passes for 250 yards and 1 TD.
2004, played 16 games, started 13, caught 27 passes for 313 yards and 1 TD.

That's 90 catches for 972 and 4 TD's pver the course of 3 years. A first round pick is absurd. I don't have a good perception of trade value when it comes to picks but I wouls probably give a third or fourth for that. Is that reasonable?

Looks like baby Beli is really just another herm.

VJCPatriot said:

We took Tony Eason there sparky......look at O'Brien's stats vs Eason's. In hindsight, I would have rather have taken O'Brien over Eason.

Bollinger traded to Minneosta for Ross Kolodziej.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Bollinger traded to Minneosta for Ross Kolodziej.

well - bollinger's a wuss - so that's two wussies gone from the jets.

who's this guy they got - anyone know?

desi-patsfan said:
Looks like baby Beli is really just another herm.

how do you figure?
he's getting rid of herm's mistakes, how exactly is he another herm?

I think you might be confused.

primetime said:

They didn't trade a 1st for Jolley.

They traded down from their 1st to the top of the second and drafted Nugent, the kicker from OSU. Taking a K at the top of the 2nd is kinda desperate, but they were a kick away from going deep in the playoffs. Jolley was what they got in exchange for trading back.

I wonder whether Nugent or Gostkowski will be the better player in five years.

So the Jets gave away a first round pick and this is who they could have had:
C Chris Spencer - Unproven
WR Roddy White - Unproven
DE Luis Castillo - Promising young DE
CB Marlin Jackson - Time to step up
TE Heath Miller - Has way more potential than Jolley
DT Mike Patterson - Has potential
G Logan Mankins - Of course he's a BEAST!

Now the Jets trade Jolley after ONE SEASON after giving away A FIRST ROUND PICK in 2005 they get in return probably a middle or late round pick. THE GM SHOULD BE FIRED! How did the Jets think Jolley warrented a first round pick? He didn't do crap with the Raiders. I thought it was a bad move then and it turned out to be a really bad move now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes