PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Table of Last 25 Superbowl Winners Based on Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrfitz06

On the Roster
Reaction score
I compiled a table of the last 25 super bowls based on seeds and offense and defense team rankings. Its interesting to see how all the playoff team stack up to the last 25 super bowl representatives.
Super Bowl Record by Seeds.jpg

On the bottom left of the Table the reason why I went from 2014 thru 2002 and then from 2001 thru 1990 is due to in 2002 the playoff structure changed to its current structure with 4 division winners and 2 wild cards, and 1990 was the first year there was 6 playoff teams from each conference. From 1990 to 2001 there were 3 division winners and 3 wild card winners.

Since 2000, only 4 out of 30 #1 seeds won it all. Well ill say 4 out of 27 since 3 times it was 1 vs 1. Still, that's insane. In the 90s alone there were 7.

Glass half full or glass half empty?
+Scenario: The Patriots went 2-4 in their last 6. Only one team has done this and won the SB - 2012 Ravens.
+Glass half empty: teams that go 2-4 in their last 6 virtually never win the SB.
+Glass half full: because of the very stark under representation of 2-4 teams winning the SB, statistically speaking 2-4 teams are wayyyy overdue to increase their SB win total :)

I compiled a table of the last 25 super bowls based on seeds and offense and defense team rankings. Its interesting to see how all the playoff team stack up to the last 25 super bowl representatives.
View attachment 11809
Your playoff record area is messed up. You have some seeds being 1-12 in afc playoff games and 1-0 in SB for example. That can't be possible. Plus you don't have nearly enough afc playoff games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your playoff record area is messed up. You have some seeds being 1-12 in afc playoff games and 1-0 in SB for example. That can't be possible. Plus you don't have nearly enough afc playoff games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 1-12 means that out of the last 13 years that the particular seed you were looking at made it to the super bowl 1 year out of 13 and didn't make it 12 out of the 13 years. The super bowl record directly to the right of that reflects what that seed did when it was in the super bowl, so for your example the 1-12, 1-0 "x" seed made it to the super bowl once in the last 13 years and that it also won the only super bowl that it was in. I hope this clears up the confusion.

To add a little more clarity the AFC record for the 5 seed from 2014 thru 2002 should be 0-13 not 0-25 I just realized there was a typo. Anyways the the first number in that column represents how many times that seed has been to the super bowl and the second number in that column represents how many times that seed has failed to make the super bowl in that given time frame so for both the NFC and AFC the 2 numbers from that column should total 13 from 2014 thru 2002, they should total 12 from 2001 to 1990, and they should total 25 from 2014 to 1990.

Since 2000, only 4 out of 30 #1 seeds won it all. Well ill say 4 out of 27 since 3 times it was 1 vs 1. Still, that's insane. In the 90s alone there were 7.
I wonder which is the anomaly: the current streak with fewer #1 seeds, or the 90's streak with so many?

Also, some other numbers:

From 2002-2014 (current eight-division setup): which seed makes it to the Super Bowl?

AFC Champion:
(7) --- #1 seed
(3) --- #2 seed
(1) --- #3 seed
(1) --- #4 seed
(0) --- #5 seed
(1) --- #6 seed

NFC Champion:
(6) --- #1 seed
(2) --- #2 seed
(1) --- #3 seed
(2) --- #4 seed
(1) --- #5 seed
(1) --- #6 seed

18 times a team with a first round bye has made it to the Super Bowl, in comparison to 8 times that a team having to play in the wild card has made it - even though there are twice as many teams playing in the first round than there are teams that have a bye.

That's the good news for the Patriots. The bad news is that #1 seeds make it to the Super Bowl far more often than any other seed, including more than twice as often as number twos.

+Scenario: The Patriots went 2-4 in their last 6. Only one team has done this and won the SB - 2012 Ravens.
+Glass half empty: teams that go 2-4 in their last 6 virtually never win the SB.
+Glass half full: because of the very stark under representation of 2-4 teams winning the SB, statistically speaking 2-4 teams are wayyyy overdue to increase their SB win total :)
You've gotta be a stock broker. Thats the crap I hear.

"Look on the bright side, yea...you took it on the chin but now you can buy low."

:D

Good post.

And to look into the metrics more, let's say a team must achieve 9 wins to even reach the post season (I know, I know, there have been a few outliers).

So if a team finishes 2-4 in their last six games, that means that same team must have won 7 of their first 10 games to even make the playoffs.

So I would think it extremely rare that a team that finished 2-4 would even make the playoffs let alone win the big game.

I wonder which is the anomaly: the current streak with fewer #1 seeds, or the 90's streak with so many?

Also, some other numbers:

From 2002-2014 (current eight-division setup): which seed makes it to the Super Bowl?

AFC Champion:
(7) --- #1 seed
(3) --- #2 seed
(1) --- #3 seed
(1) --- #4 seed
(0) --- #5 seed
(1) --- #6 seed

NFC Champion:
(6) --- #1 seed
(2) --- #2 seed
(1) --- #3 seed
(2) --- #4 seed
(1) --- #5 seed
(1) --- #6 seed

18 times a team with a first round bye has made it to the Super Bowl, in comparison to 8 times that a team having to play in the wild card has made it - even though there are twice as many teams playing in the first round than there are teams that have a bye.

That's the good news for the Patriots. The bad news is that #1 seeds make it to the Super Bowl far more often than any other seed, including more than twice as often as number twos.

Quickly checking the 80s, 7 #1 seeds won it all that decade as well. So def the recent trend is the anomaly. Parity era

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference