Replies:
Asking for your support

Why was he traded?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Final Verdict: Why was Moss traded?

Because he's an @$$h0le and part of BB's team building philosophy is no @$$h0les.

Too many young players on this team to be influenced by his actions....

Patriots will be better off without his antics....

Good Move

Other: Classified -- code word Belistrator

And "Other" is currently in the lead with 8 votes. Feel free to elaborate! :p

Like Belichick has said, a combination of factors led to this move. Based on everything we've heard so far, I think we can logically reach a few explanations for the Randy Moss trade, in no particular order:

1. Moss' inability to run all the routes in the Pats' offense. Sure, he could run all those slants or quick outs every play, but he's not going to be effective doing it. That's not his skill set. And since he's double-teamed on all of his deep routes, that's a side of the field that's practically never open. He doesn't have the versatility Belichick wants in a receiver. As others have pointed out, that limits the options the playcaller has.

2. They weren't going to re-sign him for the above reason, and on top of that Moss isn't getting any younger. He's still a great receiver, but not in the same form as 2007--which significantly hamstrings the style of offense NE was running until this year.

3. Moss knew the Pats weren't going to re-sign him, and while he was a good locker room presence, his contract situation could have become a potential conflict as the season got on--something demonstrated by his behavior after the Bengals game.

Therefore, it was decided that the best move for both parties was a trade; for the Pats, to avoid the future possibility of late-season turmoil, and to get compensation higher than a 5th round compensatory pick; for Moss, to move to an offense where he would again be the featured wide receiver, which should help him earn a larger contract either this year or in 2011.

Therefore, it was decided that the best move for both parties was a trade; for the Pats, to avoid the future possibility of late-season turmoil, and to get compensation higher than a 5th round compensatory pick; for Moss, to move to an offense where he would again be the featured wide receiver, which should help him earn a larger contract either this year or in 2011.

A possible fifth-rounder in 2012, in fact.

Other - I don't think there is a single factor in this issue, other than the two parties (Moss and the Patriots) had grown incompatible, and like any relationship that reaches such a stage, separation was inevitable. There is no need to blame anyone here, and I can empathize with both sides. Like any divorce it is sad that the promise of the union cannot continue, but let's not spend time agonizing on any particular fault.

Other: because a combo of slight decline, money, and perhaps occasional moodiness.

Other-

'Cause Belichick is apollonian and Moss is dionysian and nary the twain shall meet when tha sh*t hits the fan.

In other words, Belichick thinks he's John Wayne and Randy thinks he's a rock star. Using hindsight, I, me, I shoulda offered my services to keep Randy happy. Guy felt pretty isolated around a group of apollonian personalities. I coulda kept him occupied and had good conversations about this and that. Guy just didn't have anybody to unload or vent to whom he could relate to. I coulda psychologically taken the edge offa his frustration.

And that line "it's just business & it makes good football sense to deal him" is a load. It's personal. If you can't see past Belichick's stiff facade and know everything with this guy is personal, well...

Other-

'Cause Belichick is apollonian and Moss is dionysian and nary the twain shall meet when tha sh*t hits the fan.

In other words, Belichick thinks he's John Wayne and Randy thinks he's a rock star. Using hindsight, I, me, I shoulda offered my services to keep Randy happy. Guy felt pretty isolated around a group of apollonian personalities.....

And that line "it's just business & it makes good football sense to deal him" is a load. It's personal. If you can't see past Belichick's stiff facade and know everything with this guy is personal, well...

No matter one's response to this, you really got to like it.

Because his goals in his contract year were not in line with the goals of the team.

He wanted to showcase his skills so he could get a decent contract next year and the Pats wanted to use him as a decoy.

Other: the offensive scheme/emphasis has changed.

Like Belichick has said, a combination of factors led to this move. Based on everything we've heard so far, I think we can logically reach a few explanations for the Randy Moss trade, in no particular order:

1. Moss' inability to run all the routes in the Pats' offense. Sure, he could run all those slants or quick outs every play, but he's not going to be effective doing it. That's not his skill set. And since he's double-teamed on all of his deep routes, that's a side of the field that's practically never open. He doesn't have the versatility Belichick wants in a receiver. As others have pointed out, that limits the options the playcaller has.

2. They weren't going to re-sign him for the above reason, and on top of that Moss isn't getting any younger. He's still a great receiver, but not in the same form as 2007--which significantly hamstrings the style of offense NE was running until this year.

3. Moss knew the Pats weren't going to re-sign him, and while he was a good locker room presence, his contract situation could have become a potential conflict as the season got on--something demonstrated by his behavior after the Bengals game.

I agree, I think this is the most logical explanation of things.

BTW the options on the poll are pretty terrible.

Last edited:
Other ; BB wasn't going to keep him around after asking to be traded.

He was already gone when Brady got his contract and Moss didn't.

In my opinion, I feel it was more about New England growing impatient with Moss' show of impatience about a new contract.

From this, I think what you've is simply an ownership and front office and head coach that decided at some point to move on from Moss. And since it was unlikely that Moss would re-sign believing he'd been slighted. The team wanted something for their star wide receiver as oppose to allowing him to sign elsewhere during next off-season.

I also believe that the emergence of Tate, Hernandez and Gronkowski allows Belichick to feel a tad more comfortable with trading Moss. However, New England's supposed interest in Branch would seem to contradict this somewhat.

Brady told him to shave his scraggly beard, and Moss told him to cut his hair because it makes him look like a girl. Evidently they got physical and had to be separated. Thus spake Yahoo sports.

No, seriously.

Brady told him to shave his scraggly beard, and Moss told him to cut his hair because it makes him look like a girl. Evidently they got physical and had to be separated. Thus spake Yahoo sports.

No, seriously.

that's nothing...you should read what I post about YOU when you're
not here....not good...:scared:

I played it safe and voted for all six :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe